Mixpanel is a web-based Business Analytics Service that monitors user behavior on the Internet. It enables you to examine how people engage with your Internet-connected product on the web or through mobile apps for iOS and Android. On the other hand, Google BigQuery is a Cloud Data Warehouse that has pioneered the way for modern Data Analytics.
This article explains how to connect BigQuery to Mixpanel (Coming Soon for Hevo Activate!) and properly transfer data between the two systems. The process of transferring data from a Data Warehouse to an online SaaS platform is known as Reverse ETL, and it has considerably aided the application of Operational Analytics in a variety of industries.
Table of Contents
- What is Google BigQuery?
- What is Mixpanel?
- Understanding BigQuery to Mixpanel Integration Methods
What is Google BigQuery?
Google BigQuery is a cloud-based data warehouse with a Big Data Analytic Web Service capable of processing petabytes of data. It’s made for analyzing big amounts of data. There are two aspects to it: storage and query processing. It processes queries with the Dremel Query Engine and saves them to the Colossus File System. These two components are disconnected, allowing them to be scaled independently and on-demand. For quick data scanning, BigQuery uses Columnar Storage, as well as a tree architecture for performing ANSI SQL queries and aggregating results across huge computer clusters. Due to its quick deployment period and on-demand pricing, Google BigQuery is also serverless and meant to be incredibly scalable.
The scalable, distributed analytical engine in Google BigQuery allows you to query terabytes to hundreds of petabytes of data in a matter of seconds. BigQuery is an “externalized version” of Google’s Dremel query service, which was introduced in 2011 as V2. BigQuery gives you more alternatives by separating the computational engine that analyses your data from your storage options. Google BigQuery can be used to store and analyze data as well as to review data from other sources.
Key Features of Google BigQuery
Google BigQuery has improved over time and now includes some of the most user-friendly features:
- User-friendly: With just a few clicks, you can store and analyse your data in Google BigQuery. An easy-to-use interface with clear instructions allows you to quickly set up your cloud data warehouse because you don’t need to install clusters, choose your storage size, or configure compression and encryption settings.
- On-Demand Storage Scaling: With ever-increasing data demands, you can rest assured that it will scale automatically as needed. Google BigQuery, which is based on Google’s Colossus (Global Storage System), can store data in a columnar format and work directly on compressed data without needing to decompress files on the fly.
- Real-Time Analytics: With real-time data transfer and rapid analytics, BigQuery will keep you up to date. It allocates resources intelligently to deliver the best performance and outcomes, allowing you to generate business reports as needed.
- Scalability: Google BigQuery enables genuine scalability and consistent performance because to its massively parallel compute and secure storage engine.
- Data Ingestion Formats: Google BigQuery supports a wide range of data formats, including AVRO, CSV, JSON, and others.
- Parallel Processing: It reads data from thousands of discs at once using a cloud-based parallel query processing engine.
- Security: Data access rights for groups and individuals can be configured by Google BigQuery administrators. Access to certain rows of a dataset can likewise be restricted using row-level security. Data is encrypted both before and after it is written on disc and during transmission. It also allows you to manage the encryption keys for your files.
What is Mixpanel?
Mixpanel is a web and mobile-based business analytics and user behavior platform. It monitors consumer activity on a website to help you decipher engagement metrics and answer the most difficult questions, such as why users convert, which features to prioritize, how many customers follow up on their orders, and what keeps them coming back for more. Mixpanel (Coming Soon for Hevo Activate!) is a user-friendly interface that allows you to perform advanced analyses on the move. With just a few clicks, you can track Top User Flows, establish Cohorts, design Funnels, generate Reports, and much more.
Mixpanel(Coming Soon for Hevo Activate!) is trusted by 20,000+ customers in 150 countries and can record 250 billion events every query and ingest 8+ trillion data points per year. Mixpanel gives businesses of any size the ability to effectively evaluate and break down user activity. Mixpanel was created to assist the world in learning from its data by tracking actions rather than page views.
Key Features of Mixpanel
Here are a few key features of Mixpanel:
- Group Analytics: Mixpanel Group Analytics gives users a picture of their performance metrics at the company or account level, such as Product Adoption, Active Usage, and Retention.
