Data is fantastic, but Big Data is even better. With big data, you get a broader scope of research, which ultimately goes a great way in informed decision-making. However, getting your hands on large datasets is not as easy as it seems. A myriad of factors come into play, making it extremely difficult for you to access such information. For instance, you need ample storage to host this data which is another expensive feat. Furthermore, you need analytics tools to run over the dataset and get accurate information. In fact, without credible analytic tools, you just have a bunch of information you cant make good use of.
It is no secret that data is precious, and the more you have, the better. However, with extensive data comes several complexities that make a scientist’s job even more complicated. The future with Big Data may sound bleak, but that is not the case with BigQuery Public Datasets. With these tools, you can easily explore the world of open data. So what exactly are BigQuery Public Datasets
In this article, you will get to know about some BigQuery Public Datasets available for you to use.
Table of Contents
Introduction to BigQuery Public Datasets
In simple terms, a public dataset is any sort of dataset stored in Bigquery. It is then made available to users through the Google Cloud Public Dataset Program. You can then access these datasets and integrate them into your applications as you desire. It is worth noting that Google handles storage expenses for these datasets and allows access via a project. As the end-user, you will only be required to pay for the queries you perform on the data. You need only use SQL or standard SQL queries. You can access this information via the Cloud Console.
For more information on the topic at hand, you can visit the BigQuery Public Datasets page. You will realize that there are over 40 public datasets available for you to utilize. Furthermore, there is a brief but comprehensive explanation of the datasets. This way, you can better understand the structure of the dataset before you begin the querying process.
A fully managed No-code Data Pipeline platform like Hevo Data helps you integrate and load data from 100+ different sources (including 30+ free sources) to a Data Warehouse such as Google BigQuery or Destination of your choice in real-time in an effortless manner. Hevo with its minimal learning curve can be set up in just a few minutes allowing the users to load data without having to compromise performance. Its strong integration with umpteenth sources allows users to bring in data of different kinds in a smooth fashion without having to code a single line.
Get Started with Hevo for free
Check out some of the cool features of Hevo:
Sign up here for a 14-day Free Trial!
- Completely Automated: The Hevo platform can be set up in just a few minutes and requires minimal maintenance.
- Transformations: Hevo provides preload transformations through Python code. It also allows you to run transformation code for each event in the Data Pipelines you set up. You need to edit the event object’s properties received in the transform method as a parameter to carry out the transformation. Hevo also offers drag and drop transformations like Date and Control Functions, JSON, and Event Manipulation to name a few. These can be configured and tested before putting them to use.
- Connectors: Hevo supports 100+ integrations to SaaS platforms, files, Databases, analytics, and BI tools. It supports various destinations including Google BigQuery, Amazon Redshift, Snowflake Data Warehouses; Amazon S3 Data Lakes; and MySQL, SQL Server, TokuDB, DynamoDB, PostgreSQL Databases to name a few.
- Real-Time Data Transfer: Hevo provides real-time data migration, so you can have analysis-ready data always.
- 100% Complete & Accurate Data Transfer: Hevo’s robust infrastructure ensures reliable data transfer with zero data loss.
- Scalable Infrastructure: Hevo has in-built integrations for 100+ sources (including 30+ free sources) that can help you scale your data infrastructure as required.
- 24/7 Live Support: The Hevo team is available round the clock to extend exceptional support to you through chat, email, and support calls.
- Schema Management: Hevo takes away the tedious task of schema management & automatically detects the schema of incoming data and maps it to the destination schema.
- Live Monitoring: Hevo allows you to monitor the data flow so you can check where your data is at a particular point in time.
5 Useful BigQuery Public Datasets
Below is the list of 5 useful BigQuery Public Datasets:
1) Google Trends
This is one of the essential BigQuery Public Datasets for businesses focused on reaching a specific Target Audience. By using the tool, companies stand to make better and more effective Data-Driven decisions. The difference between this dataset and the existing Google Trends UI is that it is more improved since it goes a long way in simplifying the manual experience with the mentioned platform. Some of the features that make the experience a whole lot easier include automated, aggregated, and indexed search data in BigQuery Public Dataset.
For starters, it includes the top 25 stories and top 25 rising queries from Google Trends. Each of these is visualized as two separate BigQuery Tables where new terms are added daily. The list is updated for 30 days, which is the expiry period. Finally, users get Historical Data spanning five years spread out over 210 different locations in the US.
2) American Community Survey (ACS)
Like Google Trends, the American Community Survey (ACS) is another essential BigQuery Public Dataset that helps companies make informed decisions. This tool provides critical information regarding the American Population by contacting over 3.5 million households every year. The resulting information includes detailed demographic data across the US, which is categorized on various geographic levels.
ACS benefits the E-Commerce sector as it is one of the most outstanding features in that it can be used as a component for Market Research. By querying the information in this dataset, businesses can make informed decisions about where most employees and customers are located. Furthermore, the data provides detailed information about the kind of customer base concentrated in specific areas. This way, businesses can decide what products and services are likely to appeal to this customer base.
3) Google Community Mobility Reports
It is no secret that COVID-19 has impacted every aspect of life, from businesses to education to travel. The Google Community Mobility Reports provide detailed insights on changes brought forth by COVID-19. Data is categorized based on region and the type of business. For instance, this BigQuery Public Dataset can provide valuable insights regarding changes in the retail industry. You can see how visits to areas such as parks and stores are changing due to the pandemic from the information provided. This BigQuery Public Dataset is especially useful for businesses that are planning to expand their reach to different locations. By querying available information, such enterprises get to learn how to adapt to changes in other regions.
4) Google Analytics
This is one of the most valuable BigQuery Public Datasets for Website Tracking. It provides you with real-time Metrics for any website you are tracking and allows you to compare two different datasets. Below are some of the key metrics you can get from the tool:
- Annual trends in the number of visitors, sessions, and page view year after year.
- A detailed breakdown of the devices uses to access the website.
- The total number of visitors, sessions, and page views.
5) Census Bureau US Boundaries
This is another critical dataset for businesses since it provides detailed Geographical Information for US regions. It includes boundary files derived from the TIGER/Line Shapefiles and other core Geographical materials from the US Census Bureau. This dataset can be used to answer critical questions such as the proximity of a particular area to amenities such as airports and sports stadiums.
The age of Big Data is here whether we like it or not. Therefore, it falls upon us to decide whether we will make use of the abundance of information. One of the most efficient ways is using BigQuery Public Datasets. You can answer almost any question by querying this collection of data. In case you want to export data into your desired BigQuery Data Warehouse, then Hevo Data is the right choice for you!
Visit our Website to Explore Hevo
Hevo Data provides its users with a simpler platform for integrating data from 100+ sources for Analysis. It is a No-code Data Pipeline that can help you combine data from multiple sources. You can use it to transfer data from multiple data sources into your Data Warehouse, Database, or a destination of your choice. It provides you with a consistent and reliable solution to managing data in real-time, ensuring that you always have Analysis-ready data in your desired destination.
Want to take Hevo for a spin? Sign Up for a 14-day free trial and experience the feature-rich Hevo suite first hand. You can also have a look at our unbeatable pricing that will help you choose the right plan for your business needs!
Share your experience of learning about BigQuery Public Datasets! Let us know in the comments section below!