5 Best Open Source Data Replication Tools for 2023
As the volume of data that businesses collect today increases, the need for tools that can help manage this data also increases. One of the most significant requirements of businesses for managing data is a tool that can seamlessly replicate the high volume of data that has been collected.
Table of Contents
There are a diverse set of tools available in the market that can be used by businesses to replicate data.
Businesses can either choose to go for Paid or Free Open-Source tools. There are a lot of advantages to using each of those options. Paid tools usually have quality support, up-to-date documentation along with regular product updates to keep up with the changes in the databases and customer requirements. Free Open-Source tools allow businesses to customize the tool as per their requirements.
This article will provide you with a comprehensive understanding of what Data Replication is, what are its benefits and which are the best Open Source Data Replication tools available in the market.
You can also learn more about Data Replication and its aspects to know its significance.
Table of Contents
- What is Data Replication?
- The Benefits of Data Replication
- 5 Best Open Source Data Replication Tools
What is Data Replication?
Data Replication can be defined as the process of making copies of data and storing them on databases across different locations in order to improve their overall accessibility and performance in the network. In simple terms, it can be said that it is the process of copying data stored in a database from one Server to another Server ensuring high availability so that all the users can access the same data without facing any consistency issues or putting too much data load on a single Server.
This results in the formation of a Distributed Database setup in which users can access data relevant to their requirements easily and quickly. The replicated database is updated and synchronized with the source on a regular basis to ensure that the data is consistent across all its Replications.
The Benefits of Data Replication
The key benefits of implementing Data Replication are as follows:
- Improved Data Availability: Data Replication improves the reliability and resilience of databases by storing the same data in multiple Nodes across the network. This means that if one Node goes down due to glitches or for maintenance, the data stored in it can still be accessed from a different Node.
- Increase in Data Access Speed: If a lot of users are trying to access the data stored in a single database, users might face some latency due to the high load on the database. Another situation in which users might face high latency would be when they’re trying to access data stored in a single database from different parts of the world. If the data has been replicated on their user’s local Servers, the issue of high latency would be resolved.
- Improved Server Performance: Data Replication significantly improves the performance of the Server by dispersing the load on it across various Nodes, thereby improving the overall network performance.
- Data Recovery: Data Replication facilitates recovery of corrupted or lost data by maintaining accurate backups across numerous well-monitored locations.
Scale your Data Integration effortlessly with Hevo’s Fault-Tolerant No Code Data Pipeline
As the ability of businesses to collect data explodes, data teams have a crucial role to play in fueling data-driven decisions. Yet, they struggle to consolidate the scattered data in their warehouse to build a single source of truth. Broken pipelines, data quality issues, bugs and errors, and lack of control and visibility over the data flow make data integration a nightmare.
1000+ data teams rely on Hevo’s Data Pipeline Platform to integrate data from over 150+ sources in a matter of minutes. Billions of data events from sources as varied as SaaS apps, Databases, File Storage and Streaming sources can be replicated in near real-time with Hevo’s fault-tolerant architecture.
Check out what makes Hevo amazing:
- Reliability at Scale – With Hevo, you get a world-class fault-tolerant architecture that scales with zero data loss and low latency.
- Monitoring and Observability – Monitor pipeline health with intuitive dashboards that reveal every stat of pipeline and data flow. Bring real-time visibility into your ELT with Alerts and Activity Logs.
- Auto-Schema Management – Correcting improper schema after the data is loaded into your warehouse is challenging. Hevo automatically maps source schema with destination warehouse so that you don’t face the pain of schema errors.
- 24×7 Customer Support – With Hevo you get more than just a platform, you get a partner for your pipelines. Discover peace with round the clock “Live Chat” within the platform. What’s more, you get 24×7 support even during the 14-day full-feature free trial.
- Transparent Pricing – Say goodbye to complex and hidden pricing models. Hevo’s Transparent Pricing brings complete visibility to your ELT spend. Choose a plan based on your business need.
Stay in control with spend alerts and configurable credit limits for unforeseen spikes in the data flow. Simplify your Data Analysis with Hevo today!Sign up here for a 14-Day Free Trial!
