MongoDB is a document-oriented NoSQL database used to store large amounts of data. Instead of using tables with rows and columns present in the Relational Databases traditionally, MongoDB uses a collection of documents. Documents consist of key-value pairs, which are the basic units of data in MongoDB. The collection contains a set of documents and functions that correspond to the tables in a relational database. MongoDB Compass is a tool to manage MongoDB and can be installed on various OS. MongoDB Compass Ubuntu is related to the installation of tools on ubuntu.
Ubuntu is the most popular Linux-based operating system. It is known for its ease of use. Ubuntu provides features such as security, app support and lastly being open-source, it is free to use.
To Be able to handle all these functionalities of MongoDB can be handled using Mongo Shell and MongoDB Compass. In this article, we will talk in detail about the MongoDB compass and the steps for MongoDB Compass Ubuntu Installation.
Table of Content
What is MongoDB Compass?
MongoDB compass is nothing but a graphical user interface that can be connected to the MongoDB database and used to find, analyze, modify, and visualize the data stored in the database without requiring any knowledge of queries.
MongoDB acts as an alternative to Mongo Shell. Mongo Shell can also perform all the aforementioned tasks but requires a lot of technical expertise. MongoDB is GUI-based whereas Shell is more technicality based i.e it uses specific commands and queries. MongoDB Compass is present in the Github repo since it is an open-source tool.
Benefits of MongoDB Compass:
- All the data stored in the database can be visualized and explored.
- Data stored in the database can be modified, created, updated, or deleted.
- Shows the Server Statistics in Real-time.
- The Visual representations clearly depict the performance issues and recommend plans.
- All the indexes can be managed.
- JSON schema validation rules can be sued to validate data.
- A wide range of plugins is available.
MongoDB Compass is a very powerful tool and all of its features are free as the full version is open source and available on GitHub. It makes use of MongoDB easier to Use as well.
Hevo Data, a No-code Data Pipeline helps to load data from any data source such as Databases, SaaS applications, Cloud Storage, SDKs, and Streaming Services and simplifies the ETL process. It supports 100+ data sources (including 30+ free data sources) like Asana and is a 3-step process by just selecting the data source, providing valid credentials, and choosing the destination. Hevo not only loads the data onto the desired Data Warehouse/destination but also enriches the data and transforms it into an analysis-ready form without having to write a single line of code.
GET STARTED WITH HEVO FOR FREE[/hevoButton]
Its completely automated pipeline offers data to be delivered in real-time without any loss from source to destination. Its fault-tolerant and scalable architecture ensure that the data is handled in a secure, consistent manner with zero data loss and supports different forms of data. The solutions provided are consistent and work with different BI tools as well.
Check out why Hevo is the Best:
SIGN UP HERE FOR A 14-DAY FREE TRIAL
- Secure: Hevo has a fault-tolerant architecture that ensures that the data is handled in a secure, consistent manner with zero data loss.
- Schema Management: Hevo takes away the tedious task of schema management & automatically detects the schema of incoming data and maps it to the destination schema.
- Minimal Learning: Hevo, with its simple and interactive UI, is extremely simple for new customers to work on and perform operations.
- Hevo Is Built To Scale: As the number of sources and the volume of your data grows, Hevo scales horizontally, handling millions of records per minute with very little latency.
- Incremental Data Load: Hevo allows the transfer of data that has been modified in real-time. This ensures efficient utilization of bandwidth on both ends.
- Live Support: The Hevo team is available round the clock to extend exceptional support to its customers through chat, email, and support calls.
- Live Monitoring: Hevo allows you to monitor the data flow and check where your data is at a particular point in time.
What is Ubuntu?
Ubuntu is one of the most used Linux-based that is Open-source and Free Software. Ubuntu is far more robust software and provides higher open-source security features when compared to traditional Linux operating systems. Ubuntu allows you to patch up a full stack from kernel to library of applications to secure the open-source applications in the system. Ubuntu is the least expensive solution in the marketplace but it is the highly sustainable of the lot. With Ubuntu, you can automate everything from Edge Clusters, Multi-cloud Operations, Bare-metal Provisioning, and IoT.
Ubuntu offers support for Cloud DevOps and optimized ML. This makes it the preferred choice for professionals. Laced with features like configuration lockdown, full disk encryption, local Kubernetes for Offline Development, and certified workstations make Ubuntu, one of the best picks of the lot.
