Having a holistic view of your support and engineering teams is a must to maintain customer satisfaction and ensure a smooth issue/bug resolving process. With Zendesk JIRA Integration in place, your engineering and support teams are always going to be on the same page, solving out issues as they arise, collaboratively and effectively! This article aims at providing you with a step-by-step guide & helps you integrate your Zendesk Tickets and JIRA Issues in no time!
Upon a complete walkthrough of the content, you will be able to set up Zendesk JIRA Integration with ease. It will help your teams keep track of all the bugs and issues, without having to leave their JIRA or Zendesk application.
Table of Contents
- Introduction to Zendesk
- Introduction to JIRA
- Why Integrate JIRA with Zendesk?
- Setting up Zendesk JIRA Integration using Zendesk Support for JIRA Connector
- Right Technology for Setting up a Zendesk Jira Integration
- Common Mistakes to avoid Integrating Zendesk and JIRA
- Use Cases for a Zendesk Jira Integration
- Limitations of using the Zendesk Support for JIRA connector
Introduction to Zendesk
Zendesk is one of the most popularly used customer-service, available as a cloud-based Software as a Service (SaaS) application. With Zendesk’s all-in-one suite, which contains a Ticketing System, Analytics and Reporting modules, a Sales-Based CRM, Call-Center offerings, and a lot more, you can track a customer’s entire journey in absolute depth.
Talking about Zendesk Reporting, it ensures that your customers are being responded to on time effectively and efficiently. But the reporting features of Zendesk typically render a brief overview and random inclusions, and it lacks automatization. But worry no more, we are here to simplify Zendesk Reporting for you, check out our detailed guide on Zendesk Reporting.
Zendesk provides robust integration support with a variety of applications such as social media channels, marketing automation software, business intelligence tools, etc. making it the ideal solution to facilitate communication between the customers and the organization.
With a competitive subscription-based pricing model, it allows users to subscribe either to a monthly or an annual plan, scalable as per data needs and team size. It is the go-to solution for startups and large organizations.
For further information on Zendesk, you can check the official website here.
Introduction to JIRA
JIRA is a popular project management tool, created to assist Project Frameworks such as Scrum or Kanban. It is used to track the bugs, issues, and progress of various tasks associated with software and mobile applications developed by an organization. You can use it’s powerful yet easy to use Dashboard to maximise productivity, lay Roadmaps for Projects (by using Drag and Drop features), create Reports, and delegate Tasks. Jira Dashboard Gadgets further make it easy for you to overview all the tasks on which your teams work.
It houses various packages such as JIRA core, software, service desk, etc. each of which focuses on simplifying tasks such as generic project management, agile project management, etc.
Jira provides a Complete Bug Tracking Suite that spans the whole Software Development Lifecycle. This makes Jira one of the best tools for Planning, Managing, and Tracking Software Projects. Software Teams involved with App or Product Development often use Jira’s technology to simplify the Development Process from concept to execution.
Some key features of JIRA
- Real-time: JIRA provides information about data updates in real-time via emails.
- Security: JIRA provides a secure bug-tracking system. It supports security-based restrictions to allow only a certain number of individuals or teams to work on a particular bug. Its “Default Permission Scheme” automatically assigns new projects and tasks to it.
- Robust Integration: JIRA offers strong integration with a variety of tools such as Salesforce, GitHub, Tempo, EasyBI, etc., and makes it extremely easy for IT and software teams to collaborate and resolve issues quickly. The Atlassian Marketplace provides flexible Representational State Transfer (REST) APIs, Java APIs, as well as 3,000+ Add-ons and Plugins.
- Agile Development: JIRA provides a smooth experience of working with Scrum and Kanban boards. JIRA is fundamentally based on the Agile model of development and immediately asks users to define the project type as Scrum or Kanban, whenever a new project is created. It even supports a Scrumban (Hybrid of Kanban and Scrum) methodology to create boards.
For further information on JIRA, you can check the official site here.
Why Integrate JIRA with Zendesk?
Your company uses Zendesk for its Ticketing System, Cloud CRM, Analytics, and Reporting. Zendesk allows businesses to use Cloud Technology to better connect with clients, customers, and partners. But for effortless collaboration, it’s necessary to integrate Zendesk with a third-party Project Management service provider like JIRA. JIRA Zendesk integration lets you channel all tickets within Zendesk directly into JIRA while keeping communications open between the Zendesk ticket and the resulting task/card/issue in your other tool.
