Matillion is a cloud-native, easy-to-use data transformation and data integration platform. It can convert raw data from various pre-built connectors into analytics-ready, actionable data for valuable insights and better decision-making. Despite Matillion’s advantages, it is always prudent to evaluate different solutions on the basis of several factors before choosing one that meets your needs.
In this article, we’ll take you through the 10 best Matillion Alternatives in the marketplace you can consider for a robust, secure, and efficient data integration tool.
Table of Contents
What is Matillion?
Matillion is a Cloud-based ETL tool that allows teams to easily transform data and create data pipelines without writing any code. Matillion leverages the flexibility of your Delta Lake or Data Warehouse to draw meaningful insights from your data.
You can maximize performance via its native push-down integration for the prime cloud data platforms. Matillion also allows you to prepare your data for consumption by major BI tools. With Matillion, you can easily optimize resource consumption with independent scaling of storage and compute facilities.
You can learn about Matillion pricing here.
What is Matillion suitable for?
Matillion offers powerful, simple, easy-to-use ETL and data integration workflows that can boost your company’s data journey. It comes with an extensive list of pre-built data source connectors for cloud and on-premise databases, documents, SaaS applications, NoSQL sources to name a few.
On the security front, Matillion products are cloud-native and are deployed as a virtual image, allowing you to adhere to your company’s security policies.
Matillion was specifically built to support cloud data warehouses like Amazon Redshift, Snowflake, Microsoft Azure Synapse, Google BigQuery, and the Delta Lake on Databricks. You can even refresh your data pipelines at intervals that best fit the needs of your business, and get alerts if your data pipeline processes fail for any reason.
Simple technical knowledge is all that is needed, along with a solid grasp of data engineering concepts. Everyone can easily understand how jobs are connected thanks to its low-code/no-code optionality, which eliminates the need for users to switch between different systems to access Connectors, Transformations, Loads, and Logging.
What are the Drawbacks of using Matillion?
- Scalability: Users might find it difficult to scale their business with Matillion. Based on the data ecosystem you have, creating these data pipelines may end up generating complex workflows. This could lead to an increase in the workload of your business staff, Matillion also has a hard limit on the EC2/harware instances it can use.
- Vendor Lock-In: With Matillion, you can only opt for monthly or annual contracts. This would make switching to another alternative a costly affair.
- Lack of Platform Training: If you need guidance to help you get started with Matillion’s platform, you’ll have to rely on demo videos on YouTube due to a lack of platform training.
- Data Transformation: Matillion deals with ETL data for its data pipelines, so if you’re scanning the market for an ELT solution, you’ll have to look elsewhere.
- Lack of On-Premise Options: While Matillion works great for teams that want to make sense of data that is present in the cloud, various vital organizations rely on hybrid cloud environments. Unfortunately, Matillion only supports SaaS and cloud data sources. Since it cannot connect to and secure on-premise data, Matillion might not be the best choice for enterprises that keep sensitive data in their own data centers.
- Narrow Customer Base: A point to note here is that Matillion’s client base is mostly enterprise customers. So, if your organization happens to be a mid-market/SMB company, you might not be the target audience for Matillion’s business model. Having said that, Matillion is a fine choice for startups, smaller teams, and companies that don’t have a lot of data or on-premise infrastructure.
Key Matillion Alternatives
1) Matillion Alternatives: Hevo
Hevo, a fully-managed Data Pipeline platform, offers seamless data replication and transformation. With Hevo, you can replicate data from a growing library of 150+ plug-and-play integrations and 15+ destinations — SaaS apps, databases, data warehouses, and much more.
Get Started with Hevo for Free
Here’s how Hevo solves the common pain points a user might face with Matillion:
- No Vendor Lock-In: With Hevo, you don’t have to worry about vendor lock-in. Flexible subscription plans give you one less thing to worry about, allowing you to focus more on deriving actionable insights from your data.
