Marketing is one of the essential aspects to make a business grow rapidly. Every company uses Marketing to increase its brand awareness. E-Mail Marketing is widely used to personally reach out to new audiences. Mailchimp is an E-Mail Marketing platform preferred by marketers to automate E-Mail outreach.
Companies store their contacts of audiences and other user details from many heterogeneous sources in Data Warehouses such as Amazon Redshift. Connecting Amazon Redshift to Mailchimp allows marketers to import their contacts from Redshift to Mailchimp and outreach new customers or update the status of existing customers.
Connecting Amazon Redshift to Mailchimp will simplify the outreach workflow. In this article, you will go through two detailed approaches to connecting Amazon Redshift to Mailchimp.
Table of Contents
- What is Mailchimp?
- What is Amazon Redshift?
- Why Connect Amazon Redshift to Mailchimp?
- Methods to Connect Amazon Redshift to Mailchimp
- Method 1: Using CSV Files to Manually Connect Redshift to Mailchimp
- Method 2: Sync Data from Redshift to Mailchimp using Hevo Activate
What is Mailchimp?
Mailchimp is an automated Marketing Platform allowing businesses to manage, organize and automate their marketing workflow. It makes it easier for users to send automated E-Mails to their audiences of different types and interact with them for building better relationships with customers. Companies use Mailchimp to manage mail lists and segment their audiences based on interest, behavior, or user details. Mailchimp provides various tools to help marketers reach out to their target audience.
Mailchimp is a web-based platform so you don’t need to worry about installing any standalone, and can be accessed remotely with a web browser. With the help of Mailchimp, marketers can create multi-channel marketing campaigns and outreach to customers using E-Mails.
Key Features of Mailchimp
Some of the main features of Mailchimp are listed below:
- App Integrations: Mailchimp offers integrations with over 250 apps that make it easier for users to connect other applications and services to access data.
- Audience Dashboard: Mailchimp comes with Audience Dashboard that allows users to identify the pattern in the contact data and analyze them to get useful insights from it and use it further to boost the Marketing.
- E-Mail Templates: Mailchimp offers a plethora of mail templates allowing users to quickly edit and send E-Mails to their audience. You can also import your E-Mail templates and modify the existing ones.
To learn more about Mailchimp, click here.
What is Amazon Redshift?
Amazon Redshift is a petabyte-scale fully-managed Data Warehouse by AWS (Amazon Web Services) to help companies store and analyze their data. Amazon Redshift Data Warehouse is notable for its fast performance in data queries. It uses techniques like Columnar Data Storage and Massive Parallel Processing (MPP) to generate query responses quickly.
Key Features of Amazon Redshift
Some of the main features of Amazon Redshift are listed below:
- Data Encryption: Amazon Redshift encrypts data for privacy and security. It offers an extra security feature where users can decide which data needs encryption and which does not.
- Concurrency: Amazon Redshift is capable to to run thousands of concurrent queries without affecting the performance. The computation capacity is increased automatically as the workload increases.
- Backup Services: Amazon Redshift offers automatic backup features of your Data Warehouse to multiple zones around the world. It is to avoid any data loss in any disaster.
To learn more about Amazon Redshift, click here.
Why Connect Amazon Redshift to Mailchimp?
Building a good relationship with your customers is an important aspect of a healthy and successful business. Mailchimp helps marketers to build and maintain a healthy relationship with their audiences It helps in automating their E-Mail Marketing workflow. Companies collect user data from various sources and store them to outreach them through newsletters, personal E-Mails, advertisements, etc.
Companies unify and organize their data from multiple sources to a common Data Storage such as Databases and Data Warehouses. Amazon Redshift stores data user details and other business information. Once you connect Redshift to Mailchimp, you can import new contacts of audiences and frow your mailing list. It will help boost your marketing efforts and allow you to build relationships with your customers. You can send personalized E-mails to your audiences to retarget them and offer them special offers, discounts, etc.
Explore Methods to Sync Data from Redshift to Mailchimp
This method involves manually converting your Redshift data into CSV Files using certain SQL commands. The data present in the CSV Files then has to be modified according to the format specified by Mailchimp. Afterward, the data can be imported and mapped directly into Mailchimp.
