Campaign management plays a significant role in the growth of businesses. It consists of planning, executing, monitoring, and analyzing a marketing initiative. Most companies run these marketing campaigns to attract more customers to their products and services. Taboola is one such marketing campaign management platform that helps businesses promote their websites or apps with ads. Taboola allows firms to access and store the marketing campaign data in a centralized repository like Google BigQuery for in-depth analysis.
Google BigQuery combines powerful BI tools to gain meaningful insights into the marketing campaign data and help businesses make better decisions. You can connect Taboola to Google BigQuery with third-party ETL (Extract, Load, and Transform) tools and standard APIs.
This article teaches you to Connect Taboola to BigQuery using manual processes and also automatic processes like Hevo.
The basic need for integration
What is Taboola?
Developed in 2007, Taboola is a web-based advertising platform that helps businesses promote their websites, blogs, or articles. It is the most popular cloud-based content marketing and discovery platform used by publishers, authors, and media companies to connect their businesses with the target audience and increase the ROI.
Taboola can position ads that can increase their chances of getting clicked by the target audience. A user reading an article has the highest chance of clicking on the ad if the ad resonates with the article’s content. Therefore, Taboola uses a deep learning algorithm to recommend ads on your websites and apps.
Taboola allows businesses to choose the marketing campaigns based on their goals, such as increasing sales, generating more leads, increasing traffic, or increasing brand awareness. They can also analyze the data consumption of the campaigns.
Key Features of Taboola
- Attracts Audience: Taboola attracts a target audience and drives them to your website with the help of engaging content or ads. These unique and relevant ads can be created using Taboola’s user behavior data and flexible formats. The ad is published on various websites to interact with more people irrespective of their location or field of work.
- Taboola User-Interface: Taboola has a user-friendly interface with improved navigation that can generate reports and analyze data with just a few clicks. The user interface includes an uploading feature where businesses can upload creative assets for ad campaigns. It also consists of in-product guidelines suggesting business improvements to improve ad campaigns.
What is Google BigQuery?
Developed in 2010, Google BigQuery is a highly scalable, multi-cloud data warehouse with a built-in query engine. It is also known as the fully managed data warehouse that can scale and analyze petabytes of data within seconds.
Google BigQuery is called SQL-based Data Warehouse as a Service (DWaaS) with zero infrastructure management. Since it is a fully managed data warehouse, BigQuery does not require any upfront hardware provisioning or management.
Google BigQuery is based on Dremel technology and stores data in Columnar Storage format, providing high performance and high data compression capabilities. Along with high performance, BigQuery also enables businesses to reduce additional costs by independently scaling storage and computation units.
BigQuery uses a Columnar Storage format that is optimized for analytical queries to store data. BigQuery displays data in tables, rows, and columns, with full database transaction semantics support (ACID). To ensure high availability, BigQuery storage is automatically replicated across multiple locations.
Key Features of Google BigQuery
- BigQuery BI Engine: BigQuery consists of the BI engine, which helps businesses process large datasets with sub-second query response time and high concurrency. The BI engine can work with powerful tools like Google Data Studio, Power BI, Tableau, and more for data analysis. It can also work with tools like libraries, BigQuery SQL, JDBC drivers, and more.
- Machine Learning: Google BigQuery enables businesses to create machine learning models using SQL queries. It supports different machine learning models such as Logistic Regression, Binary Logistic Regression, K-means clustering, Multi-Class Regression, and more.
- Real-time Analytics: BigQuery keeps you up-to-date with real-time transfer and analytics. It can allocate resources to deliver the best performance and outcomes intelligently, which helps in generating business reports quickly when needed.
- User Friendly: You can store and analyze the data in Google BigQuery with simple clicks. It consists of an easy-to-understand interface, which provides simple instructions at every step to set up your data warehouse quickly. Since BigQuery is a fully managed data warehouse, the tasks like deploying clusters, setting storage size or compression, and encryption settings are all done automatically. As a result, you can set up your data warehouse easily and quickly with Google BigQuery.
Why Connect Taboola to BigQuery?
The Taboola platform uses Deep Learning technology to recommend the appropriate content to the appropriate person at the appropriate time using Taboola’s unique data about people’s interests and information consumption. One of the most well-known DBaaS products available today is Google Bigquery.
