As the volume of data being collected by businesses today increases, the need for tools that can help manage this data also increases. The primary requirement of most businesses for managing data is a tool that can seamlessly replicate the high volume of data that has been collected from numerous sources. This replication is important as it can help ensure that the data is available at all times and not too much load is put on a single Database Server.
There are a diverse set of data replication tools available in the market that can be used by businesses to replicate data. This article will provide you with an in-depth understanding of the various Oracle Replication tools available in the market.
Table of Contents
What is Oracle?
Oracle is a Relational Database Management System (RDBMS) from Oracle Corporation. Oracle’s Relational Database Management System (RDBMS) is a multi-model system, that was primarily designed for Data Warehousing and Enterprise Grid Computing. It is now the database of choice for almost all Enterprises due to its cost-effective solution for data management. Oracle houses support for Structured Query Language (SQL), allowing users to easily interact with the database.
Oracle offers five different editions of its RDBMS from which users can choose based on their business and data requirements. These editions are as follows:
- Express Edition: This is an entry-level edition that is available free of cost for everyone to download, install, manage, develop, deploy, etc.
- Standard Edition One: This edition is considered to be suitable for business applications that require a single-server or are highly branched but require limited features.
- Standard Edition: In addition to all features in Standard Edition One, the Standard Edition houses support for Oracle Real Application Clustering Service and larger machines.
- Enterprise Edition: The Enterprise Edition offers numerous advanced features such as improved performance, advanced security, availability, and scalability. These features are required for most critical applications and business processes in which online transaction processing is involved.
- Personal Edition: Except for Oracle Real Application Clustering, the Personal Edition houses all features of the Enterprise Edition.
The Key Features of Oracle
The key features of Oracle are as follows:
- Client/Server Architecture: Oracle is based on Distributed Systems that have the same degree of data consistency and transparency as any Non-distributed Systems along with all advantages of a local Database Management System. Oracle takes full advantage of this distributed architecture by implementing a Client/Server Model. Hence, Oracle allows processing to be split into Client and Server application programs.
- Portability: Oracle can easily be ported to work on a wide variety of Operating Systems. Hence, any application developed using Oracle can be ported to any other Operating System as per requirements without making any changes to it.
- Scalability and Performance: Oracle houses numerous features like advanced Portability and Real Application Clustering that make it highly scalable. It also gives users the ability to tune the performance of their database as per requirements, allowing it to retrieve and alter data faster, thereby improving query execution time along with application operations.
- Availability: All real-time applications now require high Data Availability. Since Oracle is built on high-performing computing environments, it can be configured easily to ensure all-time Data Availability. This ensures that the data is accessible during planned, unplanned failures or downtimes.
- Backup and Recovery: Oracle houses robust recovery features that enable users to recover data from almost all kinds of database failures. In case of a failure, the database is recovered in no time, thereby ensuring high availability. Also, the unaffected parts of the database are still available even while the affected ones are getting recovered.
- Security: Oracle is considered to be the database of choice for most Enterprises and hence, stores a lot of sensitive information. The security of this data is always the top priority for obvious reasons. Oracle houses advanced in-built mechanisms that can be used to control and monitor data access and usage. It can be used to implement strong authorization policies that can help prevent unauthorized access to the data and only allow distinct access to the users as per requirements.
- Database Integrity: Oracle can ensure the consistency of all the data stored by enforcing Data Integrity. This saves a lot of engineering resources that would have been otherwise utilized in managing integrity checks.
- Concurrent Processing: Oracle allows a large number of users to execute a variety of applications concurrently.
What is Data Replication?
Data Replication can be defined as the process of making copies of data and storing them on databases across different locations in order to improve their overall accessibility and performance. In simple terms, it can be said that it is the process of copying data stored in a database from one Server to another, ensuring high availability so that all the users can access the same data without facing any consistency issues or putting too much data load on a single Server.
This results in the formation of a Distributed Database setup in which users can access data relevant to their requirements seamlessly. The replicated database is updated and synchronized with the source on a regular basis to ensure that the data is consistent across all its replications.
As the ability of businesses to collect data explodes, data teams have a crucial role to play in fueling data-driven decisions. Yet, they struggle to consolidate the data scattered across sources into their warehouse to build a single source of truth. Broken pipelines, data quality issues, bugs and errors, and lack of control and visibility over the data flow make data integration a nightmare.
1000+ data teams rely on Hevo’s Data Pipeline Platform to integrate data from over 150+ sources in a matter of minutes. Billions of data events from sources as varied as SaaS apps, Databases, File Storage and Streaming sources can be replicated in near real-time with Hevo’s fault-tolerant architecture. What’s more – Hevo puts complete control in the hands of data teams with intuitive dashboards for pipeline monitoring, auto-schema management, and custom ingestion/loading schedules.
