Businesses around the world have adopted the new age of Cloud-based Data Warehousing & Analytics platforms like Google BigQuery instead of the traditional data storage solutions. With On-demand scaling & consistent performance with fluctuating workloads, BigQuery helps you store and analyze data to gain valuable business insights.
You can share these insights back to customer communication applications like Intercom to provide a more personalized customer experience. You can manually send data from BigQuery to Intercom using CSV files. If you need to frequently perform the data replication process, you can simplify the process by opting for a third-party solution.
In this article, you will learn how to effectively replicate data from Bigquery to Intercom using 2 Methods.
Table of Contents
- What is Google BigQuery?
- What is Intercom?
- Why Connect Google BigQuery to Intercom?
- How to Connect Google BigQuery to Intercom? 2 Easy Methods
What is Google BigQuery?
Launched in 2010, BigQuery is a Cloud-Based Data Warehouse service offered by Google. It is built to handle petabytes of data and can automatically scale as your business flourishes. Developers at Google have designed its architecture to keep the storage and computing resources separate. This makes querying more fluid as you can scale them independently without sacrificing performance.
Since there is no physical infrastructure present similar to the conventional server rooms for you to manage and maintain, you can focus all your workforce and effort on important business goals. Using standard SQL, you can accurately analyze your data and execute complex queries from multiple users simultaneously.
Key Features of Google BigQuery
Google BigQuery has continuously evolved over the years and is offering some of the most intuitive features :
- User Friendly: With just a few clicks, you can start storing and analyzing your data in Big Query. An easy-to-understand interface with simple instructions at every step allows you to set up your cloud data warehouse quickly as you don’t need to deploy clusters, set your storage size, or compression and encryption settings.
- On-Demand Storage Scaling: With ever-growing data needs, you can rest assured that it will scale automatically when required. Based on Colossus (Google Global Storage System), it stores data in a columnar format with the ability to directly work on the compressed data without decompressing the files on the go.
- Real-Time Analytics: Stay updated with real-time data transfer and accelerated analytics as BigQuery optimally allocates any number of resources to provide the best performance and provide results so that you can generate business reports when requested.
- BigQuery ML: Armed with machine learning capabilities, you can effectively design and build data models using existing SQL Commands. This eliminates the need for technical know-how of machine learning and empowers your data analysts to directly evaluate ML models.
- Optimization Tools: To boost your query performance, Google provides BigQuery partitioning and clustering features for faster results. You also change the default datasets and table’s expiration settings for optimal storage costs and usage.
- Secure: BigQuery allows administrators to set access permissions to the data by groups and individuals. You can also enable row-level security for access to certain rows of a dataset. Data is encrypted before being written on the disk as well as during the transit phase. It also allows you to manage the encryption keys for your data.
- Google Environment: Maintained and managed by Google, BigQuery enjoys the easy and fluid integrations with various applications present in the Google Ecosystem. With little to no friction at all, you can connect BigQuery to Google Sheets and Google Data Studio for further analysis.
What is Intercom?
Intercom is a widely used in-app messaging & customer engagement solution used by many companies for customer support, onboarding, and engagement. It provided extensive user support with email and live chat. It also provides a responsive help desk and knowledge base to quickly resolve customer inquiries. Intercom can be used by multiple departments in a firm such as a sales team engaging with the unsubscribed website visitors or the product team seeking for product feedback and insights into how users interact with the product.
Explore Methods to Connect BigQuery to Intercom
This method to integrate BigQuery and Intercom involves manually exporting your BigQuery data to Google Cloud Storage as CSV Files using Google Cloud Console. The data present in the CSV Files then has to be modified according to the format specified by Intercom. Afterward, the data can be imported and mapped directly into Intercom. It is a lengthy process that will also require troubleshooting certain errors manually.
Hevo Activate provides a hassle-free, one-stop solution to Connect BigQuery to Intercom in an effortless manner. Hevo Activate syncs customer data in the warehouse to your Business Software. Hevo Activate brings the data to the fingertips of your business teams, where they need it the most – Business Applications. Teams can now make faster, smarter actions. Sync customer & product usage data, analyze the customer journeys and create personalized experiences with Hevo Activate.GET STARTED WITH HEVO ACTIVATE FOR FREE
Key Features of Intercom
Intercom has become one of the most popular customer engagement platforms because of the following eye-catching features:
- Live Chat: Intercom CRM LiveChat or Intercom Messenger is a widget that enterprises add to their websites and configure to ensure optimal customer communication for new and existing customers. You can design your chats for existing customers, for instance, by allowing them to select whether to continue the old chat, start a new chat, or browse the Help Center.