You can use Zendesk JIRA integration to:
- Set up a flexible synchronization that automatically creates linked JIRA issues whenever a Zendesk ticket is generated. You can easily save a lot of time instead of manually adding and updating issues and tickets on JIRA and Zendesk respectively.
- Provide a better experience to your users by saving information falling through the cracks. By synchronizing JIRA Zendesk automatically, you ensure that less information is lost when compared to the manual route.
- Enable Cross-team Collaboration on Zendesk Tickets. Zendesk JIRA integration enables each team to stay in their own system with their workflows, while still communicating with the other side.
The general reason most teams will want to integrate Jira Zendesk is to experience a seamless collaboration between different teams. Now that you are aware of the benefits your organization can reap with Zendesk JIRA integration, it’s time to dive straight into the procedure.
Simplify your data analysis with Hevo’s No-code Data Pipelines
Hevo Activate, a No-code Data Pipeline helps to integrate data from Zendesk and JIRA with various other free data sources and load it in a data warehouse of your choice to visualize it in your desired BI tool. Hevo Activate is fully-managed and completely automates the process of not only loading data from your desired source but also enriching the data and transforming it into an analysis-ready form without having to write a single line of code. Its fault-tolerant architecture ensures that the data is handled in a secure, consistent manner with zero data loss.Get Started with Hevo for Free
It provides a consistent & reliable solution to manage data in real-time and always have analysis-ready data in your desired destination. It allows you to focus on key business needs and perform insightful analysis using BI tools such as Tableau and many more.
Check out what makes Hevo Activate amazing:
- Secure: Hevo Activate has a fault-tolerant architecture that ensures that the data is handled in a secure, consistent manner with zero data loss.
- Transformations: Hevo provides preload transformations through Python code. It also allows you to run transformation code for each event in the Data Pipelines you set up. You need to edit the event object’s properties received in the transform method as a parameter to carry out the transformation. Hevo also offers drag and drop transformations like Date and Control Functions, JSON, and Event Manipulation to name a few. These can be configured and tested before putting them to use.
- Connectors: Hevo supports 100+ integrations to SaaS platforms such as Zendesk and Jira, files, analytics, and BI tools. It supports various destinations including Amazon Redshift, Snowflake Data Warehouses; Amazon S3 Data Lakes; and MySQL, SQL Server, TokuDB, DynamoDB, PostgreSQL databases to name a few.
- Schema Management: Hevo Activate takes away the tedious task of schema management & automatically detects schema of incoming data and maps it to the destination schema.
- Minimal Learning: Hevo Activate with its simple and interactive UI, is extremely simple for new customers to work on and perform operations.
- Hevo Is Built To Scale: As the number of sources and the volume of your data grows, Hevo Activate scales horizontally, handling millions of records per minute with very little latency.
- Incremental Data Load: Hevo Activate allows the transfer of data that has been modified in real-time. This ensures efficient utilization of bandwidth on both ends.
- Live Support: The Hevo Activate team is available round the clock to extend exceptional support to its customers through chat, email, and support calls.
- Live Monitoring: Hevo Activate allows you to monitor the data flow and check where your data is at a particular point in time.
- Working knowledge of JIRA.
- Working knowledge of Zendesk.
- A JIRA account with admin privileges.
- A Zendesk account with admin privileges.
Setting up Zendesk JIRA Integration using Zendesk Support for JIRA Connector
Zendesk supports integrating with JIRA using the official Zendesk Support for JIRA add-on. You can set up Zendesk JIRA Integration, for both JIRA Cloud and Server with ease. Only users that have a Zendesk professional, enterprise, or team subscription and are a member of the jira-administrator and jira-software-users group can install the Zendesk Support for JIRA add-on.
You can implement this using the following steps:
- Step 1: Installing the Zendesk Support for JIRA Connector
- Step 2: Configuring Zendesk Support for JIRA Connector
- Step 3: Creating JIRA Issues using Zendesk Support
- Step 4: Configuring JIRA Cloud App Access
- Step 5: Configuring JIRA Server & Zendesk Integration (Optional Step)
Step 1: Installing the Zendesk Support for JIRA Connector
To install the Zendesk Support for Zendesk JIRA Integration, login to your JIRA account using your credentials such as username and password.
Once you’ve logged in, click on the apps, found in the navigation bar, on the top of your screen, and then select the find new apps option. The Atlassian Marketplace will now open up, where you need to search for the Zendesk Support for JIRA add-on.
