As the volume of data being collected by businesses today increases, the need for tools that can help manage this data also increases. The primary requirement of most businesses for managing data is a tool that can seamlessly replicate the high volume of data that has been collected from numerous sources. This replication is important as it can help ensure that the data is available at all times and not too much load is put on a single Database Server.
There are a diverse set of tools available in the market that can be used by businesses to replicate data. However, these tools should have functionalities that enable them to integrate with your database. One of the most widely used databases that is leveraged by almost all Enterprises is Oracle. This article will provide you with an in-depth understanding of the various Oracle Replication tools available in the market.
Table of Contents
- Introduction to Oracle
- Understanding the Key Features of Oracle
- Introduction to Data Replication
- Understanding the Benefits of Data Replication
- Top 5 Oracle Replication Tools
Introduction to Oracle
Oracle is a Relational Database Management System (RDBMS) from Oracle Corporation. Oracle’s Relational Database Management System (RDBMS) is a multi-model system, that was primarily designed for Data Warehousing and Enterprise Grid Computing. It is now the database of choice for almost all Enterprises due to its cost-effective solution for data management. Oracle houses support for Structured Query Language (SQL), allowing users to easily interact with the database.
Oracle offers five different editions of its RDBMS from which users can choose based on their business and data requirements. These editions are as follows:
- Express Edition: This is an entry-level edition that is available free of cost for everyone to download, install, manage, develop, deploy, etc.
- Standard Edition One: This edition is considered to be suitable for business applications that require a single-server or are highly branched but require limited features.
- Standard Edition: In addition to all features in Standard Edition One, the Standard Edition houses support for Oracle Real Application Clustering Service and larger machines.
- Enterprise Edition: The Enterprise Edition offers numerous advanced features such as improved performance, advanced security, availability, and scalability. These features are required for most critical applications and business processes in which online transaction processing is involved.
- Personal Edition: Except for Oracle Real Application Clustering, the Personal Edition houses all features of the Enterprise Edition.
Understanding the Key Features of Oracle
The key features of Oracle are as follows:
- Client/Server Architecture: Oracle is based on Distributed Systems that have the same degree of data consistency and transparency as any Non-distributed Systems along with all advantages of a local Database Management System. Oracle takes full advantage of this distributed architecture by implementing a Client/Server Model. Hence, Oracle allows processing to be split into Client and Server application programs.
- Portability: Oracle can easily be ported to work on a wide variety of Operating Systems. Hence, any application developed using Oracle can be ported to any other Operating System as per requirements without making any changes to it.
- Scalability and Performance: Oracle houses numerous features like advanced Portability and Real Application Clustering that make it highly scalable. It also gives users the ability to tune the performance of their database as per requirements, allowing it to retrieve and alter data faster, thereby improving query execution time along with application operations.
- Availability: All real-time applications now require high Data Availability. Since Oracle is built on high-performing computing environments, it can be configured easily to ensure all-time Data Availability. This ensures that the data is accessible during planned, unplanned failures or downtimes.
- Backup and Recovery: Oracle houses robust recovery features that enable users to recover data from almost all kinds of database failures. In case of a failure, the database is recovered in no time, thereby ensuring high availability. Also, the unaffected parts of the database are still available even while the affected ones are getting recovered.
- Security: Oracle is considered to be the database of choice for most Enterprises and hence, stores a lot of sensitive information. The security of this data is always the top priority for obvious reasons. Oracle houses advanced in-built mechanisms that can be used to control and monitor data access and usage. It can be used to implement strong authorization policies that can help prevent unauthorized access to the data and only allow distinct access to the users as per requirements.
- Database Integrity: Oracle can ensure the consistency of all the data stored by enforcing Data Integrity. This saves a lot of engineering resources that would have been otherwise utilized in managing integrity checks.
- Concurrent Processing: Oracle allows a large number of users to execute a variety of applications concurrently.
Introduction to Data Replication
Data Replication can be defined as the process of making copies of data and storing them on databases across different locations in order to improve their overall accessibility and performance. In simple terms, it can be said that it is the process of copying data stored in a database from one Server to another, ensuring high availability so that all the users can access the same data without facing any consistency issues or putting too much data load on a single Server.
This results in the formation of a Distributed Database setup in which users can access data relevant to their requirements seamlessly. The replicated database is updated and synchronized with the source on a regular basis to ensure that the data is consistent across all its replications.
