Top 8 MongoDB GUI Tools to Use in 2023
The need for NoSQL databases is growing as enterprises generate massive amounts of unstructured data. Prior to NoSQL databases, data was stored in relational databases where information was organized into tables or relations, which are intersections of rows and columns.
Table of Contents
However, Dwight Merriman, Eliot Horowitz, and Kevin Ryan created MongoDB as an open-source document-oriented database for storing large amounts of unstructured data. MongoDB is a scalable, flexible database platform that eliminates the need for traditional relational databases. Today, its horizontal scaling and load-balancing capabilities provide users with an unmatched level of flexibility.
In this article, we shall understand the important features of MongoDB, learn the importance of MongoDB GUI, and the best MongoDB GUIs available today.
Table of Contents
- What is MongoDB?
- Key Features of MongoDB
- What are the Top 8 MongoDB GUIs?
- Understanding of Database Management Systems.
What is MongoDB?
MongoDB is a well-known open-source NoSQL database that is available and hugely popular among businesses today. MongoDB is a Document-Oriented Database (DODB) that stores data in JSON-like documents with a Dynamic Schema. Also known as BSON (Binary JSON), this format allows you to store data without worrying about the Data Structure, the number of fields, or the types of fields used to store values. BSON, for example, has a ‘Date’ Data Type, which in JSON would be represented as a String Type.
Key Features of MongoDB
- Data Replication: MongoDB allows replication through the use of Replica Sets. These Replica Sets are made up of many MongoDB instances, each with a single primary (master) node and a number of secondary (slave) nodes. The modifications made to the primary node are automatically copied to the secondary node, ensuring that identical data is preserved across all servers. If the primary node fails, an automated election process begins, with one of the secondary nodes being chosen as the new primary node. In the absence of a primary node, this procedure can take up to a minute to complete, and the database will not reply to any queries.
- High Data Availability: MongoDB’s Replication feature allows you to back up and restore data across many servers. Because it keeps the same data or shards of data across several servers, it provides greater data availability and stability. This ensures data access and security at all times, even if the server fails or other problems arise.
- Quick Performance: Because the majority of the data is kept in RAM, it is easier for developers to collect data and run queries directly. Its features like replication and GridFS also help to improve data availability. GridFS helps in segregating large files into smaller chunks and stores them on separate documents. Consequently, there is a likelihood of providing quicker performance and more accurate indexes than other relational databases.
- Scalability: MongoDB handles massive amounts of data with ease because of a mechanism known as Sharding. MongoDB solves data storage needs by employing the Sharding concept, which involves spreading and storing data over several computers. This enables MongoDB to scale horizontally and effectively handle read-write demand.
Simplify MongoDB ETL & Analysis Using Hevo’s No-code Data Pipeline
Hevo Data is a No-code Data Pipeline that offers a fully managed solution to set up Data Integration from 100+ Data Sources (including 40+ Free sources) and will let you directly load data from sources like MongoDB to a Data Warehouse or the Destination of your choice. It will automate your data flow in minutes without writing any line of code. Its fault-tolerant architecture makes sure that your data is secure and consistent. Hevo provides you with a truly efficient and fully automated solution to manage data in real-time and always have analysis-ready data.Get Started with Hevo for Free
Let’s look at some of the salient features of Hevo:
- Fully Managed: It requires no management and maintenance as Hevo is a fully automated platform.
- Data Transformation: It provides a simple interface to perfect, modify, and enrich the data you want to transfer.
- Real-Time: Hevo offers real-time data migration. So, your data is always ready for analysis.
- Schema Management: Hevo can automatically detect the schema of the incoming data and maps it to the destination schema.
- Connectors: Hevo supports 100+ Integrations to SaaS platforms FTP/SFTP, Files, Databases, BI tools, and Native REST API & Webhooks Connectors. It supports various destinations including Google BigQuery, Amazon Redshift, Snowflake, Firebolt, Data Warehouses; Amazon S3 Data Lakes; Databricks; and MySQL, SQL Server, TokuDB, MongoDB, PostgreSQL Databases to name a few.
- Secure: Hevo has a fault-tolerant architecture that ensures that the data is handled in a secure, consistent manner with zero data loss.
- Hevo Is Built To Scale: As the number of sources and the volume of your data grows, Hevo scales horizontally, handling millions of records per minute with very little latency.
- Live Monitoring: Advanced monitoring gives you a one-stop view to watch all the activities that occur within Data Pipelines.
- Live Support: Hevo team is available round the clock to extend exceptional support to its customers through chat, email, and support calls.
What are the Top 8 MongoDB GUIs?
