Companies use Databases to store their business data and manage all their applications and websites. The number of servers increases as the business data grows and becomes cumbersome to manage when a Database Administrator or Developer pulls out a list of Databases.
MongoDB is a widely used NoSQL Database that supports the JSON data format and stores data in the document-oriented format. As companies use a data-driven approach and require data on a continuous basis. MongoDB stores business data with great flexibility. However, gradually it becomes unmanageable to operate huge volumes of data from the command-line tool. RoboMongo is a lightweight GUI tool that offers access to the MongoDB server with an interactive user interface.
RoboMongo allows users to easily view, access, edit MongoDB Databases from the graphical interface. It simplifies the workflow and saves time. In this article, you will learn about RoboMongo, its main features, and what are the technologies used in developing it. You will also go through the steps for the installation of RoboMongo and connecting to the host MongoDB server.
Table of Contents
- A brief knowledge of MongoDB.
- An active MongoDB host server.
Introduction to RoboMongo (Robo 3T)
RoboMongo, now named Robo 3T, is a lightweight shell-centric cross-platform MongoDB management tool. It is a professional IDE, Client, and GUI (Graphic User Interface) for managing MongoDB Database by deeply integrating with the MongoDB shell. RoboMongo has been acquired by 3T Software Lab sand free-to-use software that any user can download and manage their MongoDB Database with ease.
The 3T Software Labs also offers the paid version of this tool as Studio 3T, which is more advanced and embedded with more features. Unlike other MongoDB GUI admin tools, Robo 3T embeds the actual mongo shell in an additional tab along with the GUI so that users can also access the command-line tool. Robo 3T supports Windows, Mac, and Linux Operating Systems with easy installation.
With the help of Robo 3T, Users can interact with the data bricks using the visual indicators that save time than using a command-line shell. Robo 3T is supported by JSON and is highly specific to be used for MongoDB administrative tools to perform GUI-based tasks such as users can view, edit and delete documents.
Robo 3T is a distributive native application that is fast and uses very little of the machine resources. Also, it’s an open-source project that offers innovative updates to the community. Robo 3T doesn’t emulate the mongo shell and embeds the same environment and engine.
To know more about RoboMongo, click here.
Hevo Data, a No-code Data Pipeline helps to load data from any data source such as MongoDB, SaaS applications, Cloud Storage, SDK,s, and Streaming Services and simplifies the ETL process. It supports 100+ data sources (including 30+ free data sources) and is a 3-step process by just selecting the data source, providing valid credentials, and choosing the destination. Hevo not only loads the data onto the desired Data Warehouse/destination but also enriches the data and transforms it into an analysis-ready form without having to write a single line of code.
Get Started with Hevo for Free
Its completely automated pipeline offers data to be delivered in real-time without any loss from source to destination. Its fault-tolerant and scalable architecture ensures that the data is handled in a secure, consistent manner with zero data loss and supports different forms of data. The solutions provided are consistent and work with different BI tools as well.
Check out why Hevo is the Best:
Sign up here for a 14-Day Free Trial!
- Secure: Hevo has a fault-tolerant architecture that ensures that the data is handled in a secure, consistent manner with zero data loss.
- Schema Management: Hevo takes away the tedious task of schema management & automatically detects the schema of incoming data and maps it to the destination schema.
- Minimal Learning: Hevo, with its simple and interactive UI, is extremely simple for new customers to work on and perform operations.
- Hevo Is Built To Scale: As the number of sources and the volume of your data grows, Hevo scales horizontally, handling millions of records per minute with very little latency.
- Incremental Data Load: Hevo allows the transfer of data that has been modified in real-time. This ensures efficient utilization of bandwidth on both ends.
- Live Support: The Hevo team is available round the clock to extend exceptional support to its customers through chat, E-Mail, and support calls.
- Live Monitoring: Hevo allows you to monitor the data flow and check where your data is at a particular point in time.
Key Features of RoboMongo
Some of the main features of Robo 3T that makes it a are listed below:
1) Real Autocompletion
Apart from just analyzing the semantics of the code, RoboMongo also executes the code in the internal JavaScriot Virtual Machine that allows users to get runtime autocompletion and saves time.
2) Well Designed
RoboMongo is designed keeping in mind to ease the workflow and simplify the process of viewing, editing, updating the MongoDB Database. It comes with a user-friendly user interface and is a good start for beginners to learn about MongoDB shell.
Robo 3T is a licensed open source project that makes it free to use for the public and has huge community support that adds many custom features.