Hevo Activate provides a hassle-free, one-stop solution to sync data from Redshift to Mailchimp in an effortless manner. Hevo Activate syncs customer /product data in the warehouse to your Business Application. With Hevo Activate you can bring the data to fingertips of your business teams, where they need it the most – Business Applications. Teams can now make faster, smarter decisions by analyzing user journeys and creating personalized experiences with Hevo Activate.GET STARTED WITH HEVO ACTIVATE FOR FREE
Methods to Connect Amazon Redshift to Mailchimp
Now that you have briefly understood Mailchimp and Amazon Redshift. In this section, you will learn 2 methods to connect Redshift to Mailchimp. The first method will be manual and the second method will be automated using Hevo Activate which is a Reverse ETL solution. The following methods to connect Redshift to Mailchimp are listed below:
Method 1: Using CSV Files to Manually Connect Redshift to Mailchimp
In this section, you will go through steps to download CSV data from Redshift and manually import it to Mailchimp. First, you must load your data from Redshift to S3 in CSV format. Then, you need to download the CSV file from Amazon S3 and load it to Mailchimp. The following steps to connect Amazon Redshift to Mailchimp are listed below:
- Step 1: Unloading Amazon Redshift Data to S3
- Step 2: Downloading CSV Data from Amazon S3 Bucket
- Step 3: Uploading CSV Data from Redshift to Mailchimp
Step 1: Unloading Amazon Redshift Data to S3
- First, you have to log in to your Amazon Redshift Console here.
- Then, navigate to the query editor and use the command as shown below to export the redshift data to the S3 bucket in CSV file format:
unload ('select * from table_name') to 's3://mybucket/unload/' iam_role 'arn:aws:iam::0123456789012:role/MyRedshiftRole' CSV;
- In the above query, you need to provide a table name in place of table_name.
- Then provide the location of your AWS S3 bucket where you want to write Redshift data related to audiences and customers to CSV file format.
- Then, you have to provide an AWS IAM Role.
- Execute the query and it will export Redshift data to your AWS S3 bucket in CSV file format.
Step 2: Downloading CSV Data from Amazon S3 Bucket
- Now go to your Amazon S3 Bucket where you have stored your new CSV file containing Redshift Data.
- Select that CSV file and then download it to your local machine.
Step 3: Uploading CSV Data from Redshift to Mailchimp
- Data downloaded from the Amazon Redshift are contacts of audiences that can be used in Mailchimp.
- First, log in to your Mailchimp account here.
- Now, navigate to the Audience Dashboard from the Audience option in the side navigation menu.
- Here, click on the Add Your Contacts button.
- It will open a page to import contacts. Make sure your CSV file downloaded from the Amazon Redshift should have columns with label fields such as Email Address, First Name, and Last Name.
- Choose the Upload a file option and then click on the Continue button.
- Click on the Browse option. It will open a dialog box to upload a CSV file from your local machine.
- Next, click on the Continue to Organize button.
- Then, you have to organize your contacts by selecting a status from Subscribed, Unsubscribed, Non-Subscribed, and Cleaned.
- Next, click on the Continue to Tag button.
- Now provide some tags to your audience and then click on the Continue to Match button.
- Next match the columns for Email Address, First Name, and Last Name from the CSV file and continue.
That’s it! You have loaded data from Amazon Redshift to Mailchimp.
Method 2: Sync Data from Redshift to Mailchimp using Hevo Activate
Hevo Activate supports HubSpot, Salesforce, Google Sheets, Mailchimp, and much more as Data Destinations. Now sync data into Business Applications from leading Cloud Data Warehouses like Snowflake, Redshift, BigQuery, and Relational Databases such as PostgreSQL in a hassle-free manner. Hevo Activate is fully managed and completely automates the process of syncing data from your desired Database to a Business Application. Its fault-tolerant architecture ensures that the data is handled securely and consistently with zero data loss.
Hevo Activate takes care of all your data preprocessing needs and lets you focus on key business activities and draw a much more robust insight, helping today’s Business & Operations teams retain customers, and take their business to new heights of profitability. It provides a consistent & reliable solution to manage data in near real-time.
Step 1: Configure Redshift as a Source
Configure Amazon Redshift as a Source in Hevo by following the instructions below:
- In the Asset Palette, choose PIPELINES.
- In the Pipelines List View, click + CREATE.
- Select Amazon Redshift on the Select Source Type page.
- Set the following parameters on the Configure your Amazon Redshift Source page:
- Pipeline Name: Give your Pipeline a unique name.
- Database Cluster Identifier: The IP address or DNS name of the Amazon Redshift host.