MongoDB’s default interface is the mongosh (MongoDB shell), which is used for searching and updating data, as well as to perform admin tasks. It’s included with the MongoDB Server installation, allowing you to quickly get started with shell commands.
While you can still use the MongoDB shell command line to query your Mongo data, MongoDB GUIs have proven to be a useful option by giving a superior user experience. MongoDB GUIs provide you with a graphical user interface for your MongoDB database, allowing you to see data and update queries without having to use shell commands.
In other words, they make it possible for users to interact with the MongoDB database, view data, modify queries, and more without having to use the command line. The following is a list of the most widely used MongoDB management tools with graphical user interfaces.
1. Studio 3T
Previously known as MongoChef, Studio 3T is the only MongoDB GUI tool with a SQL Migration feature that works with Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL, SQL Server, IBM DB2, and Sybase databases.
Unlike other GUIs, Studio 3T allows you to import entire databases, configure table-to-JSON connections, and preview documents before running the import. Studio 3T is a client, an IDE, and a MongoDB GUI all rolled into one.
The Studio 3T is one of the best and most popular MongoDB GUIs, which is used by over 100,000 people, including companies like AT&T, Nike, Microsoft, Google, Intel, and Tesla.
- Multiple Data Viewing Options: You can view documents in Table, Tree, or JSON View, with Table and Tree View allowing in-place editing.
- Aggregation Editor: This tool will make it easier for you to create complicated queries. Further, it offers a unique feature that allows you to scale down complex queries into stages, making it easier for you to apply pipeline operators to each stage and examine results at each step.
It offers three subscription packages viz., Basic, Pro, Ultimate, priced at $199.00/user/year, $399.00/user/year, and $699.00/user/year respectively.
NoSQLBooster is a widely used shell-centric MongoDB GUI tool for Linux, Windows, and Mac OS. It was previously known as MongoBooster, but due to trademark issues, they had to update its name.
- IntelliSense: This language service, like Studio 3T’s IntelliShell, appears as a tooltip as you type, suggesting completions, methods, properties, variables, keywords, collection names, field names, and operators.
- npm packages: With over half a million free packages, the npm registry is the largest software registry. You may use NoSQLBooster to integrate any NPM package into the MongoDB shell script. As a matter of fact, this MongoDB GUI already has a variety of important and popular utility modules in the global scope, ready to use, such as lodash, moment, bluebird, ShellJS, and math.js.
- Fluent Query Builder API: Instead of providing a JSON object, this allows you to compose a query using chaining syntax. There is a chainable method for every MongoDB query, projection, and aggregate stage operator.
It has free, personal, and commercial editions/licenses, each catering to different business needs.
HumongouS.io is an advanced online MongoDB GUI that goes beyond the standard MongoDB interface. It has a full-featured online admin interface building tool with an easy-to-use interface that is suitable even for non-technical users.
You can invite individuals to work with you from the app, and you can access the app from any end-user device – mobile, tablet, or laptop.
- Smart filters: You can configure filters that allow you to see your collections as chips, allowing for easy access. This eliminates the need to repeat searches, and the greatest thing is that once you create your search filter, it becomes part of your MongoDB collections, which you can manage just like any other collection.
- Widgets: They allow you to personalize how your data is displayed and to get data from certain reference collections as needed. HumongouS.io offers three types of widgets. Viewer widgets are components that are used to portray data in a form that is more meaningful than its default textual values. In HumongouS.io, form widgets are customizable building elements for forms, whereas layout widgets are alternatives to the default table view.
It has two standard pricing plans i.e., Team ($19 per user, per month) and Business ($49 per user, per month). It also offers flexible Enterprise oriented pricings too.
4. Robo 3T
Before being bought by 3T Software Labs and renamed Robo 3T, Robomongo was the best open-source MongoDB GUI. At present, 3T Software Labs is working on Robo 3T alongside Studio 3T, its own MongoDB GUI. Robo 3T integrates the mongo shell into its user interface, allowing for both shell and MongoDB GUI interaction.
In comparison to the simulated MongoDB shell, the Embedded MongoDB shell has more features. This is due to the fact that, unlike simulated shells, the embedded shell interfaces directly with MongoDB.
- Shell support: Having been embedded in the original mongo shell, it allows users to work with shell commands that are intrinsic to MongoDB’s command line.
- Multiple Viewing: The query interface presents data in three different ways: tree view, table view, and text view. You may also store your queries and come back to them later.
It is most commonly free to use MongoDB GUI software.
5. MongoDB Compass
It is a great MongoDB GUI tool from the MongoDB creators. It offers you a graphical representation of your MongoDB database without requiring you to understand query languages. There is no need to type a command line.
