Database Storage on the cloud is needed when you move development from local to production. These storages are provided by hosting services that offer different plans based on the user’s needs. But as a Developer or Database Administrator, the first question might be – Why MongoDB?
MongoDB is a Document-Oriented Database created by MongoDB Inc for providing database services for software. One of the reasons to use MongoDB is High Scalability, because of its ability to be updated on the fly without causing downtimes. The scalability upside MongoDB provides is a result of not needing migration when the properties of database entities change, unlike relational databases.
That’s for MongoDB. If you’ve already chosen MongoDB for development, you would need a cloud hosting provider for your database when you push to production. What are the top free MongoDB hosting and storage services out there?
This article discloses a list of free MongoDB storage services along with their properties and pricing plans.
Table of Contents
What is MongoDB?
MongoDB is a popular C++-based open-source NoSQL database. MongoDB is a Document-Oriented Dynamic Schema Database that stores data in JSON-like documents. It means you don’t have to worry about the Data Structure, the number of fields or the types of fields used to store values when storing your records. Documents in MongoDB are similar to JSON objects.
It stores and retrieves data from the database using a wiredTiger engine, which is much faster than other database engines. It also has multi-document ACID transaction features, which are very useful. It includes a comprehensive aggregation framework, expressive joins, graph traversal, and pipelines.
Change the structure of records by simply adding new fields or removing existing ones (referred to as Documents by MongoDB). This MongoDB feature simplifies the representation of Hierarchical Relationships, Store Arrays, and other more complex Data Structures. Many tech behemoths, including Facebook, eBay, Adobe, and Google, now use MongoDB to store massive amounts of data.
Key Features of MongoDB
When compared to other traditional databases, MongoDB has several distinguishing features that make it a superior solution. Some of these characteristics are discussed in greater detail below:
- Fewer Schemas in a Database: A Schema-Less Database allows you to store different types of Documents in a single Collection (the equivalent of a table). In other words, multiple Documents, each with its own set of Fields, Content, and Size, can be stored in a single collection in the MongoDB database. As a result of this feature, MongoDB provides users with a great deal of flexibility.
- Document Indexed: Every field in a MongoDB Database Document is indexed with Primary and Secondary Indices, making data retrieval from the pool easier.
- Scalability: Sharding in MongoDB enables horizontal scalability. Sharding is the process of distributing data across multiple servers. A large amount of data is partitioned into data chunks using the Shard Key, and these data chunks are evenly distributed across Shards that span many Physical Servers.
- Replication: MongoDB ensures high data availability by replicating and distributing data across multiple servers, ensuring that if one fails, the data can still be retrieved from another.
Hevo Data is a No-code Data Pipeline that offers a fully managed solution to set up Data Integration for 100+ Data Sources (including 40+ Free sources) and will let you directly load data from sources like MongoDB to a Data Warehouse or the Destination of your choice. It will automate your data flow in minutes without writing any line of code. Its fault-tolerant architecture makes sure that your data is secure and consistent. Hevo provides you with a truly efficient and fully automated solution to manage data in real-time and always have analysis-ready data.
Get Started with Hevo for Free
Let’s look at some of the salient features of Hevo:
Sign up here for a 14-Day Free Trial!
- Fully Managed: It requires no management and maintenance as Hevo is a fully automated platform.
- Data Transformation: It provides a simple interface to perfect, modify, and enrich the data you want to transfer.
- Real-Time: Hevo offers real-time data migration. So, your data is always ready for analysis.
- Schema Management: Hevo can automatically detect the schema of the incoming data and map it to the destination schema.
- Connectors: Hevo supports 100+ Integrations to SaaS platforms FTP/SFTP, Files, Databases, BI tools, and Native REST API & Webhooks Connectors. It supports various destinations including Google BigQuery, Amazon Redshift, Snowflake, Firebolt, Data Warehouses; Amazon S3 Data Lakes; Databricks; MySQL, SQL Server, TokuDB, MongoDB, PostgreSQL Databases to name a few.
- Secure: Hevo has a fault-tolerant architecture that ensures that the data is handled in a secure, consistent manner with zero data loss.
- Hevo Is Built To Scale: As the number of sources and the volume of your data grows, Hevo scales horizontally, handling millions of records per minute with very little latency.
- Live Monitoring: Advanced monitoring gives you a one-stop view to watch all the activities that occur within Data Pipelines.
- Live Support: Hevo team is available round the clock to extend exceptional support to its customers through chat, email, and support calls.
Top Free MongoDB Storage and Hosting Services
Depending on the use case, we can look into 2 features in the Free MongoDB Storage hosting platforms. The first would be the price, and the second would be the features. Here are a few hosting services:
1) MongoDB Atlas
MongoDB Atlas is a multi-cloud database service created by MongoDB Inc. It has an intuitive user interface that allows you to perform operations like choosing a database cluster, selecting a data center, and choosing a plan.
Key Features of MongoDB Atlas
- It can be hosted on platforms like AWS, Azure, and GCP for development.
- Free MongoDB Storage of 512MB for free.
- Shared RAM for the free tier.
- Replica sets for transactional processing for the free tier.
- 10GB of Free MongoDB Storage for dedicated clusters.
- Dedicated RAM for dedicated clusters.
- Free MongoDB Storage Backups.
- Free MongoDB Storage Enterprise server.
