Bringing your key sales, marketing and customer data from Salesforce to BigQuery is the right step towards building a robust analytics infrastructure. By merging this information with more data points available from various other data sources used by your business, you will be able to extract deep actionable insights that grow your business. Before we jump into the details, let us briefly understand each of these systems.
Table of Contents
- Introduction to Salesforce
- Introduction to Google BigQuery
- Methods to Connect Salesforce to BigQuery
- Method 1: Move Data from Salesforce to BigQuery using Custom Scripts
Introduction to Salesforce
Salesforce is one of the world’s most renowned customer relationship management platforms. Salesforce comes with a wide range of features that allow you to manage your key accounts and sales pipelines. While Salesforce does provide analytics within the software, many businesses would want to extract this data, combine it with data from other sources such as marketing, product, and more to get deeper insights on the customer. By bringing the CRM data into a modern data warehouse like BigQuery, this can be achieved.
Key Features of Salesforce
Salesforce is one of the most popular CRM in the current business scenario and it is due to its various features. Some of these key features are:
- Easy Setup: Unlike most CRMs, which usually take up to a year to completely get installed and deployed, Salesforce can be easily set up from scratch within few weeks only.
- Ease of Use: Businesses usually have to spend more time putting it to use and comparatively much lesser time in understanding how Salesforce works.
- Effective: Salesforce is convenient to use and can also be customized by businesses to meet their requirements. Due to this feature, users find the tool very beneficial.
- Account Planning: Salesforce provides you with enough data about each Lead that your Sales Team can customize their approach for every potential Lead. This will increase their chance of success and the customer will also get a personalized experience.
- Accessibility: Salesforce is a Cloud-based software, hence it is accessible from any remote location if you have an internet connection. Moreover, Salesforce has an application for mobile phones which makes it super convenient to use.
Introduction to Google BigQuery
Google BigQuery is a completely managed cloud data warehouse platform offered by Google. It is based on Google’s famous Dremel Engine. Since BigQuery is based on a serverless model, it provides you high level of abstraction. Since it is a completely managed warehouse, companies do not need to maintain any form of physical infrastructure and database administrators. BigQuery comes with a pay-as-you-go pricing model and allows to pay only for the queries run. is also very cost-effective as you only pay for the queries you run. These features together make BigQuery a very sought after data warehouse platform. You can read more about the key features of BigQuery here.
This blog covers two methods of loading data from Salesforce to Google BigQuery. The article also sheds light on the advantages/disadvantages of both approaches. This would give you enough pointers to evaluate them based on your use case and choose the right direction.
Two approaches to move data from Salesforce to BigQuery
You would need to deploy precious engineering resources to hand-code a data pipeline from Salesforce to BigQuery. The broad steps would be to fetch data from Salesforce’s API, transform it into a format that BigQuery accepts, upload this to BigQuery via Google Cloud Storage. Additionally, there must be processes but to monitor data accuracy and consistency.
Hevo can load your data from Salesforce to BigQuery in minutes without writing a single line of code and for free. Data loading can be configured on a visual, point, and click interface. Since Hevo is fully managed, you would not have to invest any additional time and resource in maintaining and monitoring the data. Hevo promises 100% data consistency and accuracy.Sign up here for a 14-day Free Trial!
Methods to Connect Salesforce to BigQuery
Let us look at both the approaches to connect Salesforce to BigQuery in a little more detail:
- Method 1: Move Data from Salesforce to BigQuery using Custom Scripts
- Method 2: Move Data from Salesforce to Google BigQuery using Hevo
Method 1: Move Data from Salesforce to BigQuery using Custom Scripts
- The first step would be to decide what data you need to extract from the API and Salesforce has an abundance of APIs.
- Transform your data:
Once you have extracted the data using one of the above approaches, you would need to do the following:
- BigQuery supports loading data in CSV and JSON formats. If the API you use returns data in formats other than these (eg: XML), you would need to transform them before loading.
- You also need to make sure your data types are supported by BIgQuery. Use this link BigQuery data types to learn more about BigQuery data types.