All of this combined with transparent pricing and 24×7 support makes us the most loved data pipeline software on review sites.
Get started for Free with Hevo
The Benefits of Data Replication
The key benefits of implementing Data Replication are as follows:
- Improved Data Availability: Data Replication improves the reliability and resilience of databases by storing the same data across multiple Nodes in the network. This means that if one Node goes down due to glitches or for maintenance, the data stored in it can still be accessed from a different Node.
- Increase in Data Access Speed: If a lot of users are trying to access the data stored on a single database, users might face some latency due to the high load on the database. Another situation in which users might face high latency would be when they’re trying to access data stored in a single database from different parts of the world. If the data has been replicated on their user’s local Servers, the issue of high latency would be resolved.
- Improved Server Performance: Data Replication significantly improves the performance of the Server by dispersing its load across various Nodes, thereby improving the overall network performance.
- Data Recovery: Data Replication facilitates recovery of corrupted or lost data by maintaining accurate backups across numerous well-monitored locations.
Some of the best Oracle Replication Tools available in the market are as follows:
The top 5 Oracle Replication Tools are as follows:
1) Oracle Replication Tools: Hevo Data
Hevo Data, a No-code Data Pipeline reliably replicates data from any data source with zero maintenance. You can get started with Hevo’s 14-day Free Trial and instantly move data from 150+ pre-built integrations comprising a wide range of SaaS apps and databases. What’s more – our 24X7 customer support will help you unblock any pipeline issues in real-time.
Get started for Free with Hevo
Setting up data pipelines with Hevo is a simple 3-step process by just selecting the data source, providing valid credentials, and choosing the destination.
With Hevo, fuel your analytics by not just loading data into Warehouse but also enriching it with in-built no-code transformations. Its fault-tolerant architecture ensures that the data is handled in a secure, consistent manner with zero data loss.
Check out what makes Hevo amazing:
- Near Real-Time Replication: Get access to near real-time replication on All Plans. Near Real-time via pipeline prioritization for Database Sources. For SaaS Sources, near real-time replication depend on API call limits.
- In-built Transformations: Format your data on the fly with Hevo’s preload transformations using either the drag-and-drop interface or our nifty python interface. Generate analysis-ready data in your warehouse using Hevo’s Postload Transformation.
- Monitoring and Observability: Monitor pipeline health with intuitive dashboards that reveal every stat of pipeline and data flow. Bring real-time visibility into your ETL with Alerts and Activity Logs.
- Reliability at Scale: With Hevo, you get a world-class fault-tolerant architecture that scales with zero data loss and low latency.
Hevo provides Transparent Pricing to bring complete visibility to your ETL spend.
Hevo Data Pricing
Stay in control with spend alerts and configurable credit limits for unforeseen spikes in the data flow. Simplify your Data Analysis with Hevo today!
Sign up here for a 14-Day Free Trial!
2) Oracle Replication Tools: Carbonite Availability
Carbonite Availability ensures that crucial systems of any business are accessible to all necessary users and applications that depend on them at all times. Carbonite Replication Software mirrors all Physical, Virtual, or Cloud workloads to a secondary target. All users are re-routed to this secondary target in case there is an interruption or failure at the source. Carbonite Availability software keeps all critical business systems available at all times and prevents data loss on Linux and Windows Servers. It houses a continuous replication technology, that is capable of maintaining an up-to-date copy of the operating business environment without putting too much load on the primary system or network bandwidth.
Some of the key features of Carbonite Availability are as follows:
- Continuous Data Replication.
- Recovery times of minutes for failures.
- Supports Data Replication between disparate Physical, Virtual, and Cloud-based Systems.
- Establishes multiple recovery points by maintaining historical snapshots.
- Houses advanced features like encryption in-flight, compression, and bandwidth throttling.
- Robust APIs and SDKs that enable easy automation and integration.
Carbonite Availability Pricing
Carbonite does not follow a transparent pricing model for its Data Replication offering and the final price depends on the requirements and infrastructure.
More information on Carbonite can be found here.
Download the Guide to Evaluate ETL Tools
Learn the 10 key parameters while selecting the right ETL tool for your use case.
3) Oracle Replication Tools: Quest Shareplex
Quest Shareplex is a popular Oracle Database Replication software that can ensure high Availability, Scalability, and Reporting. With Quest SharePlex, users can replicate Oracle data to another Oracle Database, or in SQL Server, or Kafka.
The key features of Quest Shareplex are as follows:
- Simplicity: Users can seamlessly install and use Quest SharePlex in minutes. It can then be used to easily execute near-real-time Data Replication and ensure scalability and high availability. Quest SharePlex also builds the target database automatically, eliminating the need for users to have deep expertise and perform various tasks manually.
