Most businesses nowadays collect massive amounts of data from various platforms like Customer Relationship Management Systems (CRMs), Customer Support Tools, Sales & Marketing Dashboards, and a lot more. This data is in huge volumes and can only be efficiently stored and analyzed in Data Warehouses.
Snowflake is one of the leading solutions for Cloud-based Data Warehouses that is effective in handling complex and huge volumes of data. It provides a reliable and robust solution to store and make sense of this business data.
Mixpanel is a popular Business Analytics Platform that tracks user data to generate insights that impact customer impressions for businesses on their websites and product pages. By connecting Snowflake to Mixpanel, you and your organization can uncover minute details about your website and alter parameters to improve user experience. Also, Snowflake to Mixpanel integration allows historical analysis that can be used to understand the changes based on improvements done.
This article gives you a comprehensive overview of Snowflake and Mixpanel. It also discusses two methods to connect Snowflake to Mixpanel. The first method uses CSV files to transfer data. The second is a faster and simpler method using Hevo Activate to sync data in real time from Snowflake to Mixpanel.
Table Of Contents
- What is Snowflake?
- What is Mixpanel?
- What are the Benefits of Using Mixpanel with Snowflake?
- Methods for Snowflake to Mixpanel Integration
- Method 1: Manual Method to Copy Data from Snowflake to Mixpanel
- Method 2: Replicating Data from Snowflake to Mixpanel using Hevo Activate
What is Snowflake?
Snowflake is a leading and fully managed Cloud Data Warehouse solution. It can be hosted on cloud platforms like Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud Storage (GCS), and Microsoft Azure. Snowflake comprises several services ranging from Data Warehousing and Data Lakes to Data Analytics, and many more.
Snowflake employs a columnar data storage architecture, that enables optimized and efficient data storage, along with blistering fast query processing. It uses SQL queries to perform operations on data, making it nearly real-time in fetching information.
Snowflake is a fully managed cloud-based SaaS platform. It enables you to focus more on your data rather than configuring storage, performance requirements, maintenance, or other parameters. Snowflake offers a free trial of 30 days post which the pricing is only for the storage and compute resources you actually use.
Key Features of Snowflake
- Connectors and Drivers: Snowflake provides you with a large collection of connectors and drivers. It has connectors for Node.Js, .NET, JDBC, PHP, and many more.
- Unique Architecture: Snowflake employs a unique architecture that makes it stand out from its competition. This architecture enables Snowflake to scale independently for storage and compute resources and a pay-as-you-go pricing policy.
- Data Sharing: Snowflake has a data-sharing feature that enables you to share items from one database to other without duplicating data. This allows for better storage use with faster accessibility.
- Result Caching: Snowflake has a provision to cache user results at different levels. The cache memory can store the information for about 24 hours. This allows for faster querying if the same results are requested again.
What is Mixpanel?
Mixpanel is a popular Business Analytics Platform available as both a web and mobile application. It is efficient in understanding engagement metrics on product pages. Information like which group of visitors convert to potential customers, website features that are visited the most, click behavior on the page and many more can be tracked and analyzed in Mixpanel so that proper development and updated pattern can be deduced.
Mixpanel offers an easy-to-use user interface that provides various tools required for analytics under a single platform. The Mixpanel UI also allows the creation of cohorts, funnels, and many more customer models with just a few clicks.
Mixpanel is used by over 20,000+ businesses and customers spread across the globe. It currently tracks 250 billion events and ingests 8 trillion data points for better Data Analysis.
Key Features of Mixpanel
- Combi-Analytics: Mixpanel enables users to gain a combined and holistic overview of their performance metrics like product adoption, active usage, and group analytics.
- Scalable Infrastructure: Mixpanel enables scaling based on the user’s raw data. The scaling is dynamic and in real-time as it does not require any additional computation for the volume calculation of ingested data.
- Security and Privacy: Mixpanel is a secure platform and incorporates all the global security and privacy compliance. It also protects your data from cyber-attacks by employing SOC Type II certification and encrypting the data.
- A/B Testing: Mixpanel has the provision for A/B Testing that enables you to compose two versions of the same content and test them separately to identify which one users respond better to. After the tests, Mixpanel shows you comprehensive reports on the performance of both versions.
- Flows: Mixpanel has a feature named “flows”. It is a reporting feature that allows businesses to explore how users navigate their products, and where they drop off from the funnel, among other metrics. Interesting features such as unlimited steps, filter by cohort, etc. allow you to drive the customers towards the optimal paths.
