In recent years, Cloud Data Warehouses have become the Single Source of Truth (SSOT) for almost every other organization. They not only store data for all departments, but they also do it in chronological and unified order. All these data stored in the data warehouses are extremely essential for any organization in its decision-making and sustenance. Snowflake is one such cloud data warehouse solution. It is a fully managed all-in-one Software as a Service (SaaS) that includes services like Data warehousing, data engineering, data lakes, data application development, data science, and safe real-time/common data sharing and consumption.
Marketo is a Marketing Automation System solution that provides users to streamline and measure the performance of their marketing workflows & campaigns. In Marketo, organizations would have to feed data about their prospects and customers in a detailed manner leveraging its services. This is where organizations using Snowflake as their data warehouse can connect Snowflake to Marketo.
In this article, you will gain information about connecting Snowflake to Marketo. You will also gain a holistic understanding of Snowflake, and Marketo, their key features, and the need for migrating data from Snowflake to Marketo.
Read along to find out in-depth information about connecting Snowflake to Marketo.
Table of Contents
- What is Snowflake?
- What is Marketo?
- Why connect Snowflake to Marketo?
- Methods for setting up Snowflake to Marketo Connection
- Method 1: Setting up Snowflake to Marketo Connection using CSV Files
- Method 2: Setting up Snowflake to Marketo Connection using Hevo Activate
- Advantages of connecting Snowflake to Marketo
What is Snowflake?
Snowflake is a cloud-based advanced Data Warehouse-as-a-Service platform. Its data architecture differs from Amazon Redshift in that it uses scalable, elastic Azure Blobs Storage as the internal storage engine and Azure Data Lake to store unstructured, structured, and on-premise data ingested through the Azure Data Factory. It enables efficient, simple, and adaptable data storage, processing, and analytic solutions.
Snowflake is not built on top of any existing database technology or “big data” software platforms. Rather, it is a combination of a new SQL database engine and an innovative architecture designed specifically for the cloud. The Snowflake Data Warehouse uses Amazon S3 policy controls, SSO, Azure SAS tokens, and Google Cloud Storage access permissions to secure and protect data. You can easily scale your storage based on your storage needs because of its multi-cluster, shared data architecture that separates storage from computing. In addition to the enterprise analytic database, Snowflake provides a plethora of special features and unique capabilities.
Key Features of Snowflake
Some of the key features of Snowflake are as follows:
- By shifting from batch loads to real-time data streams, Snowflake enables you to increase the quality and performance of your analytics pipeline.
- Snowflake uses the caching concept to swiftly provide cached results. To avoid regenerating the report when nothing has changed, Snowflake employs permanent (within the session) query results.
- Snowflake makes it possible to break down data silos and allow enterprise-wide access to valuable insights, leading to superior data-driven decision-making. This is a critical first step in improving partner relationships, optimizing pricing, reducing operational expenses, increasing sales effectiveness, and so on.
- Snowflake allows you to better understand user behavior and product usage. You may also use all available data to assure client happiness, greatly increasing product offers and driving Data Science innovation.
- Snowflake enables you to build your own Data Exchange, allowing you to securely transmit live, regulated data. It also pushes you to build data links across business divisions, as well as with partners and customers.
- Snowflake Data Lakes ensure quick incident reaction times. By aggregating enormous volumes of log data in a single area and analyzing years of log data in seconds, you may gain a comprehensive understanding of an incident.
Explore Methods for Setting Up the Snowflake to Marketo Connection
This method involves manually converting your Snowflake data into CSV Files using certain SQL commands using a BI tool, Copy Command, or SnowSQL. The SQL Commands should fetch results specific to the format aligned with the data to be loaded in Marketo (customer or leads data). The CSV files are then downloaded locally and then imported and mapped into Marketo. It is a lengthy process that will also require troubleshooting certain errors manually.