Search for Zendesk and select the Zendesk Support for JIRA option from the results. Click on the get it now option, to start installing it for your JIRA account.
Step 2: Configuring Zendesk Support for JIRA Connector
Once you’ve successfully installed the add on for your JIRA account, you now need to configure it. Enter the subdomain associated with your Zendesk account and create a new dedicated user for your JIRA integration.
Click on the authenticate button. A new window will now open up, where you need to log in to your Zendesk account using your credentials such as username and password.
Once you’ve authenticated your account, go to the settings option for your application. Provide the URL for your JIRA account and select the desired fields and tickets, whose information you want to display alongside your JIRA Issues.
Once you’ve selected your desired tickets, click on the save option. If you’re a JIRA Cloud user, you can verify your Zendesk JIRA Integration, by accessing the JIRA admin and adding a user called “add_on_zendesk_for_jira” to the “jira-users” group.
The Zendesk JIRA Integration for JIRA Cloud will create a free admin-based user, known as Zendesk for JIRA.
Step 3: Creating JIRA Issues using Zendesk Support
With your Zendesk JIRA Integration successfully set up, you can create JIRA Issues directly with the help of your Zendesk Support Ticket. Use the “create issue” button to create a new JIRA Issue:
Provide the following information in the JIRA Issue creation form:
To configure JIRA Issues, you need to provide a name for the project, the type of JIRA Issue you want to create, along with the person you want to assign. Further, you need to give a summary of the JIRA Issue you are creating.
The fields mentioned above are the default fields and hence, can’t be removed from the JIRA Issue creation form. JIRA application lets users that have support-admin privileges add custom or pre-existing fields, allowing them to customize the form as per their requirements.
For further information about using and modifying fields, you can check the official documentation here.
Are you tired of following a tedious setup process? Click here to check how Hevo, can you help you integrate data from Zendesk, JIRA, and other free sources in a hassle-free and completely automated manner.
Step 4: Configuring JIRA Cloud App Access
Using the Zendesk Support add-on, you can also control who can access your JIRA Cloud application, such as admins, agents, etc.
To do this, click on the admin icon in Zendesk Support. Click on the Apps option and select manage. Locate the JIRA Cloud app and hover over it and from the drop-down list, select the change settings option.
Select the enable role restrictions checkbox, found under the installation section. You now need to click on the role restrictions text box and select the desired roles that can access the JIRA Cloud app. Use the save option to apply the changes you’ve made.
This is how you can set up Zendesk JIRA Integration using the Zendesk Support for JIRA add-on. If you’re using the JIRA Server, you must check out the next step to set up your integration successfully.
Step 5: Configuring JIRA Server & Zendesk Integration (Optional Step)
Integrating Zendesk with JIRA, be it Cloud or Server, follow the similar setup process, however, if you’re using JIRA Server, you must look into the following factors while establishing a connection:
- To establish a connection between Zendesk and JIRA Server, you must create an allowlist for the IP address associated with your Zendesk account and the JIRA Integration IPs, 18.104.22.168/32, 22.214.171.124/32, and 126.96.36.199/32. You can check the official documentation here, to know more about obtaining your Zendesk IPs.
- SSL encryption should be used to establish a connection between JIRA and Zendesk. To enable SSL, ensure that you have a full SSL certificate stack, issued by a certificate authority, as self-signed certificates aren’t supported.
- Ensure that you have the correct port enabled as per your SSL settings, such as port 443/8080/80, etc.
- While configuring the Zendesk Support for JIRA add-on, ensure that you provide a publically accessible JIRA Base URL, allowing Zendesk to make network-based requests with your JIRA instance.
- You must provide the Zendesk Support for JIRA add-on admin privileges for it to work correctly. To do this, create a dedicated JIRA account with username as “addon_zendesk” and full name as “Zendesk for JIRA”, and then add it to the jira-administrators and jira-software-users group.
This is how you can set up Zendesk JIRA Integration for JIRA Server.
Right Technology for Setting up a Zendesk Jira Integration
Let’s discuss the various factors that one should consider before zeroing in on the right Zendesk Jira integration solution.
- Cost: Your integration solution should help you curtail your expenses exceptionally by cutting down the engineer’s cost to the company. A fully managed solution ensures a minimal-to-no dependence on Engineering Experts for development and maintenance.
