In this modern era, everything is dependent on data. All business processes and decisions are driven by data. The dependency on data raises questions about the security of the data that contains information about the data you already have i.e, Metadata. This is where the concept of Master Data Modelling and Management comes from. The process of Master Data Management and Modeling helps in checking the accuracy of the Master Data.
The success of daily operations, analytics, and compliance efforts are dependent on the effectiveness of Master Data Management and Modelling. However, many organizations overlook some critical aspects of Master Data, resulting in poor Modelling strategy and poor business performance.
In this article, you will gain information about Master Data Modelling. You will also gain a holistic understanding of the Master Data Model, its importance, comparison between Master Data and Reference Data, the technology required for Master Data Modelling, resources to enhance the journey of Master Data Modelling, and the challenges presented by Master Data Modelling. Read along to find out in-depth information about Master Data Modelling.
Table of Contents
What is Master Data Modelling?
The Master Data Model is an information model that depicts business concepts or entities and how they interact with one another. The most important point is that it uses business terms, and a Master Data Entity Model is simplified to serve the business interests and purpose.
The variety of model patterns is one of the challenges of Master Data Modelling. Most people associate a relational model with “flat” tables, but as you examine the data and its relationships, you’ll notice that other types of structures are required. Some data models are highly hierarchical, with nodes having recursive relationships. Other types of data models must have dynamic structures.
Importance of Master Data Modelling
Master Data Modelling is a component of an information quality strategy in and of itself because it solves many of the problems that host a typical information quality framework (eg. lack of timely data, duplicates, etc.)
It collects multiple data items that are related to the same logical object. Because there is no general agreement on how common data items should be stored, when you combine contrasting records for the same business entity, you must make difficult decisions on which source to select as the most reliable and accurate.
As Master Data Modelling relies on near real-time data consolidation, these complex rules frequently need to be hard-wired into the infrastructure, indicating how difficult Master Data Modelling can be to implement.
Extracting data from multiple sources, managing them, enriching it, and integrating them is a very tedious task. Automated tools help ease this process by enriching the raw data, consolidating, and making the data analysis-ready. Hevo Data, an Automated No Code Data Pipeline is one such solution that manages the process of Data Pipeline creation in a seamless manner.
Get Started with Hevo for Free
Hevo is the fastest, easiest, and most reliable data replication platform that will save your engineering bandwidth and time multifold. Try our 14-day full access free trial to experience an entirely automated hassle-free Data Replication!
Master Data vs Reference Data
The difference between Master Data and Reference Data can be as follows:
Master Data is the enterprise’s core data that describes the objects around which business is conducted. It changes on a regular basis and may include reference data that is required to run the business. Although master data is not transactional, it does describe transactions. The critical labels of a business that Master Data covers are generally classified into four domains, with further subdivisions within those domains. These subdomains are referred to as subject areas, sub-domains, or entity types.
Reference Data is a subset of Master Data that is used to categorise other data or to connect data to information outside of the enterprise. Master and transactional data objects can share reference data (e.g. countries, time zones, currencies, payment terms, etc.) These are non-transactional data that do not require governance because they are not crucial to the Business.
When Reference Data needs to be governed, it is promoted to Master Data and becomes a part of the Master Data Entity Model as well as the Master Data Modelling and Management process.
Technology Required for Master Data Modelling
The technology solutions required for Master Data Modelling are as follows:
1) Master Data Modelling Hub
The 3 types of Master Data Modelling Hubs are as follows:
- A Persistent hub collects all business-critical data from the source system and stores it in the hub.
- Only the identifying information and key record identifiers are copied to a Registry hub.
- A Hybrid hub combines elements of both options, allowing for more fine-grained control over what goes into the hub.
2) Data Integration or Middleware
Data must be synchronised across the disparate system landscape. There is also a need to synchronise any data quality improvements that occur in order to maintain the benefits and continuously improve quality. A typical Master Data Modelling “stack” structure also includes a number of other interfacing and workflow-type technologies.