It also analyses documents and presents complex structures inside this user-friendly interface. You can use an editor to create JSON Schema validation rules, which will recommend BSON data types and validation keywords as you type.
- Visual editor for CRUD: There is no need to enter queries while doing CRUD activities in the UI. You only need to double-click to edit any cell value and type while in Table View or click on the Edit button while in Tree or JSON View.
- Geospatial data: Its straightforward UI enables the creation of queries on map data, with returned results in graph and JSON document formats.
- API: You can employ API for adding plugins capable of generating data for testing and inspecting database users. You may create your own utilizing their plugin template for any additional functionality.
It is another free MongoDB GUI available for commercial use today.
6. NoSQL Manager
NoSQL Manager is a MongoDB GUI tool that combines shell functionality with a user-friendly interface. MongoDB Enterprise, MongoDB on Azure Cosmos DB, and Amazon DocumentDB are all supported by the NoSQL manager, making it simple to explore, read, and change documents, as well as set limitations for enhanced performance. You can use this graphical user interface to efficiently manage collections, users, roles, and functions.
- Query creation: NoSQL Manager has two features for query creation: it embeds the genuine mongo shell with auto-completion, syntax highlighting, and tips, and it has a built-in query builder. Within its Document Viewer, it also has a query bar with auto-completion. Both, of course, need a basic understanding of mongo shell syntax. Autocompletion helps you manage MongoDB by autocompleting items like collection names and methods in MongoDB Shell commands, removing a lot of the guesswork.
- Support with replica set: Replica Sets are made up of a variety of mongod instances, each with a single master node and a number of slave nodes. The modifications made to the master node are automatically copied to the slave nodes, ensuring that the identical data is preserved across all servers. During the time of a failover or recovery process, the election mechanism chooses the new master node.
It has two different license plans:
- Single business license: here software is licensed per user.
- Site business license: here software is allowed to be used without limitation on the count of installations and users within one organization.
DronaHQ is a web-based internal tool builder with a low code interface that helps in creating internal tools such as Admin Panels, GUIs, custom apps, and Dashboards. With this MongoDB GUI tool, users can create fully-featured MongoDB GUIs using pre-built UI controls and a WYSIWYG UI editor. With this, you can perform CRUD operations seamlessly.
- Visual Builder: It comes with easy to learn visual builder that offers charts, table grids, lists, detailed views, buttons, form fields, and custom UI control.
- Visual Query Builder: It provides GUI based query builder to query SQL or NoSQL Databases for providing server-side filtering using MongoDB GUI.
- Role-based Access: It allows you to share apps and tools with other users by granting role-based access permissions to control who has view rights, edit rights, delete permissions, etc.
DronaHQ pricing offers a free trial and comes with a starter plan of $50 per month and $500 per month for a Business plan.
TablePlus is a widely used MongoDB GUI tool and on-premise Database management client that supports various types of Databases such as MySQL, MariaDB, NoSQL Database, MongoDB, Cassandra, etc.
- Secure: TablePlus offers high-grade end-to-end encryption for secure connection and provides user privacy.
- Quick Interface: With the help of TablePlus, users can edit data in the table with a single click which helps in saving time.
- Customizable UI: Users can easily customize the appearance as well as configurations of TablePlus as it provides a highly customizable UI for MongoDB GUI.
TablePlus pricing includes a free trial and paid plan of $69 and $99 per license for single and 2 computers.
As your business begins to grow, data is generated at an exponential rate across all of your company’s SaaS applications, Databases, and other sources. To meet this growing storage and computing needs of data, you would require to invest a portion of your engineering bandwidth to Integrate data from all sources, Clean & Transform it, and finally load it to a Cloud Data Warehouse for further Business Analytics. All of these challenges can be efficiently handled by a Cloud-Based ETL tool such as Hevo Data.Visit our Website to Explore Hevo
Hevo Data, a No-code Data Pipeline provides you with a consistent and reliable solution to manage data transfer between a variety of sources like MongoDB and a wide variety of Desired Destinations, with a few clicks. Hevo Data with its strong integration with 150+ sources (including 40+ free sources) allows you to not only export data from your desired data sources & load it to the destination of your choice, but also transform & enrich your data to make it analysis-ready so that you can focus on your key business needs and perform insightful analysis using BI tools.
Want to take Hevo for a spin? Sign Up for a 14-day free trial and experience the feature-rich Hevo suite firsthand. You can also have a look at the unbeatable pricing that will help you choose the right plan for your business needs.
Share with us your experience of learning about the best MongoDB GUIs in the comments below!