- Platform Training: Users of Hevo can request a platform demonstration by referring to Setup and Implementation-based documentation, demo videos on YouTube. You can also contact our support team that is available round the clock to extend exceptional support to its customers through chat, email, and support calls.
- Data Transformation Ability: Hevo provides support for both ELT and ETL workloads, allowing you to move the data your way! You also have granular control over your data, build custom schemas and move things that have an impact.
- Scalability: As the number of sources and the volume of your data grows, Hevo scales horizontally, handling millions of records per minute with very little latency.
Here are a few more features that Hevo brings to the table:
Using manual scripts and custom code to move data into the warehouse is cumbersome. Frequent breakages, pipeline errors and lack of data flow monitoring makes scaling such a system a nightmare. Hevo’s reliable data pipeline platform enables you to set up zero-code and zero-maintenance data pipelines that just work.
Reliability at Scale – With Hevo, you get a world-class fault-tolerant architecture that scales with zero data loss and low latency.
Monitoring and Observability – Monitor pipeline health with intuitive dashboards that reveal every stat of pipeline and data flow. Bring real-time visibility into your ELT with Alerts and Activity Logs
Stay in Total Control – When automation isn’t enough, Hevo offers flexibility – data ingestion modes, ingestion, and load frequency, JSON parsing, destination workbench, custom schema management, and much more – for you to have total control.
Auto-Schema Management – Correcting improper schema after the data is loaded into your warehouse is challenging. Hevo automatically maps source schema with destination warehouse so that you don’t face the pain of schema errors.
Transparent Pricing – Say goodbye to complex and hidden pricing models. Hevo’s Transparent Pricing brings complete visibility to your ELT spend. Choose a plan based on your business needs. Stay in control with spend alerts and configurable credit limits for unforeseen spikes in data flow.
Get started for Free with Hevo!
2) Matillion Alternatives: Stitch Data
Stitch is leveraged by many businesses to transfer massive volumes of data each day. With Stitch Data Loader, you can replicate data from various SaaS applications and databases into data warehouses and data lakes for further analysis.
You can learn about Stitch Data pricing here.
Who should use Stitch Data?
Stitch Data is suitable for small businesses who want their data and business intelligence teams to concentrate on gaining a competitive edge over data pipelines.
It is also ideal for startups who want to fully utilize the data’s insights but don’t want to spend time creating and maintaining third-party API integrations. Despite being a robust alternative to Matillion, Stitch Data has its own set of pros and cons to deal with:
- With Stitch, Relational database replication works seamlessly. It can also manage the conversion of schemas and data types, and it supports incremental replication.
- Stitch’s user interface simplifies configuration of tables to be replicated. This makes it one of the best Matillion alternatives for non-tech folks.
- Stitch is not an effective solution for replicating document stores like MongoDB to relational databases. Stitch flattens the items, to ease the complexity, but the final product is still pretty tedious to deal with.
- If you wish to duplicate some of a datastore’s tables to Redshift and others to Redshift Spectrum, Stitch is not a viable alternative. This is because it cannot replicate the same source to different sinks effectively.
3) Matillion Alternatives: Fivetran
Fivetran is a Cloud-based ETL tool that can help you transform and centralize data to extract new, rich data in minutes. It also routinely keeps up with the API changes. This allows you to analyze data immediately with automatically applied updates for tables, columns, and rows.
Fivetran’s fully managed connectors can move large volumes of data with real-time delivery and low impact. You can integrate and load data to data warehouses like Google BigQuery, Amazon Redshift, etc., using its user-friendly interface, which has a gradual learning curve.
Who should use Fivetran?
Fivetran is one of the best Matillion alternatives for any near real-time ingestion needs. Given Fivetran’s wide variety of customized connectors, it is straightforward to start working with source-to-target connectors for data loading and extraction.
Fivetran also provides over 50 prebuilt data models to support common analytical scenarios like digital marketing and finance needs.