- Intercom Chatbot: Intercom provides easy-to-set-up chatbots that don’t require any coding to handle customer communication even if the support team is overwhelmed or requested outside business hours. You can use these to qualify, route and schedule meetings, and chat with your potential leads in real-time.
- Reporting: Intercom provides an extensive list of reports such as Leads and sales, Messages sent, Level of customer engagement in the past 7, 28, or 90 days, Customer satisfaction KPI, Conversation tags, etc. Its easy-to-use interface allows you to customize your reports by applying filters based on date, country, or tags.
- Surveys: Gather customer feedback and analyze it to improve customer experience. With intercom, you can easily save customer responses as user attributes and employ them to trigger series, customize workflows, and configure the Messenger experience.
Why Connect Google BigQuery to Intercom?
BigQuery is a popular Enterprise Data Warehousing & Analytics platform that allows you to manage & analyze your data. It provides you a complete view of all your customer data where you can gain actionable business insights. By replicating your data from BigQuery to Intercom, you can send a personalized message based on product usage or specific lead scores. This real-time data allows you to leverage possible growth opportunities like designing your go-to-market strategy & deciding on new features to build and launch.
How to Connect Google BigQuery to Intercom? 2 Easy Methods
- Method 1: Manually Connect BigQuery to Intercom using CSV Files
- Method 2: Using Hevo Activate to Connect BigQuery to Intercom
Method 1: Manually Connect BigQuery to Intercom using CSV Files
To replicate data from BigQuery to Intercom manually, you have to use CSV Files as there is no direct approach. To set up this BigQuery Intercom Integration, you can go through the following stages:
Export Biguery Data to Google Cloud Storage
BigQuery doesn’t allow you to directly download the Tables on your local machine. You can first export your Tables data as a CSV file in Google Cloud Storage and then import the file into your system. BigQuery enables the Data Export via the Cloud Console, bq extract command in the bq command-line tool, SQL, or by executing an extract job via the API or client libraries such as Python, Java, PHP, etc. You can check out our blog on different BigQuery to CSV Export methods to know more.
The easiest way is by using the Cloud Console as it doesn’t require any technical programming knowledge. To start with the process of connecting BigQuery to Intercom, follow the simple steps given below to use the Cloud Console:
- Step 1: Open the BigQuery Page in Cloud Console on your browser.
- Step 2: Navigate to the Explorer panel on the left side and expand your project and dataset. Click on the table you want to export.
- Step 3: In the Details panel, navigate to Export > Export to Cloud Storage.
- Step 4: The Export table to Google Cloud Storage dialog will pop up on your screen. Provide the following details:
- Select Google Cloud Storage Location: Browse & provide the location of the bucket, file, or folder where you need to store your CSV file.
- Export format: Select CSV format for your file.
- Compression: You can select a Compression method for your file or simply choose None for no compression.
- Step 5: Finally, click on the Export button to export your data as a CSV file in Cloud Storage. You can easily monitor the status of your Export task near the top of the navigation for Job history for an Export job.
- Step 6: Open GCS and navigate to the location where you saved your CSV file. To the right of the filename, click on the download icon.
Import CSV files to Intercom
As an Intercom Customer, you can easily import your users or leads data using a CSV file. Using CSV, you can also create custom columns. It is to be noted that via CSV, you can import username, email, userID, and signup date in the format DD/MM/YYYY, ISO 8601, or a Unix time stamp. However, you can send the time data in DD/MM/YYYY format. Before uploading your CSV files, ensure that your CSV files are correctly formatted according to Intercom.
To easily import the CSV files in Intercom, you can follow the simple steps given below:
- Step 1: Sign in to your Intercom account & navigate to New users or leads > Import People from the people list
- Step 2: The ‘Import data into intercom’ dialog box will appear on your screen. Click on the Open CSV Import Tool button.
- Step 3: Now, you can click on the ‘Import users’ button to upload a list of logged-in users or customers of your product. You can also select ‘Import leads’ to upload a list of leads into Intercom.
- Step 4: You can now Drag n Drop your CSV file and click on the Upload button. Intercom allows you to import a file up to 20 MB. For large files, you can break them into smaller files.