4) Fully Asynchronous
RoboMongo is designed keeping in mind that all the operations performed on MongoDB are done asynchronously to deliver a non-blocking UI. This does not block the main application thread.
Installing RoboMongo on Windows
Now that you have understood about Robo 3T. In this section, you will go through the steps to the installation of Robo 3T on Windows and connect it to the MongoDB instance. You can connect your RoboMongo to an external server, VM, or a Scalegrid MongoDB instance. The following steps to install the RoboMongo on Windows are listed below:
Step 1: Installing the RoboMongo
- Go to the Robo 3T official website here and download the RoboMongo software for Windows.
- Here, click on the “Download Robo 3T” button, and it will ask to provide your contact details.
- Then download the .exe or .zip file.
- Once the download is complete, run the Robo 3T installer.
- Click on the “Next” button to start the setup.
- Then, read the License Agreement and click on the “I Agree” button.
- Let the installation path remain default. If you want to change the location you can provide a path. Then, click on the “Next” button.
- RoboMongo will start installing on your system.
- Once the installation ends, click on the “Finish” button and check the “Run Robo 3T” option.
Step 2: Configuring the MongoDB Connection
- When the software will open, it will show a welcome screen and a “MongoDB Connections” window.
- Click on the “create” option in the top left of the “MongoDB Connections” window.
- It will open the “Connection Settings” window for MongoDB.
- Provide the name of the connection as per your choice in the “Name” field.
- Now, enter your MongoDB host server IP Address in the “Address” field. The default port is 27017. You can change the configuration as per your host server.
- Then, click on the “Test” button located at the bottom left corner of the window.
- It will open up the “Diagnostic” window. Make sure that your MongoDB remote server connects to Robo 3T successfully.
- Then, close the “Diagnostic” window.
- If you didn’t set up authentication for your MongoDB Server then skip to step 3.
- Now, switch to the “Authentication” tab in the “Connection Settings” window.
- Check the “Perform authentication” option to enable the below options.
- Now, here provide the “Database” name, valid “User Name” and “Password“. After entering all the details correctly, click on the “Test” button.
- Make sure all the items in the checklist succeed. If there is any error then, check the credentials again.
Step 3: Connecting RoboMongo to MongoDB
- After successful authentication, switch to the “Advanced” tab.
- Here, provide the name of the database in the “Default Database” field. Make sure the Database should be open when you try to connect to the server.
- Then, click on the “Save” button to save all the configurations.
- Now you can see your connection in the “MongoDB Connections” window.
- Select the connection and click on the “Connect” button located at the bottom right corner of the window.
- Now, you can view all the Databases available on the remote server you are configured. Also, the list of Databases will only include for which you have provided the authentication.
That’s it! You have now successfully installed Robo 3T and connected it to the remote MongoDB server.
Technologies Used in RoboMongo
The technologies used to design and develop Robo 3T are listed below:
Robo 3T offers a stable and powerful code editor that allows users to write codes. It can easily handle text files of tens of megabytes size without lag.
Robo 3T also uses Vaolgrind, which is an Instrumentation framework allowing users to avoid memory leaks threading issues.
Qt is a cross-platform application framework that is used to create native applications for Windows, Mac, Linux, etc. Using this technology Robo 3T has been developed as a native app.
CMake is an open-source and cross-platform that is designed to build, test, and package software. It is used to control the software compilation process of Robo 3T.
Boost provides a set of portable C++ source libraries. Its libraries are widely used across a broad spectrum of applications. It is used both by RoboMongo and MongoDB.
In this article, you learnt about Robo 3T (formerly known as RoboMongo), its key features that make it one of the best and most widely used MongoDB GUI tools. You also went through the steps to install RoboMongo on Windows operating system and how to connect to a host MongoDB server. Then, you read about the technologies used to develop and test RoboMongo software. MongoDB is a widely used NoSQL Database, and Robo 3T helps users efficiently manage it using the GUI tool.
Visit our Website to Explore Hevo
MongoDB Database stores valuable business data that can be used to generate insights. Companies need to analyze their business data stored in multiple data sources. The data needs to be loaded to the Data Warehouse to get a holistic view of the data. Hevo Data is a No-code Data Pipeline solution that helps to transfer data from 100+ sources to desired Data Warehouse. It fully automates the process of transforming and transferring data to a destination without writing a single line of code.
Want to take Hevo for a spin? Sign Up here for a 14-day free trial and experience the feature-rich Hevo suite first hand.
Share your experience of learning about RoboMongo (Robo 3T) in the comments section below!