Kamatera is a global cloud service provider providing services for both small and large-scale businesses. Kamatera’s cloud infrastructure operates at 13 global data centers distributed across North America (Toronto, Canada. New York, NY, Dallas, TX, Santa Clara, CA), Europe (Amsterdam, Frankfurt, London), Asia (Hong Kong), and the Middle East (Israel).
Their billing options include both monthly and hourly billing and they provide a 30-day free trial on sign up.
Key Features of Kamatera
- Installation of any operating system of your choice.
- Load balancers for optimal performance and firewalls for security.
- 1GB RAM with 1 vCPU, 20GB SSD storage, and 5TB monthly bandwidth starting at $4 per month.
- Environments that can scale up to 8 vCPUs with up to 16GB RAM and 100 SSD storage.
- Virtual Private Servers(VPS) for developers to optimize their MongoDB code.
3) Scale Grid
Scale Grid is a fully managed Database as a Service(DBaaS) solution. Apart from MongoDB, it supports MySQL, PostgreSQL, and Redis. Scale Grid allows you to bring in your cloud or go for a dedicated one that can be provided.
Key Features of Scale Grid
- Provision of custom schedules for backups as well as automated restores for backups.
- ScaleGrid handles the security of your database clusters whether in use or not, and sends a monthly report to its users.
- ScaleGrid offers 1GB RAM and 10GB storage space starting at $20 per month for standalone servers. This price changes as the RAM, server type(standalone or replica sets), and cloud provider change.
Like Atlas, ScaleGrid also allows you to bring in your cloud(AWS, Azure, GCP, OCI, etc).
4) Clever Cloud
Clever Cloud is a Platform as a Service(PaaS) that helps developers ship faster web services to the cloud on a pay-as-you-go model.
Key Features of Clever Cloud
500MB storage for the free plan.
- Shared RAM.
- Daily backup for your data. Usually, backups occur every night and are made compressible and ready to download.
- Replica sets and various extensions based on your needs.
The pricing plan depends on the size, add-on, and the number of scalers you need. The paid plans start at £17.5 per month for 1GB RAM and 5GB storage.
5) IBM Cloud
IBM cloud is a Database as a Service (DBaaS) solution from IBM that provides developers with the latest MongoDB features.
Key Features of IBM Cloud
- IBM Cloud offers automatic backup and serverless scaling.
- It also handles database management tasks like backups, cluster monitoring, logging, and security allowing developers to focus more on shipping their products.
- IBM Cloud also offers free $200 credit valid for 30 days.
With IBM Cloud, developers can concentrate on developing applications rather than dealing with infrastructure issues such as High Availability, Backup, Logging, Monitoring, Scaling, and Software Patching.
ObjectRocket is a fully hosted and managed database platform that specializes in NoSQL datastores like MongoDB, Elasticsearch, and Redis.
Key Features of ObjectRocket
- Free trial for 30 days. After this, you use it on a subscription.
- Provision of replica sets from $19 per month, depending on size.
- Monitoring 254 metrics per minute on every MongoDB instance and taking action if an alert is triggered. It is fully managed.
- Free MongoDB Storage sharding.
- Scaling and query analysis.
- Free MongoDB Storage schema design.
Additionally, they offer customers with larger workloads a private slack channel, quarterly business reviews, and high-traffic event planning.
Scalingo is a Platform as a Service(Paas) that is designed to host applications on the cloud. It provides a fully managed Free MongoDB Storage hosting service that is highly available and production-ready.
In terms of pricing, Scalingo offers a free trial for 30 days without a credit card.
Key Features of Scalingo
- It provides a Docker container for every MongoDB instance for isolating and monitors certain metrics and logs for troubleshooting purposes.
- Scalingo’s pricing starts at $3.6 for 1.25GB storage and 256MB dedicated RAM. However, the billing process for Scalingo is a bit different, it is pro-rata billed – all the services they offer are billed per minute of usage and an invoice that includes all the services used will be sent at the end of the month.
This article listed some of the Top Free MongoDB Storage providers that developers use to manage their MongoDB instances.
As seen in the Free MongoDB Storage and hosting services above, they all have their perks and benefits. The main factors to look out for when choosing are pricing, ease-of-setup/developer experience, and storage. MongoDB Atlas serves as the perfect option for small-scale development, but as your development and management tasks get more cumbersome, you might have to choose a more robust service provider.
To meet the growing storage and computing needs of data, you will need to invest some of your engineering bandwidth in integrating data from all sources, cleaning and transforming it, and finally loading it into a Cloud Data Warehouse for further Business Analytics. A Cloud-Based ETL tool, such as Hevo Data, can efficiently handle all of these challenges.
Visit our Website to Explore Hevo
Hevo Data, a No-code Data Pipeline provides you with a consistent and reliable solution to manage data transfer between a variety of sources like MongoDB and a wide variety of Desired Destinations, with a few clicks. Hevo Data with its strong integration with 100+ sources (including 40+ free sources) allows you to not only export data from your desired data sources & load it to the destination of your choice, but also transform & enrich your data to make it analysis-ready so that you can focus on your key business needs and perform insightful analysis using BI tools.
Want to take Hevo for a spin? Sign Up for a 14-day free trial and experience the feature-rich Hevo suite first hand. You can also have a look at the unbeatable pricing that will help you choose the right plan for your business needs.
Share with us your learning on Top Free MongoDB Storage and Hosting Services in the comments below!