Hevo Activate provides a hassle-free, one-stop solution to connect Snowflake to Marketo in an effortless manner. It helps to sync customers, products, or any other required data in the warehouse to your Business Software. Using Hevo Activate you can bring the data to the fingertips of your business teams, where they need it the most i.e., the Business Applications. Teams can now make faster, smarter actions. Sync customer & product usage data, analyze the customer journeys and create personalized experiences with Hevo Activate.GET STARTED WITH HEVO ACTIVATE FOR FREE
What is Marketo?
Marketo is a popular Software-as-a-Service solution for monitoring and automating marketing operations. It provides a wide range of marketing-related services. Marketo is a market leader in corporate solutions that prioritize scale and advanced processes. It is built on a modular architecture, with each module being sold and used separately. These modules can be combined into bundles or used individually to provide a comprehensive marketing automation experience. Marketo’s modules include email marketing, lead management, revenue attribution, customer-based marketing, account-based marketing, etc.
Marketo does not have its own CRM (Customer Relationship Management) module; instead, it can communicate with major CRMs such as Salesforce, Microsoft Dynamics, and SAP. Marketo’s products enable the automation of various stages of digital advertising across several channels such as email, web, mobile, and others. Leads may therefore be sourced, nurtured, and monitored in real-time.
Key Features of Marketo
Marketo offers a variety of services that can help organizations and individuals generate income and improve user experience. Marketo has a number of significant characteristics, including:
- Lead Nurturing: Marketo enables businesses to segment their leads depending on Marketing Personas, Target Industries, or the kind of interactions that are happening. It also enables you to develop consumer interactions & relationships and boost conversion rates.
- SEO Tools: Search Engine Optimization is one of the most important aspects of effective marketing. Marketo integrates a variety of SEO tools in one place to help you in the process of improving your marketing standards.
- Account-Based Marketing (ABM): This technology enables organizations to create a smart list of characters that describe the personas they want to target, optimize the experience of those Leads on their website, and engage them across multiple channels such as the advertisements, web, and emails.
- A/B Testing: Marketo offers services such as E-Mail Testing that help you determine what type of content you should include in your emails and when to send them to increase conversion rates.
- Engagement Engine: With this tool, you can research and gain insights into your customers’ behavior and create flexible industry-specific E-Mail Campaigns for them.
To know more about Marketo, you can visit the following link.
Why Connect Snowflake to Marketo?
Marketo is a marketing automation application that uses behavioral data and built-in intelligence to help your team engage with your leads and consumers more effectively. Organizations can use these automated marketing campaigns to help in converting positive experiences into sales.
By connecting Snowflake to Marketo, you can easily sync all of your crucial data related to your potential leads. You can quickly integrate your contacts with more detailed information on your prospects and leads which will aid in the process of increasing the success of your marketing campaigns. You can easily execute SQL queries in Snowflake using the data of your leads and feed the results to your Marketo members data. This will not only save you time but will also significantly improve your efficiency.
As Snowflake is your Single Source of Truth, all of your organization’s data will be saved in a single location. And you don’t have to establish new tables or databases every time you want to feed something to Marketo. Rather, you may perform queries on your aggregated data saved in Snowflake to filter out the information that is truly required. And you can load this data into Marketo.
Methods for Setting Up Connection from Snowflake to Marketo
The different methods for setting up a connection from Snowflake to Marketo are as follows:
- Method 1: Setting up Snowflake to Marketo Connection using CSV Files
- Method 2: Setting up Snowflake to Marketo Connection using Hevo Activate
Method 1: Setting up Snowflake to Marketo Connection using CSV Files
You cannot directly export data from Snowflake to Marketo. You first need to export data specific to your leads from Snowflake as CSV files. You can then load the CSV files to Marketo.
The steps involved are as follows:
Step 1: Exporting data from Snowflake in CSV Format
In the process of migrating data from Snowflake to Marketo, the methods involved in exporting data from Snowflake as CSV files are as follows:
- Method 1: Connect Snowflake to a BI Tool
- Method 2: Use COPY Command to save CSV file in Cloud
- Method 3:
Method 1: Connect Snowflake to a BI Tool
You can use a BI tool to connect Snowflake to Marketo. By connecting Snowflake to a BI tool, you get the flexibility to run queries on your data and export the results of the queries in CSV format.