- Database Port: The port on which your Amazon Redshift server listens for connections is known as the database port. 5439 is the default value.
- Database User: The authenticated person who has the authorization to browse tables in your database is known as a database user.
- Database Password: The database user’s password.
- Choose an Ingestion Mode: This is the method you wish to use to ingest data from the Source. Table and Custom SQL are the two ingestion modes offered. Ingestion Modes is a good place to start.
- Database Name: The name of the database you want to replicate.
- Connect via SSH: Select this option to connect to Hevo via an SSH tunnel rather than connecting directly to your Amazon Redshift database host. By not exposing your Amazon Redshift setup to the public, you may provide an extra layer of security to your database. Connecting Through SSH is a good book to read. You must whitelist Hevo’s IP addresses if this option is deactivated.
- To continue setting up the Destination, click TEST & CONTINUE to connect Redshift to Mailchimp.
Step 2: Configuring Mailchimp as a Target
Configure Mailchimp as a destination in Hevo by following the instructions below:
- Click Activate in the Asset Palette.
- Do one of the following:
- Select the TARGETS tab in the Targets List View, and click + CREATE TARGET.
- Select the ACTIVATIONS tab in the Activations List View, and click + CREATE ACTIVATION.
- In the Select Warehouse page, select your Activate Warehouse or click + ADD WAREHOUSE to add a new warehouse. Read Activate Warehouses to configure the selected Warehouse type.
- In the Select a Target page, click + ADD TARGET.
- In the Select a Target Type page, click on Mailchimp.
- In the Add the Mailchimp Target page, click + ADD MAILCHIMP ACCOUNT.
- Log in to your Mailchimp account, and click Allow, authorizing Hevo to access your Mailchimp account.
- In the Add the Mailchimp Target page, specify a unique Target Name.
- Click CONTINUE.
Hevo Activate supports Mailchimp as a destination and Redshift as a source. You can check out the integrations supported by Hevo Activate on our Integration Page.
Check out what makes Hevo Activate amazing:
- Real-time Data Transfer: Hevo Activate, with its strong Integration with various sources, allows you to transfer data quickly & efficiently. This ensures efficient utilization of bandwidth on both ends.
- Data Transformation: It provides a simple interface to perfect, modify, and enrich the data you want to transfer.
- Secure: Hevo Activate has a fault-tolerant architecture that ensures that the data is handled in a secure, consistent manner with zero data loss.
- Tremendous Connector Availability: Hevo Activate houses a large variety of connectors and lets you bring in data from numerous Data Warehouses and load it into Marketing & SaaS applications, such as Salesforce, HubSpot, Zendesk, Intercom, etc. in an integrated and analysis-ready form.
- Simplicity: Using Hevo Activate is easy and intuitive, ensuring that your data is exported in just a few clicks.
- Completely Managed Platform: Hevo Activate is fully managed. You need not invest time and effort to maintain or monitor the infrastructure involved in executing codes.
- Live Support: The Hevo Activate team is available round the clock to extend exceptional support to its customers through chat, email, and support calls.
Advantages of Connecting Amazon Redshift to Mailchimp
Some of the main advantages of connecting Amazon Redshift to Mailchimp are listed below:
- Connecting Amazon Redshift to Mailchimp allows marketers to update and grow their E-Mail list to boost marketing.
- Connecting Amazon Redshift to Mailchimp using automated tools such as Hevo helps in the real-time loading of user details to Mailchimp.
This article provided you a brief overview of Mailchimp and Amazon Redshift, also providing methods to connect Amazon Redshift to Mailchimp. The first method is a time consuming task where you have to manually load data from Redshift every time you need to update your contacts in Mailchimp. The second method that leverages Hevo Activate automates the process to seamlessly sync data from Redshift to Mailchimp.Visit our Website to Explore Hevo
Hevo Activate will automate your data transfer process, hence allowing you to focus on other aspects of your business like analytics, customer management, etc. This platform allows you to transfer data from Cloud-based Data Warehouses like Amazon Redshift to various Business Applications. It will provide you with a hassle-free data syncing experience and make your work life much easier.
Want to take Hevo for a spin? Sign Up for a 14-day free trial and experience the feature-rich Hevo suite firsthand. You can also have a look at the unbeatable pricing that will help you choose the right plan for your business needs.
Share your experience of learning about connecting Redshift to Mailchimp in the comments section below.