3) Data Quality Tools
Data Quality falls into 5 categories:
- Data Quality Auditing
- Data Quality Parsing/Standardisation
- Data Quality Cleansing
The hybrid tool incorporates elements of the other data quality functions as well as ETL capabilities. The rest of the functions are standard for most data quality initiatives.
The principle underlying the creation and management of incoming data is one that necessitates a significant amount of time, effort, and understanding. Without writing a single line of code, Hevo Data , a fully managed Data Pipeline can easily manage all your processes involved in Data Creation. Its integration with 100+ data sources, including a variety of Business Intelligence and analysis tools such as Tableau, Power BI, and others, helps to accurately map your data and generate valuable insights from it.
Check out what makes Hevo amazing:
- Integrations: Hevo’s fault-tolerant Data Pipeline offers you a secure option to unify data from 100+ data sources (including 40+ free sources) and store it in any other Data Warehouse of your choice. This way you can focus more on your key business activities and let Hevo take full charge of the Data Transfer process.
- Schema Management: Hevo takes away the tedious task of schema management & automatically detects the schema of incoming data and maps it to the schema of your Data Warehouse or Database.
- Quick Setup: Hevo with its automated features, can be set up in minimal time. Moreover, with its simple and interactive UI, it is extremely easy for new customers to work on and perform operations.
- Incremental Data Load: Hevo allows the transfer of data that has been modified in real-time. This ensures efficient utilization of bandwidth on both ends.
- Live Support: The Hevo team is available round the clock to extend exceptional support to its customers through chat, email, and support calls.
Want to take Hevo for a spin? Sign Up here for a 14-day free trial and experience the feature-rich Hevo.
Resources to Enhance your Master Data Modelling Journey
Some of the excellent resources required to enhance your Master Data Modelling:
1) Online Portals
There are many online portals that you can refer to upskill yourself in Master Data Modelling. Some of them are Data Quality Pro Virtual Summit, Information Management – MDM Channel, TDWI MDM Portal, etc.
2) Online Communities/Forums
There are many online communities and forums on Linkedin that will help enhance your Master Data Modelling Journey. Some of them are Master Data Management Interest Group, MDM – Master Data Management, etc.
3) Master Data Modelling/Management Books
Some of the books that provide in-depth knowledge on Master Data Modelling and Management are Master Data Management, Multi-Domain Master Data Management: Advanced MDM and Data Governance in practice, Master Data Management and Customer Data Integration for a Global Enterprise, etc.
What are the Challenges presented by Master Data Modelling?
Some of the challenges while doing Master Data Modelling are as follows:
- Complexity: Organizations frequently face complex data quality issues with master data, particularly with customer data, and address data from legacy systems.
- Modelling: Organizations typically lack a Data Mastering Model that defines primary masters, secondary masters, and slaves of master data, thus making master data integration a complicated process.
- Standards: It is frequently difficult to reach a consensus on domain values that are stored across multiple systems, particularly product data.
- Governance: Poor information governance around master data results in organisational complexity.
- Overlap: There is frequently a high degree of overlap in master data, for example, large organisations storing customer data across many enterprise systems.
In this article, you have learned about Master Data Modelling. This article also provided information on the Master Data Model, its importance, comparison between Master Data and Reference Data, the technology required for Master Data Modelling, resources to enhance the journey of Master Data Modelling, and the challenges presented by Master Data Modelling.
Hevo Data, a No-code Data Pipeline provides you with a consistent and reliable solution to manage data transfer between a variety of sources and a wide variety of Desired Destinations with a few clicks.
Visit our Website to Explore Hevo
Hevo Data with its strong integration with 100+ Data Sources (including 40+ Free Sources) allows you to not only export data from your desired data sources & load it to the destination of your choice but also transform & enrich your data to make it analysis-ready. Hevo also allows integrating data from non-native sources using Hevo’s in-built REST API & Webhooks Connector. You can then focus on your key business needs and perform insightful analysis using BI tools.
Want to give Hevo a try? Sign Up for a 14-day free trial and experience the feature-rich Hevo suite first hand. You may also have a look at the amazing price, which will assist you in selecting the best plan for your requirements.
Share your experience of understanding Master Data Modelling in the comment section below! We would love to hear your thoughts.