- Upload the prepared data to Google Cloud Storage
- Load to BigQuery from your GCS bucket using BigQuery’s command-line tool or any cloud SDK.
Salesforce to BigQuery: Limitations in writing Custom Code
When writing and managing API scripts you need to have the resources for coding, code reviews, test deployments, and documentation.
Depending on the use cases developed by your organization, you may need to amend API scripts; change the schema in your data warehouse; and make sure data types in source and destination match. You will also need to have a system for data validation. This would help you be at peace that data is being moved reliably. Each of these steps can make a substantial investment of time and resources. In today’s work setting, there are very few places with ‘standby’ resources that can take up the slack when major projects need more attention.
In addition to the above, you would also need to:
- Watch out for Salesforce API for changes
- Monitor GCS/BigQuery for changes and outages
- Retain skilled people to rewrite or update the code as needed
If all of this seems like a crushing workload you could look at alternatives like Hevo. Hevo frees you from inspecting data flows, examining data quality, and rewriting data-streaming APIs. Hevo gives you analysis-ready data so you can spend your time getting real-time business insights.
Method 2: Move data from Salesforce to Google BigQuery using Hevo
Hevo Data, a No-code Data Pipeline, helps you directly transfer data from Salesforce and 100+ other data sources to Data Warehouses such as BigQuery, Databases, BI tools, or a destination of your choice in a completely hassle-free & automated manner. Hevo is fully managed and completely automates the process of not only loading data from your desired source but also enriching the data and transforming it into an analysis-ready form without having to write a single line of code. Its fault-tolerant architecture ensures that the data is handled in a secure, consistent manner with zero data loss.Get Started with Hevo for free
Hevo Data takes care of all your data preprocessing needs and lets you focus on key business activities and draw a much powerful insight on how to generate more leads, retain customers, and take your business to new heights of profitability. It provides a consistent & reliable solution to manage data in real-time and always have analysis-ready data in your desired destination.
Hevo can integrate data from Salesforce to BigQuery in just 2 simple steps:
- Step 1: Authenticate and configure your Salesforce data source as shown in the below image. To learn more about this step, visit here.
- Step 2: Complete Salesforce to BigQuery Migration by providing information about your Google BigQuery destination such as the authorized Email Address, Project ID, etc.
Hevo’s visual interface gives you a hassle-free means to quickly and easily migrate from Salesforce to BigQuery and also for free. Without any coding, all your Salesforce data will be ready for analysis within minutes.
Advantages of using Hevo
- Completely Automated: The Hevo platform can be set up in just a few minutes and requires minimal maintenance.
- Real-Time Data Transfer: Hevo provides real-time data migration, so you can have analysis-ready data always.
- 100% Complete & Accurate Data Transfer: Hevo’s robust infrastructure ensures reliable data transfer with zero data loss.
- Scalable Infrastructure: Hevo has in-built integrations for 100+ sources, that can help you scale your data infrastructure as required.
- 24/7 Live Support: The Hevo team is available round the clock to extend exceptional support to you through chat, email, and support calls.
- Schema Management: Hevo takes away the tedious task of schema management & automatically detects the schema of incoming data and maps it to the destination schema.
- Live Monitoring: Hevo allows you to monitor the data flow so you can check where your data is at a particular point in time.
The blog talks about the two methods you can use to move data from Salesforce to BigQuery in a seamless fashion.
The idea of custom coding with its implicit control over the entire data-transfer process is always attractive. However, it is also a huge resource load for any organization.
A practical alternative is Hevo – a fault-tolerant, reliable Data Integration Platform. Hevo gives you an environment free from any hassles, where you can securely move data from any source to any destination (www.hevodata.com/integrations).
See how easy it is to migrate data from Salesforce to BigQuery and that too for free.Visit our Website to Explore Hevo
Want to take Hevo for a spin? Sign Up for a 14-day free trial and experience the feature-rich Hevo suite first hand. You can also have a look at the unbeatable pricing that will help you choose the right plan for your business needs.