In this article, you will learn how to install MongoDB Compass on Mac OS. You will just have to follow the following six simple and easy steps in order to install MongoDB Compass on Mac OS. Before installing MongoDB compass on Mac OS let’s just look at the system requirements first. If these requirements are met then you can easily install MongoDB Compass on your Mac OS. So, read along to know more about MongoDB Compass and how you can easily do MongoDB Compass Mac installation.
Table of Contents
To successfully install MongoDB Compass Mac, make sure you meet the following requirements:
- MacOS 10.12 or later in 64-bit mode is required.
- MongoDB 3.6 or later is required.
Before we get started with the MongoDB Compass Mac OS installation, let’s take a look at what MongoDB Compass is all about.
What is MongoDB Compass?
MongoDB is an open-source document-oriented database that is the most popular NoSQL database. ‘NoSQL’ stands for ‘non-relational’. It indicates that MongoDB isn’t built on the table-like structure of relational databases, but instead uses a completely different technique for data storing and retrieval. BSON is the name of the storage format (similar to JSON format).
The MongoDB Compass graphical user interface allows you to interact with the MongoDB database management system. It’s useful because it doesn’t necessitate prior knowledge of MongoDB query syntax. However, MongoDB Compass may be used for more than just displaying data; it can also be used for query optimization, index management, and document validation.
MongoDB Compass is available in 4 different editions:
- Compass Community: This edition is designed for MongoDB development and contains a subset of the tool’s features.
- Compass: MongoDB Compass in its entirety, including all features and capabilities. Subscriptions are required to use the app.
- Readonly Compass: All write and delete features have been disabled from this version, making it purely a read-only edition.
- Isolated Compass: Except for the MongoDB server to which Compass connects, this version makes no network requests. This edition is intended for use in high-security environments.
- With complete CRUD capability, interact with documents, collections, and databases.
- Create and run aggregation pipelines and queries.
- Indexes can be created and deleted.
- Visual explanation plans allow you to see and optimize query performance.
- Authentication with Kerberos, LDAP, and x.509.
- Analysis of the Schema.
- Server Statistics in Real-Time.
- Validation rules for documents can be created, deleted, and edited.
- Collection of errors and crash reporting.
Key Features of MongoDB Compass
1) Flexible Document Schemas
MongoDB’s document model makes it simple to model and manipulate nearly any type of data structure. MongoDB’s BSON data format, which is based on JSON, allows you to have objects with multiple sets of fields in the same collection.
MongoDB allows you to create specific schemas and validate data to keep things under control, but its flexibility is invaluable when dealing with real-world data and dealing with changes in needs or environment.
2) Code-Native Data Access
To get data into Object form for usage in programs, most databases require the use of heavy wrappers such as ORMs (Object Relational Mappers). MongoDB’s decision to store and represent data in a document format implies that you may access it in any language, using native data structures such as Python dictionaries, Java Maps, etc.
3) Customize-Friendly Design
If you’re used to wanting to take your site or app offline in an attempt to change the format of your data, MongoDB is built to change.
MongoDB puts a lot of effort into building efficient methods and learning from our failures, but the database is usually the constraint. Changing schemas doesn’t require any downtime, and you can begin adding new data to MongoDB at any time without interrupting its processes.
4) Powerful Querying & Analytics
How useful is data if you can’t search for information in it? MongoDB is created to make data easy to find and rarely requires joins or transactions, but it’s more than capable of handling sophisticated queries.
With just a few lines of JSON-like MQL, you can query deep into documents and even run complicated analytics pipelines.
5) Easy Horizontal Scale-out
MongoDB is a distributed database that was built from the ground up. To maintain performance and scale horizontally, create clusters with real-time replication and shard big or high-throughput collections across many clusters.
Read MongoDB Compass Blog to understand in detail about MongoDB Compass.