It is an affordable, fully managed, serverless enterprise data warehouse. It now only takes a few minutes and a few hundred dollars to do something that used to take months and hundreds of thousands of dollars just a few years ago.
Reduce your reliance on pricey servers and fixed-price systems by quickly optimizing your data query and computation processes with BigQuery Taboola Integration. If done manually, compiling and processing data from various sources for in-depth research is a significant challenge.
If yours anything like the 1000+ data-driven companies that use Hevo, more than 70% of the business apps you use are SaaS applications Integrating the data from these sources in a timely way is crucial to fuel analytics and the decisions that are taken from it. But given how fast API endpoints etc can change, creating and managing these pipelines can be a soul-sucking exercise.
Hevo’s no-code data pipeline platform lets you connect over 150+ sources in a matter of minutes to deliver data in near real-time to your warehouse. What’s more, the in-built transformation capabilities and the intuitive UI means even non-engineers can set up pipelines and achieve analytics-ready data in minutes.
Take our 14-day free trial to experience a better way to manage data pipelines.
Get started for Free with Hevo!
Connecting Taboola to Google BigQuery
Method 1: Using Hevo to Set Up Taboola to BigQuery
Hevo provides an Automated No-code Data Pipeline that helps you move your Taboola to BigQuery. Hevo is fully-managed and completely automates the process of not only loading data from your 150+ data sources(including 40+ free sources)but also enriching the data and transforming it into an analysis-ready form without having to write a single line of code. Its fault-tolerant architecture ensures that the data is handled in a secure, consistent manner with zero data loss.
Using Hevo, you can connect Taboola to BigQuery in the following 2 steps:
- Step 1: Configure Taboola as the Source in your Pipeline by following the steps below:
- Step 1.1: In the Asset Palette, select PIPELINES.
- Step 1.2: In the Pipelines List View, click + CREATE.
- Step 1.3: Select Taboola on the Select Source Type page.
- Step 1.4: Set the following in the Configure your Taboola Source page:
- Pipeline Name: A name for the Pipeline that is unique and does not exceed 255 characters.
- Client ID: Your Taboola advertiser account’s Client ID.
- Client Secret: Your Taboola advertiser account’s Client Secret. In the onboarding email communication, your Taboola Account Manager will share the Client ID and Client Secret. If necessary, you can request these from the Taboola team again.
- Advertiser Accounts: Once you’ve entered the correct Client ID and Secret, this field will appear. Choose which advertiser accounts you want to import data from.
- Historical Sync Duration: The time it takes for historical data to be synced with the Destination. 1 Year is the default value.
- Step 1.5: TEST & CONTINUE is the button to click.
- Step 1.6: Set up the Destination and configure the data ingestion.
- Step 2: To set up Google BigQuery as a destination in Hevo, follow these steps:
- Step 2.1: In the Asset Palette, select DESTINATIONS.
- Step 2.2: In the Destinations List View, click + CREATE.
- Step 2.3: Select Google BigQuery from the Add Destination page.
- Step 2.4: Choose the BigQuery connection authentication method on the Configure your Google BigQuery Account page.
- Step 2.5: Choose one of these:
- Using a Service Account to connect:
- Service Account Key file, please attach.
- Note that Hevo only accepts key files in JSON format.
- Go to CONFIGURE GOOGLE BIGQUERY ACCOUNT and click it.
- Using a user account to connect:
- To add a Google BigQuery account, click +.
- Become a user with BigQuery Admin and Storage Admin permissions by logging in.
- To grant Hevo access to your data, click Allow.
- Step 2.6: Set the following parameters on the Configure your Google BigQuery page:
- Destination Name: A unique name for your Destination.
- Project ID: The BigQuery Project ID that you were able to retrieve in Step 2 above and for which you had permitted the previous steps.
- Dataset ID: Name of the dataset that you want to sync your data to, as retrieved in Step 3 above.
- GCS Bucket: To upload files to BigQuery, they must first be staged in the cloud storage bucket that was retrieved in Step 4 above.
- Enable Streaming Inserts: Enable this option to load data via a job according to a defined Pipeline schedule rather than streaming it to your BigQuery Destination as it comes in from the Source. To learn more, go to Near Real-time Data Loading Using Streaming. The setting cannot be changed later.
- Sanitize Table/Column Names: Activate this option to replace the spaces and non-alphanumeric characters in between the table and column names with underscores ( ). Name Sanitization is written.