- Scalable Infrastructure: Mixpanel’s scalable infrastructure allows it to analyze raw user event stream data at scale without the need for pre-computing. After consuming Trillions of events every year, Mixpanel’s architecture can handle high-volume requests in seconds.
- Security and Privacy: Mixpanel assists in the enforcement of worldwide security and privacy compliances, ensuring that consumer data is protected at rest and in transit. Mixpanel’s native SOC 2 Type II Certification, as well as enhanced encryption features, can help you manage cybersecurity risks.
- A/B Testing: A/B Testing allows you to create two versions of the same piece of content and see which one performs better with users. Mixpanel will truly show you how each version performs.
- Flows: Flows are a reporting function that allows organizations to investigate how consumers interact with their goods and where they exit the funnel, among other data. You can direct clients to the best paths using capabilities like limitless steps, cohort filtering, etc.
Benefits of Connecting BigQuery to Mixpanel
- Fast Set-up: You don’t want to spend hours attempting to set up a data tool to aggregate all of your data when you’re busy running your business. The biggest significant advantage of connecting BigQuery to Mixpanel is how simple and quick it is to set up.
- Simple Interface: Mixpanel has a straightforward user interface that allows customers to dive deeper and discover how people react to their app. As a result, they get a better understanding of how people use their software, as well as feedback on how they might improve it. BigQuery is also pretty simple to use. You enter your information into the program and pay just for what you use. It’s a cost-effective approach to help you analyze and analyze your data without the hassles of setting up your own data center.
- Data Collation and Insights: Mixpanel is more focused than other analytics service platforms. The tool’s data provides an infinite number of choices. BigQuery provides a comprehensive view of your data. These supplementary tools allow you to build reports and dashboards.
Ways to Connect BigQuery to Mixpanel
This method involves manually converting your BigQuery data into CSV Files by using certain SQL commands. The data present in the CSV Files then has to be modified according to the format specified by Mixpanel. Afterward, the data can be imported and mapped directly into Mixpanel.
Hevo Activate provides a hassle-free, one-stop solution to Connect Google BigQuery to Mixpanel (Coming Soon for Hevo Activate!) in an effortless manner. Hevo Activate syncs customer /product data in the warehouse to your Business Application. With Hevo Activate you can bring the data to fingertips of your business teams, where they need it the most – Business Applications. Teams can now make faster, smarter actions by analyzing the user journeys, and creating personalized experiences with Hevo Activate.GET STARTED WITH HEVO ACTIVATE FOR FREE
Understanding BigQuery to Mixpanel Integration Methods
- Method 1: Manual Integration of BigQuery to Mixpanel using CSV Files
- Method 2: BigQuery to Mixpanel Integration Using Hevo
Method 1: Manual Integration of BigQuery to Mixpanel using CSV Files
The journey of data from a Data Warehouse like Google BigQuery to Mixpanel can be implemented manually by the following steps:
Transfer BigQuery to CSV Files
The first step in BigQuery to Mixpanel Integration is transfering to csv files. The online UI, also known as the console, is by far the quickest way to export your data to a CSV file. This is an excellent choice if you only need to export your data once. To begin, double-check that you’re in the correct project, which you can do by looking to the left of the search bar at the top of the page. After that, you can proceed to the next steps:
- Expand the right project and dataset in the Explorer panel. Choose the table you wish to export from the drop-down menu.
- Click Export and then Export to GCS, which stands for Google Cloud Storage, on the far right.
- Choose the GCS bucket and filename you wish to export the data to from the menu that appears, such as yourbucket/yourfolder/yourdata.csv. If necessary, you can utilize the browse option to discover the suitable bucket, or you can create one first. You have the option of saving the file in a format other than CSV or compressing it with GZIP to make it smaller.
- Go to GCS and scroll through the buckets until you find the CSV file you saved. A download icon appears to the right of the filename.
Transport CSV Files to Mixpanel
To import the CSV files into Mixpanel for BigQuery to Mixpanel Integration, you are going to use the Segment CSV File Importer tool:
- Step 1: Your CSV should have the following fields:
- Identity – user ID
- Timestamp – our importer can take a variety of formats
- Step 2: Finding the Write Key
The software can connect to your workplace via the write key. A workspace is a collection of sources that are linked together so that you can control them all from the CDI. The write key can be thought of as a unique identifier.