Key Features of Ubuntu 20.04 OS
Here are a few salient features of Ubuntu 20.04 OS:
- Enhanced Support: The Ubuntu 20.04 OS can provide support for new hardware such as the Initial Tiger Lake platform, Intel Comet Lake CPU, and many other powerful features.
- Network Configuration: With the release of this Ubuntu version, netplan.io has a variety of new features such as GSM modem support via the NetworkManager backend via the modem section. Apart from that, the ability to configure IPv6 address generation for the NetworkManager backend is also provided in this release.
- File Systems/Storage: Starting with the Eoan version, Ubuntu provides Focal zfs 0.8.3. Here are some new features. Pool TRIM, device deletion, native encryption, etc.
- RISC-V Image: Ubuntu 20.04 OS makes available RISCV images for HiFive SiFive Unmatched and Unleashed boards. These images can also be used as a Virtual Machine with QEMU on any Ubuntu 20.04 machine.
Steps for MongoDB Compass Ubuntu Installation
MongoDB Compass is a tool that provides a wide range of functionality and can be used to manage the data in the MongoDB database. MongoDB Compass Ubuntu Installation requires 5 steps.
1. MongoDB Compass Ubuntu: Download MongoDB Compass Ubuntu
There are two ways to download the files required for MongoDB Compass Ubuntu Installation.
- go the official website of MongoDB. Go to the downloads page and select the version, platform, and type of file to be downloaded as shown in the image. This will directly download the file into the downloads folder of your system.
- Directly download the required files using the command mentioned below( using wget command). To open the terminal click on ctrl+alt+T.
2. MongoDB Compass Ubuntu: Open Ubuntu Command Terminal
If you have used the first method earlier, the file would be present in the downloads folder and you would need to go into the folder. Open the terminal using Ctrl+Alt+T. Then use the below command to move into the downloads folder.
3. MongoDB Compass Ubuntu: Install MongoDB Compass on Ubuntu
The process to Install for both the methods is slightly different.
If you have downloaded the file manually using the APT package manager present in ubuntu. Use the following command.
sudo apt install ./mongodb-compass_*_amd64.deb
If you have downloaded the file using the terminal use the following command to install the MongoDB Compass Ubuntu.
sudo dpkg -i mongodb-compass_1.30.1_amd64.deb
4. MongoDB Compass Ubuntu: Run Compass GUI
After the installation is complete you can use the terminal to open the MongoDB Compass. You can directly search for shortcuts or type
5. MongoDB Compass Ubuntu: Connect MongoDB Database
After the database instance of MongoDB is installed, then click on Connect button on the GUI.
- Click on the New Connection.
- Provide your local or remote MongoDB URL and click on the CONNECT button. This will connect you to the MongoDB database. You should see the following page:
6. MongoDB Compass Ubuntu: Connect remote Database instance
- this tool allows to perform all tasks related to databases with ease. Click on the CREATE DATABASE button to create a new database. You should see the following page:
- MongoDB compass provides a proper interface to monitor the performance metrics of the database as well. Click on the Performance tab. You should see the MongoDB performance monitor on the following page:
MongoDB is one of the most sought after databases and provides a wide range of functionality. MongoDB Compass is the tool to utilize all the features. Ubuntu being one the most used linux based operating systems around the world, MongoDB Compass Ubuntu Installation can cater to a larger audience. This article gave a guide on MongoDB compass and step by step guide on MongoDB Compass Ubuntu Installation.
MongoDB is a trusted source that a lot of companies use as it provides many benefits but transferring data from it into a data warehouse is a hectic task. The Automated data pipeline helps in solving this issue and this is where Hevo comes into the picture. Hevo Data is a No-code Data Pipeline and has awesome 100+ pre-built Integrations that you can choose from.
visit our website to explore hevo[/hevoButton]
Hevo can help you Integrate your data from numerous sources and load them into a destination to Analyze real-time data with a BI tool such as Tableau. It will make your life easier and data migration hassle-free. It is user-friendly, reliable, and secure.
SIGN UP for a 14-day free trial and see the difference!
Share your experience of learning about steps to MongoDB Compass Ubuntu in the comments section below.