- Step 5: After this, choose the required columns that contain your users’ email addresses, IDs, full names, and dates of sign-up. You can do this by clicking on the Select this column option and clicking on the Confirm button.
- Step 7: For additional columns to the ones existing in Intercom, you can give your custom attributes a specific name. Click on the Confirm button after you have finalized your column name.
- Step 8: For future reference and ease of searching your CSV list, you can tag it with a memorable name such as “New_leads_Jan_2021”.
This completes the manual method to replicate data from BigQuery to Intercom using CSV files.
Method 2: Using Hevo Activate to Connect BigQuery to Intercom
Hevo Activate helps you directly transfer data from BigQuery to Intercom in just a few clicks. You can seamlessly replicate data from Data Warehouses like Snowflake, Amazon Redshift & Postgres to CRMs such as Salesforce, HubSpot, various SaaS applications like Google Sheets, and a lot more, in a completely hassle-free & automated manner.
Hevo Activate is fully managed and completely automates the process of not only loading data from your desired sources but also enriching the data and transforming it into an analysis-ready form without having to write a single line of code. Its fault-tolerant architecture ensures that the data is handled in a secure, consistent manner with zero data loss.
With a pre-built & fully managed BigQuery to Intercom connector, Hevo Activate takes care of all your data preprocessing needs and lets you focus on key business activities and draw a much more powerful insight on how to generate more leads, retain customers, and take your business to new heights of profitability. It provides a consistent & reliable solution to manage data in real-time and always have analysis-ready data in your desired destination.
Check out what makes Hevo Activate amazing:
- Real-time Data Sync: Hevo Activate allows you to transfer data quickly & efficiently. This ensures efficient utilization of bandwidth on both ends.
- Data Transformation: It provides a simple interface to perfect, modify, and enrich the data you want to transfer.
- Secure: Hevo Activate has a fault-tolerant architecture that ensures that the data is handled in a secure, consistent manner with zero data loss.
- Tremendous Connector Availability: Hevo Activate houses a large variety of connectors and lets you bring in data from numerous Marketing & SaaS applications, databases, etc. such as HubSpot, Marketo, Salesforce, Redshift, etc. in an integrated and analysis-ready form.
- Simplicity: Using Hevo Activate is easy and intuitive, ensuring that your data is exported in just a few clicks.
- Completely Managed Platform: Hevo Activate is fully managed. You need not invest time and effort to maintain or monitor the infrastructure involved in executing codes.
- Live Support: The Hevo Activate team is available round the clock to extend exceptional support to its customers through chat, email, and support calls
With Hevo Activate, you can easily set up BigQuery to Intercom Integration in 5 simple steps:
- Step 1: To replicate data from BigQuery to Intercom, you can first configure your Google BigQuery Warehouse by providing your BigQuery credentials such as your authorized Project ID, Dataset ID & the GCS Bucket. You will also need to provide a unique name for your Warehouse.
- Step 2: Select your Target as Intercom.
- Step 3: Click on the + Add Intercom Account button in the Add the Intercom Target & Sign in to your Intercom account.
- Step 4: Click on the Authorize Access button to allow Hevo to access your data.
- Step 5: Provide a unique name for Intercom Target and click on the Continue button. This completes your process to connect BigQuery to Intercom in just a few clicks.
In this article, you learned how to effectively replicate data from BigQuery to Intercom using 2 different methods. If you rarely need to send data from BigQuery to Intercom, you can manually export your tables to Google Cloud Storage and then download your CSV file into your local system. Then, you can easily upload CSV files into Intercom. However, if you need data from BigQuery in real-time with complex transformations, you can opt for a more economical & effortless Cloud-Based Reverse ETL solution like Hevo Activate!Visit our Website to Explore Hevo
Hevo Activate helps you directly transfer data from a source of your choice such as Google BigQuery, Snowflake, Amazon Redshift, etc., to any SaaS application like Intercom, CRMs like HubSpot, Salesforce, etc., in a fully automated and secure manner without having to write the code repeatedly. It will make your life easier and make data migration hassle-free. It is user-friendly, reliable, and secure.
Hevo, with its strong integration with CRM Tools like HubSpot, and Salesforce, allows you to not only export & load data but also transform & enrich your data & make it analysis-ready in a jiffy.
Tell us about your experience of connecting BigQuery to Intercom! Share your thoughts with us in the comments section below.