Magento is an eCommerce platform for various clients to deploy their eCommerce website on Magento’s platform. Magento provides various perks and advantages for the client’s to give their customers a seamless shopping experience.
In this post, you will know various ways to move the data from Magento to MySQL Database. Here is a brief outline of the blog:
Table of Contents
- What is Magento?
- What is MySQL?
- Prerequisites for Magento to MySQL Data Transfer
- Methods to Retrieve Data from Magento and Push to MySQL
- Limitations of the Manual Approach
What is Magento?
It is the only platform that gives you the power to create unique and engaging shopping experiences. Enjoy rich, unique out-of-the-box features, an unlimited ability to customize, a very flexible headless architecture, and seamless third-party integrations. Magento’ eCommerce platform is known for the global ecosystem of implementation of third party vendors, and a vast marketplace of extensions.
What is MySQL?
MySQL is available for free and an open-source tool based on a relational database management system (RDMS) that uses the structured query language (SQL). SQL is a language that is used to manipulate and store the data into a database, It is a popular tool that is used extensively in various applications for storage and retrieval of data.
Prerequisites for Magento to MySQL Data Transfer
- MySQL Server needs to be installed and a Database needs to be created with an appropriate name. You can follow the tutorial here to set it up.
- Python has to be installed and set up in the system as the blog uses Python to manually shift data from Magento to MySQL. Python Installation steps can be found here.
- The user needs to have an account set up in Magento connected to one of your services, from which the data will be retrieved. More information related to Magento can be found here.
Methods to Retrieve Data from Magento and Push to MySQL
This article will discuss two methods to retrieve data from Magento and push it to MySQL.
Use HEVO’s no code data pipeline platform, which specifically has the requirements needed to automatically shift data from Magento to MySQL.
Create your own custom python script to retrieve the data from the Magento and push it to MySQL.
Hevo, A Simpler Alternative to Integrate your Data for Analysis
Hevo offers a faster way to move data from databases or SaaS applications into your data warehouse to be visualized in a BI tool. Hevo is fully automated and hence does not require you to code.Get Started with Hevo for Free
Check out some of the cool features of Hevo:
- Completely Automated: The Hevo platform can be set up in just a few minutes and requires minimal maintenance.
- Real-time Data Transfer: Hevo provides real-time data migration, so you can have analysis-ready data always.
- 100% Complete & Accurate Data Transfer: Hevo’s robust infrastructure ensures reliable data transfer with zero data loss.
- Scalable Infrastructure: Hevo has in-built integrations for 100+ sources that can help you scale your data infrastructure as required.
- 24/7 Live Support: The Hevo team is available round the clock to extend exceptional support to you through chat, email, and support calls.
- Schema Management: Hevo takes away the tedious task of schema management & automatically detects the schema of incoming data and maps it to the destination schema.
- Live Monitoring: Hevo allows you to monitor the data flow so you can check where your data is at a particular point in time.
Method 1: Steps to Stage Data from Magento to MySQL Manually
Prerequisites for this method
- If token-based authentication is being used, then create a web services user on Magento Admin by selecting System > Permission > All Users > Add New User (If you are using session-based or OAuth authentication, any new user may not need to be created in the Admin).
- Create a new integration on Magento Admin. To create an integration, click System > Extensions > Integration > Add New Integration**. Be sure to restrict which resources can be accessed by the integration.
- REST or SOAP clients can be used to configure authentication. The guide to getting the workflow started can be found here
- A MySQL Database has to be set up in your local system, for example, the guide on setting up MySQL can be found here.
Once the Prerequisites are met, the following steps have to be taken to complete the transfer of data from Magento to MySQL DB.
- Connect to Magento API.
- Read the data from the Magento platform.
- Use the JSON data configured via the XML file.
- Push the data values to MySQL corresponding table DB.
Example of the Response Data from the Magento API: –
Method 2: Steps to Load Data from Magento to MySQL using Hevo
With Hevo, bringing data from Magento to MySQL database becomes a cakewalk. Here are the steps:
- Connect your Magento account to Hevo’s platform. Hevo has an in-built Magento integration that connects to your account within minutes.
- Select MySQL as your destination integration and start transferring data.
Hevo takes care of automatically mapping all your data to relevant tables in the MySQL table, giving you access to consumption-ready Magento data in real-time.
Limitations of the Manual Approach
- Effort intensive: Using custom code to move data from Magento to MySQL database requires you to learn and bring together many different technologies. Given the learning curve involved, your data projects’ timelines can be affected.
- Not real-time: The process mentioned above does not assist you in bringing the data in real-time. You would have to develop a cron job and write extra code to transfer the data in real-time and also will need to configure multiple files.
- No data transformation: At times, you would encounter use cases where you need to standardize time zones in order to perform efficient analytics. The mentioned approach does not cover that.
- Constant monitoring & maintenance: In case there are some changes in the API at Magento’s end, it will result in irretrievable data loss. Hence, this approach requires constant monitoring and maintenance of the systems involved.
MySQL is a great RDBMS that is very versatile and can be used to aggregate structured data and derives useful insights and Magento is a great platform to get set up with an eCommerce platform with industry-standard tools.
Depending on the particular use case and data requirement, you may choose to replicate data from Magento to MySQL using one of the approaches detailed in this article. You may build a custom code-based data pipeline to transfer data from Magento to MySQL.Visit our Website to Explore Hevo
You can Sign Up for a 14-day free trial of Hevo.
Share your thoughts on moving data from Magento to MySQL in the comments below!