Best Oracle Replication Tools
Some of the best Oracle Replication Tools available in the market are as follows:
Understanding the Benefits of Data Replication
The key benefits of implementing Data Replication are as follows:
- Improved Data Availability: Data Replication improves the reliability and resilience of databases by storing the same data across multiple Nodes in the network. This means that if one Node goes down due to glitches or for maintenance, the data stored in it can still be accessed from a different Node.
- Increase in Data Access Speed: If a lot of users are trying to access the data stored on a single database, users might face some latency due to the high load on the database. Another situation in which users might face high latency would be when they’re trying to access data stored in a single database from different parts of the world. If the data has been replicated on their user’s local Servers, the issue of high latency would be resolved.
- Improved Server Performance: Data Replication significantly improves the performance of the Server by dispersing its load across various Nodes, thereby improving the overall network performance.
- Data Recovery: Data Replication facilitates recovery of corrupted or lost data by maintaining accurate backups across numerous well-monitored locations.
Top 5 Oracle Replication Tools
The top 5 Oracle Replication Tools are as follows:
- Oracle Replication Tools: Hevo Data
- Oracle Replication Tools: Carbonite Availability
- Oracle Replication Tools: Quest Shareplex
- Oracle Replication Tools: Oracle GoldenGate
- Oracle Replication Tools: IBM InfoSphere Change Data Capture
1) Oracle Replication Tools: Hevo Data
Hevo is a No-code Data Pipeline that offers a fully-managed solution to set up data integration and replication from 100+ data sources including Oracle and will let you directly load data to a Data Warehouse or the destination of your choice. It will automate your data flow in minutes without writing any line of code. Its fault-tolerant architecture makes sure that your data is secure and consistent. Hevo provides you with a truly efficient and fully-automated solution to manage data in real-time and always have analysis-ready data.Get Started with Hevo for Free
Let’s Look at Some Salient Features of Hevo:
- Fully Managed: It requires no management and maintenance as Hevo is a fully automated platform.
- Data Transformation: It provides a simple interface to perfect, modify, and enrich the data you want to transfer.
- Real-Time: Hevo offers real-time data migration. So, your data is always ready for analysis.
- Schema Management: Hevo can automatically detect the schema of the incoming data and maps it to the destination schema.
- Live Monitoring: Advanced monitoring gives you a one-stop view to watch all the activities that occur within pipelines.
- Live Support: Hevo team is available round the clock to extend exceptional support to its customers through chat, email, and support calls.
Hevo Data Pricing
Hevo Data offers 2 tiers i.e. Starter and Business along with its free tier. An in-depth comparison of the features offered in each tier is as follows:
The pricing for the Starter pack starts at $299/month and goes up to $1,249/month. This pricing is based on the number of events taking place, and the user can choose a plan as per requirements.
The Business pack is a custom plan that is created specifically for the requirements of a business. Users can schedule a call with the Hevo team to get more information on this custom pricing.
2) Oracle Replication Tools: Carbonite Availability
Carbonite Availability ensures that crucial systems of any business are accessible to all necessary users and applications that depend on them at all times. Carbonite Replication Software mirrors all Physical, Virtual, or Cloud workloads to a secondary target. All users are re-routed to this secondary target in case there is an interruption or failure at the source. Carbonite Availability software keeps all critical business systems available at all times and prevents data loss on Linux and Windows Servers. It houses a continuous replication technology, that is capable of maintaining an up-to-date copy of the operating business environment without putting too much load on the primary system or network bandwidth.
Some of the key features of Carbonite Availability are as follows:
- Continuous Data Replication.
- Recovery times of minutes for failures.
- Supports Data Replication between disparate Physical, Virtual, and Cloud-based Systems.
- Establishes multiple recovery points by maintaining historical snapshots.
- Houses advanced features like encryption in-flight, compression, and bandwidth throttling.
- Robust APIs and SDKs that enable easy automation and integration.
Carbonite Availability Pricing
Carbonite does not follow a transparent pricing model for its Data Replication offering and the final price depends on the requirements and infrastructure.
More information on Carbonite can be found here.
3) Oracle Replication Tools: Quest Shareplex
Quest Shareplex is a popular Oracle Database Replication software that can ensure high Availability, Scalability, and Reporting. With Quest SharePlex, users can replicate Oracle data to another Oracle Database, or in SQL Server, or Kafka.