For example, if you are using Metabase as your BI tool, then you can directly download your query results right from the bottom right corner of the SQL query results list window.
Method 2: Use COPY Command to save CSV file in Cloud
To move your data from Snowflake to Marketo, you can also use the COPY command. You must first have a SQL client interface for this purpose. When paired with a Cloud platform such as GCP, AWS, or Azure, the COPY command becomes extremely powerful. The COPY command enables the user to store the results of any query to a cloud platform. After uploading the query results to the cloud, you can download them locally to your system and establish a reverse ETL from Snowflake to Marketo.
An example of using the COPY command to save any query result in S3 for AWS:
Method 3: Use SnowSQL to export CSV Files
SnowSQL is a command-line client that can be used to connect to Snowflake and run SQL queries as well as to conduct DDL and DML operations such as loading and unloading data from database tables. This tool is useful for migrating data from Snowflake to Marketo.
First, you need to install SnowSQL. For getting information about the installation process, you can follow the Snowflake documentation.
The syntax for exporting CSV files in Linux or macOS is as follows:
-d sales_db -s public -q 'select * from mytable limit 10' -o output_format=csv -o header=false -o timing=false > output_file.csv
The syntax for exporting CSV files in Windows is as follows:
snowsql -c my_example_connection -d sales_db -s public -q "select * from mytable limit 10" -o output_format=csv > output_file.csv
If you’re using SnowSQL, then there isn’t any need for a separate SQL client to query and download the results locally. Rather, you can directly download the CSV files while setting up a connection from Snowflake to Marketo.
Step 2: Importing CSV Files into Marketo
In the process of migrating data from Snowflake to Marketo, the steps involved in importing CSV files containing the information about your leads into Marketo are as follows:
- Login to your Marketo account.
- Click on the “Members” tab.
- Click on the “Import Members” option.
- In the Import List dialog box that appears, in the first step, select the CSV file from your local system and fill in all the details. Then, click on the “Next” button.
- In the next step, check the import preview, and match the data of different column lists to the corresponding Marketo Field data. You can also choose to ignore the fields that you don’t want to import by selecting the “Ignore” option in the drop-down menu. Then, click on the “Next” button.
- In the final step, select the appropriate Member Status. Then click on the “Import” button.
- After the successful import of the Members in CSV files, you can navigate to the “Members” tab to check if your list has been added.
Method 2: Setting up Snowflake to Marketo Connection using Hevo Activate
Hevo Activate helps you directly transfer data from Snowflake, and various other sources to CRMs such as Marketo, various SaaS applications, and a lot more, in a completely hassle-free & automated manner. Hevo Activate is fully managed and completely automates the process of not only loading data from your desired source but also enriching the data and transforming it into an analysis-ready form without having to write a single line of code. It helps transfer data from Snowflake to a destination of your choice for free. Its fault-tolerant architecture ensures that the data is handled in a secure, consistent manner with zero data loss.
Hevo Activate handles all of your data preprocessing requirements, allowing you to focus on critical business tasks and get a more strong insight into how to generate more leads, retain customers, and propel your company to new heights of profitability. It delivers a reliable and consistent solution for real-time data management and always has analysis-ready data at your selected destination. Hevo Activate will efficiently automate the process of connecting Snowflake to Marketo.
You can establish a connection from Snowflake to Marketo using Hevo Activate with the following steps:
Step 1: Configure Snowflake as your Data Source
- Go to the Asset Palette and then click on the “ACTIVATE” option.
- In the ACTIVATIONS TAB, click on the “+ CREATE ACTIVATION” button.
- The Select Warehouse page appears. Click on the “+ ADD WAREHOUSE” button.
- From the drop-down menu in the “Select Warehouse Type” page, select “Snowflake” as your source data warehouse.
- Go to the Asset Palette, then click on the “DESTINATIONS” option.
- In the Destinations List View, click on the “CREATE” button.