Fivetran is the way to go when you need a rapid and straightforward method of loading data from external sources to a warehouse. Due to its limited code capabilities and internal transformations, it lacks automation and infrastructure. However, it excels at batch extraction and manages schemas for you.
- Scalable: Fivetran is a platform that scales to expand with your organization and makes it simple to manage large amounts of data.
- Integrations: Users can connect to 90+ different data sources using Fivetran’s extensive connection tools to merge their data.
- Customer Service: During business hours, Fivetran only allows users to communicate with the support teams via email and in-app messages, giving them a positive customer service experience.
- Lack of Enterprise Data Management: Fivetran lacks comprehensive data management features that are usually found in tools that are more enterprise-oriented. This includes data virtualization, auto-discovery of data semantics, data quality, and data governance capabilities.
- Limited Data Transformation Support: Fivetran depends on dbt under the hood to tackle complex transformations. These transformations can be used to normalize data into suitable data structures for analytics. Consequently, teams might get annoyed in the process of having to manage multiple tools that can’t be combined into a single tool/interface.
- Poor Data Flexibility: One of the most significant drawbacks of Fivetran is that it doesn’t allow great control over your data flows. For example, you only have the option to use fixed schemas and not define what Data you want to transfer.
4) Matillion Alternatives: SnapLogic
SnapLogic provides cloud integration technologies that enable users to link Cloud-based information and programs. It provides support for both On-premise and Cloud-based enterprise software. Even business customers with less technological expertise can access and combine data from many sources thanks to the easy-to-understand architecture.
This makes SnapLogic one of the best Matillion alternatives for newbies, given its ease of use. You can learn about SnapLogic pricing here.
Who should use SnapLogic?
SnapLogic provides comprehensive flexibility to connect against a heterogeneous systems landscape and is relatively simple to set up and maintain. But, even a dynamic solution like SnapLogic isn’t without its fair share of limitations. Here’s a quick peek at some of its primary benefits and shortcomings:
- With SnapLogic, any kind of source system is easily accessible. Any format may be used for the data.
- It is quite simple to use by anyone who is not a coder because of its appealing visual depiction of transforms.
- SnapLogic can be used either On-site or in the Cloud. This allows you to pick between security and comfort, based on your unique data needs.
- It has lately launched a community forum and offers reasonably good customer service.
- The resource utilization displayed on the dashboard is different when compared to the numbers in reality. This disconnect can be quite frustrating at times for users.
- The current way of executing unit testing within the SnapLogic framework can be improved since the manual approach isn’t efficient.
- SnapLogic provides support for Data Science with various Machine Learning Snap Packs, but the computational power is limited on SnapLogic nodes. To tackle larger data sets, elastic computing would be required which makes Machine Learning better suited for other systems.
5) Matillion Alternatives: TIBCO Software
Global software provider TIBCO offers tools for managing, monitoring, and integrating corporate applications, information delivery, and other business processes. TIBCO’s goal is to make it easier for trading partners to coordinate business processes and activities.
The unique functionality of TIBCO includes the production and maintenance of XML documents, the management of distributed systems, and the safe and secure flow of information. TIBCO Business Works, EMS, Hawk, Business Connect, etc. are a few of the company’s products.
You can learn about TIBCO Software pricing here.
Who should use TIBCO Software?
TIBCO can be used to import data from a third-party source that compiles projects and quotes from businesses throughout the industry. The CRM system can import the necessary data, which is subsequently communicated to the Management and Sales teams via reports. This makes TIBCO one of the best Matillion alternatives for CRM projects.
Additionally, you can use TIBCO to import information into your CRM from SQL databases used by HubSpot and other business systems.
- Between systems, TIBCO can reliably map or sync data. It can maintain the data in sync when several departments are using various platforms.
- Applications and businesses frequently use APIs. Tibco Cloud Integration can leverage APIs to enables businesses to combine data from an older ERP system with data from a more modern system.
- Business users, developers, and everyone in between can understand where data is traveling within their organization because of Tibco’s versatility.