- Autonomy: Your integration should be capable of sharing data automatically and securely without having to navigate from your trusted environment. The integration should maintain a right balance between autonomy and security by giving each side full control over what they send and what they do with the received data.
- Flexibility: Your integration solution, at any point in time, must be flexible enough to accommodate changes in what is shared, when it’s shared, or the frequency of sync.
- Reliability: Data is only as valuable as it is used. Handling massive volumes of complex data is no small feat for any organization. As your integration deals with two different platforms, there is a chance that sometimes the computer systems break down. Outages can become an issue if not handled properly. The Zendesk Jira integration should ensure the real-time availability of tickets.
Common Mistakes to avoid Integrating Zendesk and JIRA
Zendesk has a pretty simple workflow, making it easy to align workflows while working in tandem with Jira and Zendesk. But it comes with a warning. You need to be very careful when dealing with “closed” tickets in Zendesk.
JIRA allows you to edit the information as many times as needed even after you mark an issue as “closed”. However, this is not the case with Zendesk. Zendesk handles the “closed” tickets in a different way, the ticket becomes “read-only” as soon as it gets the “closed” status on Zendesk’s side. This means you can no longer modify or update any of the data on the ticket. Take this into consideration before marking a ticket as “closed” on Zendesk.
In rare cases, if you absolutely need to mark an issue as “closed” on Jira, you can disconnect the issues so that the ticket remains open in Zendesk until you make the necessary modifications/updates. Further, you can use a similar-sounding status, such as “Resolved” or “Done” in place of “Closed”.
Use Cases for a Zendesk Jira Integration
The most important use case of Zendesk Jira integration is Cross-Team Collaboration. You can also customize the Zendesk Support for Jira to fit your teams’ workflows. Here are a few examples where you can improve the team collaborations using a Jira Zendesk integration.
It is common that project teams are usually required to collaborate with cross-functional members on a daily basis. For example, a Customer Service Team on Zendesk may require to work with a Developer Team using Jira, or a Market Research Team have to collaborate with a Design Team for implementation of product features. All these tasks require a Zendesk Ticket from one team to be escalated to the other team working in Jira.
A Zendesk Jira integration ensures smooth information exchange and allows members from different teams such as Tech, Creative, Design, Business, etc to collaborate efficiently. For instance, Market Research Team can create Zendesk tickets, based on their interactions with customers, their study, or their analysis, and send them to the Design Team working in Jira for implementation. Similarly, a Sales Team will collect a variety of data to store on Zendesk and will transfer some of this data to Jira while making a Sale. Another team can use these tickets to set the accounts of new customers.
Having a Zendesk Jira integration in place can help share relevant data between teams automatically.
Limitations of using the Zendesk Support for JIRA connector
- Each JIRA Issue supports connecting with a maximum of 200 Zendesk Support Tickets.
- The users must have admin privileges for both JIRA and Zendesk, to install the Zendesk Support for JIRA connector, making it challenging for most users to integrate their data.
- Using the Zendesk Support for JIRA connector requires using the JIRA internal directory as the user directory.
- The Zendesk Support for JIRA connector doesn’t support Zendesk Essential.
The idea behind integrating Zendesk JIRA or JIRA Zendesk is to enable seamless collaboration between different teams working on issues and tickets. This article teaches you how to set up Zendesk JIRA Integration with ease. It provides in-depth knowledge about the concepts behind every step to help you understand and implement them efficiently. These methods, however, can be challenging especially for a beginner & this is where Hevo Activate saves the day. Zendesk & Jira are a few of the many free sources of Hevo Activate.Visit our Website to Explore Hevo
Hevo Activate, a No-code Data Pipeline helps you transfer data from a source of your choice in a fully automated and secure manner without having to write the code repeatedly. Hevo Activate, with its strong integration with Jira (a free source) along with various other sources, allows you to not only export & load data but also transform & enrich your data & make it analysis-ready in a jiffy.
You can now load Zendesk data to any Data Warehouse such as Redshift, BigQuery, Snowflake, or a destination of your choice without writing code in just a few minutes for free with Hevo Activate.
Want to take Hevo Activate for a spin? Sign Up here for the 14-day free trial and experience the feature-rich Hevo Activate suite first hand. You can also have a look at the unbeatable pricing that will help you choose the right plan for your business needs.
Tell us about your experience of setting up Zendesk JIRA Integration! Share your thoughts with us in the comments section below.