Explore Methods to Connect Snowflake to Mixpanel
Mixpanel is an efficient Business Analytics Solution that helps in understanding customer behavior better. This tool helps businesses understand the parameters to be altered in order to convert visitors to customers. Snowflake is efficient in storing business data. By copying data from Snowflake to Mixpanel, you can find accurate and impactful insights. The replication of data from Snowflake to Mixpanel can be done in two ways:
This method involves manually converting your Snowflake data into CSV Files using SQL commands. The data present in the CSV Files then has to be modified according to the format supported by Mixpanel. And then, the CSV can be imported into Mixpanel to perform Analytics. It is a lengthy and complex process for connecting Snowflake to Mixpanel.
Hevo Activate provides a hassle-free, one-stop solution to connect Snowflake to Mixpanel (Coming Soon For Hevo Activate!) in an effortless manner. Hevo Activate syncs customer /product data in the warehouse to your Business Application. With Hevo Activate you can bring the data to the fingertips of your business teams, where they need it the most – Business Applications. Teams can now make faster, smarter actions by analyzing the user journeys, and creating personalized experiences with Hevo Activate.GET STARTED WITH HEVO ACTIVATE FOR FREE
What are the Benefits of Using Mixpanel with Snowflake?
Connecting Snowflake to Mixpanel has numerous advantages. Using Mixpanel’s Business Analytical Service on top of Snowflake’s Cloud Data Warehouse, your teams can:
- Track and analyze cross-channel user interactions.
- Identify tools to better engage new and existing customers.
- Retarget prospective customers to increase acquisition, retention, and engagement.
- Gain critical insights into product lifecycle design for greater reach and better appeal.
Methods to Move Data from Snowflake to Mixpanel
Method 1: Manually Copying Data from Snowflake to Mixpanel
Your data can be moved from Snowflake to Mixpanel manually by performing the following steps:
Step 1: Creating a CSV file for Snowflake Data
- Run a SQL client on your system.
- Enter the following COPY command (for this example you will unload data into Amazon S3. You can also do it for GCP and Azure as well).
For Amazon S3:
COPY INTO s3://mybucket/unload/ FROM table_name STORAGE_INTEGRATION =s3_int;
Alter the following parameters – storage_aws_role_arn and storage_allowed_locations depending upon your requirements.
create storage integration s3_int type = external_stage storage_provider = s3 storage_aws_role_arn = 'arn:aws:iam::001234567890:role/myrole' enabled = true storage_allowed_locations = ('s3://mybucket1/path1/', 's3://mybucket2/path2/');
For Google Cloud Platform:
COPY INTO 'gcs://mybucket/unload/' FROM table_name STORAGE_INTEGRATION = gcs_int;
For Microsoft Azure:
COPY INTO 'azure://myaccount.blob.core.windows.net/mycontainer/unload/' FROM table_name STORAGE_INTEGRATION = myint;
You can also use SnowSQL to export CSV from Snowflake. To do so, here are the steps to follow:
- Install SnowSQL on your system.
- Open the command-line tool and enter the following syntax.
If you use Linux or macOS:
snowsql -c connection_name -d Hevo_db -s public -q 'select * from table_name limit 10' -o output_format=csv -o header=false -o timing=false > output_file.csv
If you use Windows, the SnowSQL command changes to:
snowsql -c my_example_connection -d sales_db -s public -q "select * from table_name limit 10" -o output_format=csv > output_file.csv
Let’s understand the parameters in the above syntax:
- The SnowSQL commands start with snowsql statement
- -c represents the named set of connection parameters
- -d represents the name of the database
- -s is the schema name
- -q represents the query based on which the values would be entered in CSV
- -0 represents optional parameters
- -o timing represents the time-stamping parameter
- >output_file represents the destination CSV file name
With the help of SnowSQL, it becomes easier to export data compared to SQL clients.
Step 2: Import the CSV from Snowflake to Mixpanel
Importing the file into snowflake is a two-step process.
Step 2.1: Configure the CSV that you want to upload into Mixpanel
- Open the CSV downloaded from Snowflake.
- Select the column that represents the join key within the lookup table.
- Add this column as the first column in the CSV. the name does not matter but Mixpanel looks for the key values.
- Now add a column for each new attribute that needs to be added to Mixpanel.
- Now add all the values as separate rows.