- Data Accuracy: Quest Shareplex avoids any data loss while replicating using its built-in monitoring, data comparison, conﬂict resolution, and synchronization mechanisms.
- Quality Support: All Quest Shareplex subscriptions come with one year of free business-critical support. A good quality customer service is provided to all users by highly skilled support engineers who have years of Quest SharePlex experience, and hence, all issues are resolved immediately, saving a lot of time.
Quest Shareplex Pricing
Quest Shareplex does not follow a transparent pricing model and the final price depends on your business and data requirements which can be finalized after a discussion with the Sales team at Quest.
More information on Quest Shareplex can be found here.
4) Oracle Replication Tools: Oracle GoldenGate
Oracle GoldenGate is a product by Oracle that gives businesses the ability to replicate, filter, and transform data from one Oracle database to another supported heterogeneous database. Oracle GoldenGate is capable of replicating data 6 times faster than other traditional data movement solutions and ensures high availability, disaster recovery, and zero downtime migrations.
The key features of using Oracle GoldenGate are as follows:
- All movement of data takes place in real-time and with significantly reduced latency.
- Ensures consistency and improved performance by only replicating committed transactions only.
- A wide variety of Oracle database versions are supported, along with numerous heterogeneous databases that are running on different Operating Systems.
- It uses a simple architecture that is easy to configure.
- It provides high performance and puts minimal load on the underlying databases and infrastructure.
Oracle GoldenGate Pricing
The pricing for Oracle GoldenGate is based on the type of usage as well as the actual requirement. With a wide range of pricing plans, Golden Gate pricing starts at $350 per user license with an additional cost of $77 for the software update, license, and support.
5) Oracle Replication Tools: IBM InfoSphere Change Data Capture
IBM InfoSphere Change Data Capture, also referred to as InfoSphere CDC is IBM’s Data Replication solution that is capable of capturing database changes as they happen and replicate those changes in target databases accordingly.
IBM InfoSphere CDC provides its users with low impact change capture and fast delivery of all data changes for key information management initiatives such as Dynamic Data Warehousing, Application Consolidations or Migrations, Master Data Management, Operational Business Intelligence, etc. IBM InfoSphere CDC also helps reduce processing overheads and network traffic significantly by only sending the data that has changed instead of repeatedly making a full data copy. The Data Replication using IBM InfoSphere CDC can be carried out continuously or periodically.
The key features of IBM InfoSphere CDC are as follows:
- Continuous Availability: It ensures high availability for transactional data stores that are used more frequently than others. It also houses support for disaster recovery and cross-site workload balancing.
- Programming-free Data Integration: IBM InfoSphere Data Replication can be used to set up integrated systems that are updated immediately as and when changes occur. This eliminates redundant data transfer and also minimizes the impact on all production systems.
- Multi-source, Target, and Replication Topology Support: IBM InfoSphere Data Replication possess capabilities that can load real-time information into an Operational Data Store or a Data Warehouse that can help organizations enhance business agility and visibility for key processes significantly.
- User Interface and APIs to Monitor and Manage: IBM InfoSphere CDC Replication Management Console houses a rich client interface that provides Access Control, Operation, Configuration, and Monitoring. The same access is also available through a Command-line Interface.
- Log-based Change Data Capture: IBM InfoSphere Data Replication software reads the native database log to capture changes instead of using triggers or running queries on the database. The Log-based Change Data Capture Approach can ensure that the performance of even some of the most demanding mission-critical applications does not get affected adversely.
IBM InfoSphere Change Data Capture Pricing
IBM does not follow a transparent pricing model for its InfoSphere Change Data Capture. The price can be finalized after a discussion with the Sales team at IBM based on data and business requirements
This article provided you with an understanding of Data Replication along with a list of the best Oracle Replication Tools available in the market.
Although there are a wide variety of Data Replication tools available in the market, most of them are considered to be hard to understand and implement for someone with not enough technical knowledge of database systems. Hence, businesses should consider using automated platforms like Hevo.
Learn more about Hevo’s integration with Oracle
Hevo Data helps you seamlessly Replicate Data from Oracle and 150+ Sources to a Data Warehouse of your choice and visualize it in a BI tool like Power BI, Tableau, etc., fully automated and secure manner without having to write any code!. It will make your life easier and make data migration hassle-free. It is User-Friendly, Reliable, and Secure.
Want to take Hevo for a spin? Sign up for a 14-day free trial and experience the feature-rich Hevo suite first hand. You can also have a look at the unbeatable pricing that will help you choose the right plan for your business needs.