- TIBCO’s adaptability allows you to carry out Data manipulation on the fly.
- It is incredibly time-consuming to create column fields every time a file changes from the source on the FTP. It might be frustrating sometimes to constantly switch back and forth while working on integrations.
- TIBCO software’s security measures aren’t noteworthy. On the customer’s end, you might need to install an On-premise agent, but you don’t want them to have any interaction with the ETL tool. Asa result, this might complicate your workflows.
- Instead of using the dataset ID, the TIBCO connector would need to reference the dataset name. If you frequently change the dataset name (to repoint the dataset), it might be frustrating to keep track of.
6) Matillion Alternatives: Denodo
Denodo is the industry leader in logical data fabric powered by data virtualization. It also offers data access, governance, and delivery capabilities across the widest spectrum of cloud, big data, and unstructured data sources. Denodo provides these features without having to transfer the data from its original repository.
Customers of Denodo from all key industries have benefited greatly in terms of business agility and ROI, courtesy of features like: real-time data delivery, easy access to all types of data, and the ability to create data marketplaces.
You can learn about Denodo pricing here.
Who should use Denodo?
With Denodo, you can easily enable cloud migrations, legacy replacement, and multi-cloud deployments with minimal cost and disruption. It also provides you with centralized control of data query executions for complete governance and security.
For large enterprises with segregated datasets, Donodo is one of the best Matillion alternatives. Since large enterprises can pay the licensing fees and are frequently entrusted with combining data from many contexts across the organization, Denodo flourishes in these environments.
- Automated Infrastructure Management: Denodo also provides an automated infrastructure management for the cloud, with Platform as a Service (PaaS) support for hybrid and cloud environments.
- Integrated ML/AI Data Catalog: Denodo’s data catalog provides various collaboration capabilities, discovery features, and personalized recommendations.
- Intuitive UI: The Denodo UI is fairly simple to use developers. You simply need to construct tables, join them to other datasets, and connect them to a data source to get started.
- Lack of Documentation and User Community: There isn’t much documentation available for Denodo since it only has a tiny group of super users.
- Cost: Denodo might not be a good choice for smaller companies because data virtualization is an expensive technology.
- Caching Strategy: You will have to rely on caching for some slower datasets, which might add to the overhead.
7) Matillion Alternatives: Airbyte
Launched in 2020, Airbyte is one of the Matillion data open-source alternatives that allow you to transfer data from a collection of sources to a Data Warehouse. With 120+ connectors, Airbyte provides you to extract, transform & load data from applications, APIs & databases to data warehouses, lakes, and several other destinations. Owing to Airbyte’s Open-source model, businesses can now support each other by building and maintaining their unique connectors.
Who should use Airbyte?
This is an excellent solution for businesses looking for better control of the data connectors required for the ETL/ELT service. The Airbyte community allows you completely bypass the ETL service provider and lets your Engineering team gain autonomy to debug at will & fix any bugs yourself. Data Engineers can use this Open-Source tool to build custom integrations using the connector development kit (CDK) that contains connector-specific code.
- Since all the Airbyte connectors are running on Docker containers, you can ensure independent operations.
- You can continuously track your custom connectors, refresh whenever you need them, and schedule updates.
- To make sure a full-proof connector is ready for production, Airbyte will certify them for you.
- A very limited number of pre-built connectors are available.
- This still requires you to invest a portion of your engineering bandwidth to develop, monitor & fix any issues.
- There are frequent new releases & lack of effective error handling.
8) Matillion Alternatives: Xplenty
Xplenty is another great alternative to Matillion. It provides a simple ETL tool that requires no coding or deployment. This allows enterprises to implement, process, and prepare data for cloud analytics. With its user-friendly interface, you can quickly get started with this scalable platform without the need for any programming skills. This gives organizations quick access to big data insights without the need to purchase software, hardware, and other tools.
Who should use Xplenty?