- Save this updated file and download it into your system. Make sure the file is comma-separated for the integration to work. Also, make sure that the rows are not duplicated.
Step 2.2: Upload CSV and map to an existing property within Mixpanel
- Open Mixpanel, and visit the Lexicon section.
- Navigate to lookup tables.
- Hit “Import” -> “Lookup table”.
- Click “Import CSV” and select the lookup table from your local machine.
- Click “Select a property” under “Map to Property” and select which event or user property you’d like to map this lookup table to.
- Click “Save”.
This enables the copying of data from Snowflake to Mixpanel to perform further analytics to understand customer data.
Limitations of the Manual Method of Copying Data from Snowflake to Mixpanel
Copying data from Snowflake to Mixpanel using CSV export is a tedious process. Manually copying data from Snowflake to Mixpanel has the following drawbacks:
- There are compatibility issues with the lookup tables where the JOIN keys are of utmost importance. It is required to match in order to import data.
- This method requires a lot of configuration both while exporting data from Snowflake tables and importing the same to Mixpanel.
- This method is not self-managed, meaning it requires lots of expertise to be able to run smoothly.
Method 2: Replicating Data from Snowflake to Mixpanel using Hevo Activate
All the above-mentioned drawbacks can be overcome using an Automated Reverse-ETL Solution like Hevo Activate.
With Hevo Activate, you can empower business teams with 360° customer profiling. You can sync customer and product usage data that are available in Data Warehouses, such as Snowflake to CRMs like Hubspot and Business Analytics Solutions like Mixpanel (Coming Soon for Hevo Activate!) in a hassle-free & effortless manner.GET STARTED WITH HEVO ACTIVATE FOR FREE
Hevo Activate enables a seamless transfer of data to your business applications. Business Teams can now make faster and smarter decisions with Hevo Activate by analyzing user journeys and creating personalized experiences for the customers.
Try our 14-day full access free trial today to experience an entirely automated hassle-free Data Replication!
Here’s how Hevo Activate is different:
- Real-Time Data Replication: Hevo Activate, with its strong integration with various data sources, allows you to transfer data quickly & efficiently. This ensures efficient utilization of bandwidth on both ends.
- No APIs, CSVs, Just SQL!: Use the powerful and smart SQL Query Editor to filter and transform data from your data warehouse table to a Target object. The in-built validation checks ensure each query is validated before you save it.
- Secure: Hevo Activate has a fault-tolerant architecture that ensures that the data is handled safely and consistently with zero data loss.
- On-Demand Sync: Hevo Activate gives users the option to resume the sync or run sync now to execute data sync as per their demand.
- Intelligent Data Type Conversion: During the mapping action, Hevo Activate transforms the field types of the synced data automatically.
- Data Transformation: Hevo Activate provides a simple interface to perfect, modify, and enrich the data you want to transfer.
- Live Support: The Hevo Activate team is available round the clock to extend exceptional support to its customers through chat, email, and support calls.
Snowflake is a leading Data Warehouse Solution that works on top of cloud offerings like Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Microsoft Azure, and Amazon Web Services(AWS). It is efficient in storing and analyzing business data to provide insights. But these insights are largely related to the product lifecycle rather than the customer nature. Mixpanel is a popular Business Intelligence Platform that is efficient in determining customer behavior related to products, product pages, and campaigns.
Copying data from Snowflake to Mixpanel enables you to uncover the insights that have a high impact on the product’s life cycle and the organization’s business model. This article provided two methods that can be used for replicating data from Snowflake to Mixpanel.
Integrating your customer data from different sources into your CRM applications, BI tools, etc., might be challenging, and this is where Hevo Activate comes in.VISIT OUR WEBSITE TO EXPLORE HEVO ACTIVATE
Hevo Activate will automate your data transfer procedure, freeing up your time to focus on other elements of your business, such as analytics and customer management. This platform enables data transfer from Cloud-based Data Warehouses such as Snowflake, Google BigQuery, Amazon Redshift, and others to CRMs like Salesforce and Business Intelligence Software like Mixpanel (Coming Soon for Hevo Activate!). It will make your work life a lot smoother and give you a hassle-free experience.
Want to take Hevo Activate for a ride? SIGN UP for a free 14-day trial to streamline your data integration process. You can check out Hevo Activate’s pricing and select the best plan for your business needs.
Share your learning experience about integrating Snowflake to Mixpanel in the comments below.