- Step 2.5: Click Test Connection to test connectivity with the Amazon Redshift warehouse.
- Step 2.6: Once the test is successful, click SAVE DESTINATION.
Method 2: Using Custom Code to Move Data from Taboola to BigQuery
Follow the process below to move data from Taboola to BigQuery.
Exporting Taboola Data
Taboola allows you to view and analyze your campaign data with the help of campaign reports. You can understand what is happening with your campaigns, including the performance information, which can be used to optimize your campaign.
Search and Export Campaigns
You can search your list of campaigns using the search bar at the top of the campaign list. You can use the Campaign name or Campaign ID to search your campaign.
You can also export your campaign list to your Google Drive or Excel sheet by clicking on the export button next to the search bar.
Importing Data to Google BigQuery
In BigQuery, you can append your csv file to overwrite an existing table or position. When the csv file is loaded into Google BigQuery, it is converted into columnar format or Capacitor.
Add the required IAM permissions before loading the csv file into BigQuery.
- Permission to load data into BigQuery
Each predefined IAM role consists of the below permissions required to load data into the BigQuery table.
roles/bigquery.admin (includes the bigquery.jobs.create permission)
bigquery.user (includes the bigquery.jobs.create permission)
bigquery.jobUser (includes the bigquery.jobs.create permission)
- Permission to load data from cloud storage
Include the below permissions to load data from the cloud storage.
- Load the csv file into a BigQuery table
You need the following to load the csv file into a BigQuery table.
- The Cloud Console.
- The bq command-line tool’s bq load command.
- Calling the jobs.insert API method.
- Client libraries.
Follow the below steps to load the csv file into the BigQuery table.
- Go to the BigQuery page on the Cloud Console.
- Open your project in the Explorer pane and then select a dataset.
- Click on Create table in the Dataset info section.
- Enter the following details in the Create table panel.
Select Google Cloud Storage in the Source section. Create a table from the list and follow the below steps.
- You can select the file from the Google Cloud Storage bucket or enter the Cloud Storage URI. You cannot add multiple URLs in the Cloud Console, but you can include wildcards.
- Select the csv file format.
Enter the below details in the Destination section.
- Choose the dataset to create the table.
- Enter the name of the table in the Table field.
- Verify that the Table field is set to Native table.
In the Schema section, enter the Schema definition and select Auto-detect for enabling the auto-detection of the Schema. Enter the Schema definition using any of the below ways.
- Click on Edit as text and then paste the Schema in the JSON arrays format. When you are using JSON arrays, generate the Schema using the same process as creating a JSON schema file. You can view the Schema of the existing table in the JSON format using the below command.
bq show --format=prettyjson dataset.table
- Click on the Add field and then enter the table Schema. Enter the name, type, and mode of the field.
To create a table in BigQuery, click on the Advanced Options and follow the next instructions.
Limitations of Manually Connecting Taboola to BigQuery
Businesses can connect Taboola data to BigQuery using standard APIs and manual processes. With the manual processes, companies can easily export data from Taboola to BigQuery. Although the manual process might seem easy, it cannot process real-time data. Whereas, in the case of standard APIs, you need to hire a strong technical team to connect Taboola to BigQuery. Therefore, to eliminate such issues, you can connect Taboola to BigQuery using third-party ETL tools like Hevo to provide automated pipelines between Taboola to BigQuery to transfer data seamlessly.
In this article, you learned to connect Taboola to BigQuery. Taboola has helped more than 20107 companies build and improve their marketing campaigns. Integrating Taboola to BigQuery can assist businesses in analyzing the marketing campaign data and gaining meaningful insights, leading to better business decisions.
Visit our Website to Explore Hevo
Hevo offers a No-code Data Pipeline that can automate your data transfer process, hence allowing you to focus on other aspects of your business like Analytics, Marketing, Customer Management, etc.
This platform allows you to transfer data from 150+ sources (including 40+ Free Sources) such as Taboola and Cloud-based Data Warehouses like Snowflake, Google BigQuery, etc. It will provide you with a hassle-free experience and make your work life much easier.
Want to take Hevo for a spin?
Sign Up for a 14-day free trial and experience the feature-rich Hevo suite firsthand. You can also have a look at the unbeatable pricing that will help you choose the right plan for your business needs.