To find the write key follow the steps below:
- Go to segment.com.
- Log in with your username and password.
- Choose the workspace you want. It’ll lead you straight to your sources.
- Select the appropriate source by clicking on it.
- Select Settings from the drop-down menu.
- Click the API keys on the left.
- Copy the Write Key as shown in the image below:
- Step 3: Uploading CSV File
Now that you’ve prepared your CSV file and copied and pasted your write key into it to connect BigQuery to Mixpanel:
- To upload your data in .csv, click the Choose File option.
- You’ll see a basic format for your file and the first two records from your CSV file after you choose it.
- At the bottom left of the page, click “Import” to finish BigQuery to Mixpanel Integration.
- If everything is in order, you will see the message “Data sent“.
That is all there is to it. You have successfully connected BigQuery to Mixpanel using CSV Files.
Method 2: BigQuery to Mixpanel Integration Using Hevo
All the above mentioned drawbacks can be overcome using an Automated Reverse-ETL Solution like Hevo Activate.
With Hevo Activate, you can empower business teams with 360° customer profiling. Sync customer and product usage data that are available in Data Warehouses, such as Amazon Redshift to CRMs like Hubspot and Business Analytics Solutions like Mixpanel (Coming Soon for Hevo Activate!). in a hassle-free & effortless manner.Sign up here for a 14-day free trial!
Instead of juggling multiple BI tools for insight, Hevo Activate enables the seamless transfer of data to all the business applications. Teams can use Hevo Activate to generate faster and more accurate results. Hevo Activate enables you to create personalized experiences for your customers.
Try our 14-day full access free trial today to experience an entirely automated hassle-free Data Replication!
Here’s how Hevo Activate is different:
- Real-Time Data Sync: Hevo Activate, with its strong integration with various data sources, allows you to transfer data quickly & efficiently. This ensures efficient utilization of bandwidth on both ends.
- No APIs, CSVs, Just SQL!: Use the powerful and smart SQL Query Editor to filter and transform data from your data warehouse table to a Target object. The in-built validation checks ensure each query is validated before you save it.
- Secure: Hevo Activate has a fault-tolerant architecture that ensures that the data is handled safely and consistently with zero data loss.
- On-Demand Sync: Hevo Activate gives users the option to resume the sync or run sync now to execute data sync as per their demand.
- Intelligent Data Type Conversion: During the mapping action, Hevo Activate transforms the field types of the synced data automatically.
- Data Transformation: Hevo Activate provides a simple interface to perfect, modify, and enrich the data you want to transfer.
- Live Support: The Hevo Activate team is available round the clock to extend exceptional support to its customers through chat, email, and support calls.
This article provided you with two detailed approaches using which you can successfully Connect BigQuery to Mixpanel (Coming Soon for Hevo Activate!) for Operational Analytics. Both of these methods are effective, but as mentioned above, there are various challenges and limitations that you will face if you are to take up the manual process. If you are willing to invest your time and resources in BigQuery to Mixpanel Integration and have no qualms about manually troubleshooting the errors, go for the first method. Otherwise, you can opt for Hevo Activate to seamlessly transfer data from Google BigQuery to Mixpanel(Coming Soon for Hevo Activate!).Visit our Website to Explore Hevo Activate
Hevo Activate will automate your data transfer process, hence allowing you to focus on other aspects of your business like analytics, customer management, etc. This platform allows you to transfer data from Cloud-based Data Warehouses like Google BigQuery, etc to various CRMs and SaaS applications. It will provide you with a hassle-free experience and make your work life much easier. It helps transfer data from Google BigQuery to a destination of your choice.
Want to take Hevo Activate for a spin? Sign Up for a 14-day free trial and experience the feature-rich Hevo suite first hand. You can also have a look at the unbeatable pricing that will help you choose the right plan for your business needs.
Share your experience of learning about connecting BigQuery to Mixpanel(Coming Soon for Hevo Activate!) in the comments section below.