Xplenty is a good solution for companies that works with multiple IT systems that are based on different formats. Using Xplenty, you simply extract and merge data from several sources and make it available for BI tools or other IT systems.
- Xplenty has detailed documentation and a team of experts to help you out with your queries.
- The drag and drop interface allows you quickly set up your pipeline.
- You can easily manage data source and destination connections with an added ability to add notes to dataflows.
- You need some technical expertise to get started with the software as it has a significant learning curve.
- You might find it challenging to debug as the error logs lack specificity.
9) Matillion Alternatives: Adverity
Adverity is an intelligent Data Collection & Analytics platform designed for Marketers. It forms one of the best Matillion Alternatives for data-driven Marketers that allows them to quickly move data and make smarter decisions. It allows transforming siloed data into actionable insights, thereby enabling you to maximize your chances of high ROIs for Marketing Expenditures.
Who should use Adverity?
Adverity is the answer for Marketing Organizations that want to take control of their data architecture, all without having a specialized Analytics/Engineering team. It allows you to do away with hours of tedious manual work in Excel and creates a flexible and scalable BI practice.
Adverity’s data collection Matillion Alternative has the following pros & cons:
- Good support for Data Connectors allows unifying data from multiple sources.
- Adverity offers excellent customer service. It allows users to leverage the platform as power users, irrespective of thier technical skills.
- Adverity doesn’t offer support for designing custom API connectors.
- Dashboards and the primary UI of the platform lack personalization and customization features.
- It houses a steep learning curve for users, thereby making it difficult for users to leverage the platform quickly.
10) Matillion Alternatives: Astera
Astera Software offers a suite of high-performing yet user-friendly Data Extraction, Data Integration, Data Warehousing and Electronic Data Exchange solutions. Astera’s products are popularly praised for their user-friendly design and cutting-edge functionality.
It is one of the best Matillion Alternatives that is equally usable by developers and non-developers. Hence, it allows business users to spend less time maintaining data and more time utilizing it.
Who should use Astera?
Astera’s ETL Tools are designed to simplify the life of Financial Analysts by connecting with various Finance Data Sources such as Stripe, Quickbooks, etc. These offer a crucial Data Integration component to eliminate the manual unification of data and reports from various sources. Thus, it helps generate a single integrated view of “cash register” systems.
Astera comes with the following pros & cons:
- Astera has a great customer support team that is readily available to answer your queries or issues.
- It houses an easy-to-use UI.
- It makes keeping track of EDIs easy and simple.
- Astera delivers frequent updates for thier platforms, ensuring they offer the best in class features and high data security.
- Astera doesn’t offer comprehensive documentation.
- Various essential features are exclusive to the enterprise Edition.
- Astera follows a strict license-based approach. Hence, as a customer, you may encounter challenges with using the platform across systems.
- Support provided for Data Logging and Error Handling isn’t up to the mark.
This blog introduced you to Matillion along with the salient features that it offers. It also provided you with a comprehensive list of the top 10 Matillion Alternatives that you can use.
As you collect and manage your data across several applications and databases in your business, it is important to consolidate it for complete performance analysis of your business. You can comfortably achieve this through a Cloud-based ETL tool such as Hevo.
Visit our Website to Explore Hevo
Hevo, a No-code Data Pipeline provides you with a consistent and reliable solution to manage data transfer between a variety of sources and a wide variety of Desired Destinations, with a few clicks. Hevo with its strong integration with 150+ sources (including 40+ free sources) that connect with over 15+ Destinations. It allows you to export, transform, and enrich data from your desired data sources before loading it to the destination of your choice.
This will allow you to focus on your key business needs and perform insightful analysis.
Want to take Hevo for a spin? Sign Up for a 14-day free trial and experience the feature-rich Hevo suite first hand. You can also have a look at the unbeatable pricing that will help you choose the right plan for your business needs.
Share your experience of learning about the Top 10 Matillion Alternatives! Let us know in the comments section below!