Hevo Data, a No-code Data Pipeline, helps load data from any data source such as Databases, SaaS applications, Cloud Storage, SDK,s, and Streaming Services and simplifies the ETL process. It supports 150+ Data Sources such as MongoDB, including 40+ Free Sources. It is a 3-step process by just selecting the data source, providing valid credentials, and choosing the destination.
Hevo loads the data onto the desired Data Warehouse/destination in real-time and enriches the data and transforms it into an analysis-ready form without having to write a single line of code. Its completely automated pipeline, fault-tolerant, and scalable architecture ensure that the data is handled in a secure, consistent manner with zero data loss and supports different forms of data. The solutions provided are consistent and work with different BI tools as well.
GET STARTED WITH HEVO FOR FREE
Check out why Hevo is the Best:
- Secure: Hevo has a fault-tolerant architecture that ensures that the data is handled securely and consistently with zero data loss.
- Schema Management: Hevo takes away the tedious task of schema management & automatically detects the schema of incoming data and maps it to the destination schema.
- Minimal Learning: Hevo, with its simple and interactive UI, is extremely simple for new customers to work on and perform operations.
- Hevo Is Built To Scale: As the number of sources and the volume of your data grows, Hevo scales horizontally, handling millions of records per minute with very little latency.
- Incremental Data Load: Hevo allows the transfer of data that has been modified in real-time. This ensures efficient utilization of bandwidth on both ends.
- Live Support: The Hevo team is available round the clock to extend exceptional support to its customers through chat, email, and support calls.
- Live Monitoring: Hevo allows you to monitor the data flow and check where your data is at a particular point in time.
Simplify your Data Analysis with Hevo today!
SIGN UP HERE FOR A 14-DAY FREE TRIAL!
Steps to Set Up MongoDB Compass Mac Installation
In this section, you will learn the key steps to set up your MongoDB Compass Mac installation. Follow the steps below to get started with:
1) MongoDB Compass Mac: Download MongoDB Compass
You can use your favorite web browser to download Compass.
- Visit the official MongoDB website here.
- MongoDB Compass for macOS is available for download. The installer for MongoDB Compass is a.dmg disc image.
2) MongoDB Compass Mac: Install MongoDB Compass on Mac OS
After you have downloaded the MongoDB Compass Mac follow the below steps to install it:
- To access the disc image in the macOS Finder, double-click the ‘.dmg‘ file.
- To install MongoDB Compass, drag it to your Applications folder.
The disc image should be ejected.
- To start the application, double-click the Compass icon in the Applications folder.
- When you first use MongoDB Compass, you may get a message stating that it is an internet program that requires you to confirm that you wish to use it. To proceed and launch Compass, click Open.
Hurray!! You have successfully installed MongoDB Compass Mac on your Mac OS.
To summarize, MongoDB Compass is a simple tool for analyzing data stored in collections with an easy-to-use GUI. This tool is simple to use because of features like indexing, performance, query and aggregation pipeline building, and many more. MongoDB Compass is a fantastic tool for anyone who doesn’t know how to use command-line queries to interpret and manipulate data. For Mac users, MongoDB Compass is available for free. It’s available on their official website as shown above. To download it and install MongoDB Compass Mac you can follow the above-mentioned steps. By following each step carefully, you can download it easily within just a few minutes.
However, as a Developer, extracting complex data from a diverse set of data sources like Databases, CRMs, Project management Tools, Streaming Services, Marketing Platforms to your MongoDB Database can seem to be quite challenging. This is where a simpler alternative like Hevo can save your day! Hevo Data is a No-Code Data Pipeline that offers a faster way to move data from 150+ Data Sources such as MongoDB and other 40+ Free Sources, into your Data Warehouse to be visualized in a BI tool. Hevo is fully automated and hence does not require you to code.
VISIT OUR WEBSITE TO EXPLORE HEVO
Want to take Hevo for a spin?
SIGN UP and experience the feature-rich Hevo suite first hand. You can also have a look at the unbeatable Hevo Pricing that will help you choose the right plan for your business needs.
Share your experience with MongoDB Compass Mac installation in the comments section below!