- In the Add Destination Page that appears, select “Snowflake” as the destination type.
- In the “Configure your Snowflake Warehouse” page that appears, you can specify the required parameters.
- After filling in the parameters, you can click on the “Test Connection” button to test connectivity with the Snowflake warehouse.
- Once the test is successful, you can click on the “SAVE WAREHOUSE” button. Now your Snowflake data warehouse is saved as a Source.
Step 2: Configure Marketo as your Target Destination
To set Marketo as your Target destination, you can follow the simple steps given below:
- Go to the Asset Palette. Then, click on the “Activate” button.
- Now you can do any of the following:
1) In the Targets List View, select the “TARGETS” button. Then click on the “+ CREATE TARGET” button.
2) In the Activations List View, select the “ACTIVATIONS” button. Then click on the “+ CREATE ACTIVATION” button.
- The Select Warehouse page appears. Select your Activate Warehouse i.e, Snowflake in this case, or click on the “+ ADD WAREHOUSE” button to add a new warehouse.
- The “Select a Target” page appears. Now, you can click on the “+ ADD TARGET” button.
- On the “Select a Target Type” page, click on the “Marketo” tile.
- In the Configure your Marketo Target page, specify the required parameters.
- Click on the “TEST & CONTINUE” button.
Check out what makes Hevo Activate amazing:
- Near Real-time Data Transfer: Hevo Activate, with its strong Integration with various sources, allows you to transfer data quickly & efficiently. This ensures efficient utilization of bandwidth on both ends.
- Data Transformation: It provides a simple interface to perfect, modify, and enrich the data you want to transfer.
- Secure: Hevo Activate has a fault-tolerant architecture that ensures that the data is handled in a secure, consistent manner with zero data loss.
- Tremendous Connector Availability: Hevo Activate houses a large variety of connectors and lets you bring in data from numerous Data Warehouses and load it into Marketing & SaaS applications, such as Salesforce, HubSpot, Zendesk, Intercom, etc. in an integrated and analysis-ready form.
- Simplicity: Using Hevo Activate is easy and intuitive, ensuring that your data is exported in just a few clicks.
- Completely Managed Platform: Hevo Activate is fully managed. You need not invest time and effort to maintain or monitor the infrastructure involved in executing codes.
- Live Support: The Hevo Activate team is available round the clock to extend exceptional support to its customers through chat, email, and support calls.
Advantages of connecting Snowflake to Marketo
Loading data from Snowflake to Marketo allows marketers to import data associated with users and marketing campaigns into Marketo.
Given below are some of the advantages of connecting Snowflake to Marketo:
- Marketing Teams can create detailed information about their leads, prospects, and customers which will help them design unique marketing campaigns specific to different segments.
- Marketing teams would be able to design better and more personalized customer experiences for their customers.
- After connecting Snowflake to Marketo, marketing Teams don’t have to rely heavily on the data engineers to manually download, transform and load the information about their prospects from Snowflake thus saving time.
- Marketing and Sales teams can better understand their customers’ expectations and accordingly plan their advertising strategies.
In this article, you have learned about the different methods of connecting Snowflake to Marketo. You also learned about Snowflake, and Marketo, their key features, and the need for syncing data from Snowflake to Marketo.
Creating & managing multiple connections between Snowflake, Google BigQuery, Google sheets and all the applications in your business is a time-consuming & resource-intensive task. You can opt for a more economical & effortless approach by automating your workflow via a Cloud-Based Reverse ETL Tool like Hevo Activate!visit our website to explore hevo
Hevo Activate helps you directly transfer data from a source of your choices such as Google BigQuery, Snowflake, Amazon Redshift to Google Sheets, and CRMs like Salesforce, HubSpot, etc., in a fully automated and secure manner without having to write the code repeatedly.
Hevo, with its strong integration with CRM Tools like HubSpot, and Salesforce, allows you to not only export & load data but also transform & enrich your data & make it analysis-ready in a jiffy.
Tell us about your experience of connecting Snowflake to Marketo! Share your thoughts with us in the comments section below.