5 Best Open Source Data Replication Tools
There are numerous Data Replication tools that are available in the market. A lot of users prefer implementing an Open-Source solution due to the fact that the tool’s Source Code is easily available, hence giving you the ability to make changes to the tool based on the business use case and data requirements. Some of the best Open Source Data Replication Tools available in the market are as follows:
- Open Source Data Replication Tools: ReplicaDB
- Open Source Data Replication Tools: SymmetricDS
- Open Source Data Replication Tools: Tungsten Replicator
- Open Source Data Replication Tools: Talend
- Open Source Data Replication Tools: Rubyrep
1) Open Source Data Replication Tools: ReplicaDB
ReplicaDB is one of the most well-known Open Source Data Replication Tools that was designed specifically for transferring bulk data between NoSQL and Relational Databases.
ReplicaDB is a Java-based cross-platform solution with a simple architecture that supports Data Replication for most SQL and NoSQL Databases along with persistent stores such as Kafka, Amazon S3, etc. It can be used directly on the Command Line running on a Server without any other remote agents on the database.
Although ReplicaDB is capable of providing good performance on large databases, it does not support Pure Change Data Capture (CDC) or Streaming Data.
More information on ReplicaDB can be found here.
2) Open Source Data Replication Tools: SymmetricDS
SymmetricDS is an Open-Source tool for File and Database Synchronization that houses functionalities such as Filtered Synchronization, Multi-Master Replication, Transformation Capabilities, etc.
It houses a large number of powerful features that give users the flexibility to meet business requirements by easily scaling out the databases to increase the number of Replications and handle a large number of Synchronization requests. It is also capable of synchronizing data between Nodes across remote networks with low bandwidth usage and automatically handle periods of disconnected operation.
SymmetricDS is built on Java Runtime and is hence capable of running on most modern Operating Systems such as Windows, Linux, Mac OS, Unix, etc. This cross-platform support allows SymmetricDS to run on almost all Servers/Computers/Mobile devices and can be used to replicate data stored on the Cloud, across a Wide Area Network, or On-Premise.
More information on SymmetricDS can be found here.
3) Open Source Data Replication Tools: Tungsten Replicator
Tungsten Replicator is another popular Open-Source Data Replication Tool that supports a variety of different extractors and modules. It allows users to replicate data from databases like MySQL, Amazon Aurora, Amazon RDS MySQL, Google Cloud SQL, and Microsoft Azure along with a variety of transactional data stores, NoSQL Databases, and Data Warehouses.
While performing the required Data Replication operations, Tungsten Replicator assigns each data record a unique global transaction ID that enables row-based Replication of data. This allows Data Replication between different databases and different versions of a database.
Tungsten Replicator also allows information to be filtered and modified during Data Replication. In order to ensure the best performance, Tungsten Replicator also provides support for Advanced Topologies and Parallel Replication.
More information on Tungsten Replication can be found here.
4) Open Source Data Replication Tools: Talend
Talend Open Studio is an Open-Source Tool by Talend that can be used for Data Replication and various other Data Integration operations. Talend Open Studio houses a wide range of features that allow users to access more than 1,000 possible components that can be used to connect to virtually any data source including all Cloud and On-Premise solutions.
Along with its free Open-Source tool, Talend also offers a variety of paid tools with a lot of features that can be leveraged by businesses to manage their data.
More information on Talend can be found here.
5) Open Source Data Replication Tools: Rubyrep
Rubyrep is an Open Source Data Replication tool released under the MIT license. It incorporates various Data Replication features that possess the ability to perform the following operations:
- Automatically set up necessary log tables, triggers, etc.
- Automatically discover newly added tables, and synchronize the content of tables between the source and destination.
- Implement both Master-Master and Master-Slave Replication based on the business and data requirements.
- Automatically resolve data conflicts between source and destination or give users the ability to set up custom Conflict Resolution Models.
More information on Rubyrep can be found here.
This article provided you with an in-depth understanding of what Data Replication is and what are the benefits of its implementation for your database. It also provided you with a list of the best Open Source Data Replication Tools that are available in the market today.
Businesses can either implement one of these tools manually to set up Data Replication which might require immense engineering bandwidth for development and maintenance or use automated platforms like Hevo.
Now you can learn more about Open-Source ETL tools to know how they work and how they help businesses to keep their costs low but provide similar functionalities as other ETL Tools.visit our website to explore hevo
Hevo helps you directly transfer data from a source of your choice to a Data Warehouse or desired destination in a fully automated and secure manner without having to write the code or export data repeatedly. It will make your life easier and make data migration hassle-free. It is User-Friendly, Reliable, and Secure.
SIGN UP for a 14-day free trial and see the difference!