The key features of Quest Shareplex are as follows:
- Simplicity: Users can seamlessly install and use Quest SharePlex in minutes. It can then be used to easily execute near-real-time Data Replication and ensure scalability and high availability. Quest SharePlex also builds the target database automatically, eliminating the need for users to have deep expertise and perform various tasks manually.
- Data Accuracy: Quest Shareplex avoids any data loss while replicating using its built-in monitoring, data comparison, conﬂict resolution, and synchronization mechanisms.
- Quality Support: All Quest Shareplex subscriptions come with one year of free business-critical support. A good quality customer service is provided to all users by highly skilled support engineers who have years of Quest SharePlex experience, and hence, all issues are resolved immediately, saving a lot of time.
Quest Shareplex Pricing
Quest Shareplex does not follow a transparent pricing model and the final price depends on your business and data requirements which can be finalized after a discussion with the Sales team at Quest.
More information on Quest Shareplex can be found here.
4) Oracle Replication Tools: Oracle GoldenGate
Oracle GoldenGate is a product by Oracle that gives businesses the ability to replicate, filter, and transform data from one Oracle database to another supported heterogeneous database. Oracle GoldenGate is capable of replicating data 6 times faster than other traditional data movement solutions and ensures high availability, disaster recovery, and zero downtime migrations.
The key features of using Oracle GoldenGate are as follows:
- All movement of data takes place in real-time and with significantly reduced latency.
- Ensures consistency and improved performance by only replicating committed transactions only.
- A wide variety of Oracle database versions are supported, along with numerous heterogeneous databases that are running on different Operating Systems.
- It uses a simple architecture that is easy to configure.
- It provides high performance and puts minimal load on the underlying databases and infrastructure.
Oracle GoldenGate Pricing
The pricing for Oracle GoldenGate is as follows:
5) Oracle Replication Tools: IBM InfoSphere Change Data Capture
IBM InfoSphere Change Data Capture, also referred to as InfoSphere CDC is IBM’s Data Replication solution that is capable of capturing database changes as they happen and replicate those changes in target databases accordingly.
IBM InfoSphere CDC provides its users with low impact change capture and fast delivery of all data changes for key information management initiatives such as Dynamic Data Warehousing, Application Consolidations or Migrations, Master Data Management, Operational Business Intelligence, etc. IBM InfoSphere CDC also helps reduce processing overheads and network traffic significantly by only sending the data that has changed instead of repeatedly making a full data copy. The Data Replication using IBM InfoSphere CDC can be carried out continuously or periodically.
The key features of IBM InfoSphere CDC are as follows:
- Continuous Availability: It ensures high availability for transactional data stores that are used more frequently than others. It also houses support for disaster recovery and cross-site workload balancing.
- Programming-free Data Integration: IBM InfoSphere Data Replication can be used to set up integrated systems that are updated immediately as and when changes occur. This eliminates redundant data transfer and also minimizes the impact on all production systems.
- Multi-source, Target, and Replication Topology Support: IBM InfoSphere Data Replication possess capabilities that can load real-time information into an Operational Data Store or a Data Warehouse that can help organizations enhance business agility and visibility for key processes significantly.
- User Interface and APIs to Monitor and Manage: IBM InfoSphere CDC Replication Management Console houses a rich client interface that provides Access Control, Operation, Configuration, and Monitoring. The same access is also available through a Command-line Interface.
- Log-based Change Data Capture: IBM InfoSphere Data Replication software reads the native database log to capture changes instead of using triggers or running queries on the database. The Log-based Change Data Capture Approach can ensure that the performance of even some of the most demanding mission-critical applications does not get affected adversely.
IBM InfoSphere Change Data Capture Pricing
IBM does not follow a transparent pricing model for its InfoSphere Change Data Capture. The price can be finalized after a discussion with the Sales team at IBM based on data and business requirements
This article provided you with an understanding of Data Replication along with a list of the best Oracle Replication Tools available in the market.
Although there are a wide variety of Data Replication tools available in the market, most of them are considered to be hard to understand and implement for someone with not enough technical knowledge of database systems. Hence, businesses should consider using automated platforms like Hevo.Visit our Website to Explore Hevo
Hevo helps you directly transfer data from a source of your choice to a Data Warehouse, Business Intelligence tools such as Tableau, etc., or desired destination in a fully automated and secure manner without having to write the code. It will make your life easier and make data migration hassle-free. It is User-Friendly, Reliable, and Secure.
Give Hevo a try by signing up for a 14-day free trial today.