Are you confused about how to connect MongoDB to Power BI? Have you invested multiple hours on the internet to find the correct way to analyze and visualize your MongoDB data in a BI tool? If yes, then this blog will answer your questions.
Data visualization is the process of representing your data graphically. The images produced using MongoDB data in BI software help to communicate to the viewers. It gives you better insights into your MongoDB data. Power BI, Tableau, and Google Data Studio are a few examples of the most popular BI tools.
In this blog, you will unwrap the process of connecting Power BI MongoDB in a few simple steps. Let’s see what you will cover here:
Introduction to MongoDB
MongoDB is an open-source document-oriented NoSQL database owned by MongoDB Inc. As it is a NoSQL database, it uses collections and documents to store data instead of using tables and rows. The basic unit of MongoDB is a key-value pair. Each document contains a primary key. MongoDB stores data in JSON documents with dynamic schemas. Companies like Uber, Stack, Accenture, etc uses MongoDB for storing data.
Key Features of MongoDB
- Indexing: MongoDB can index any document.
- Ad Hoc Queries: In MongoDB, you can search based on fields, range queries, and regular expressions.
- Duplicated Data: MongoDB runs on multiple servers. Data is duplicated to keep your system up in case of failure.
- Schemaless Database: MongoDB supports a schemaless database, enhancing its flexibility.
Introduction to Power BI
Microsoft Power BI is a cloud-based business analyst platform. You can create interactive reports with the help of Power BI. Power BI supports in-built connectors for databases such as Oracle, SQL Server, PostgreSQL, etc. Power BI is available as Power BI Mobile and Power BI Desktop.
Key Features of Power BI
- Easy Set-Up: It is free software that can be set up in minutes.
- Customized Visualization: Power BI supports a custom visualization library through which you can create your desired visuals.
- Interactive Interface: Power BI offers a simple and intuitive interface to its users. No codes are required to create a report on this platform.
- Real-Time: Data is available for visualization in real time. You can capture opportunities and solve problems in real time.
- Download and install MongoDB ODBC driver from here.
- You need to have basic knowledge of MongoDB.
- You should understand the concept of NoSQL and business intelligence tools.
Hevo Data, a No-code Data Pipeline helps to load data from any data source such as Whatsapp, Databases, SaaS applications, Cloud Storage, SDKs, and Streaming Services and simplifies the ETL process. It supports 150+ data sources (including 30+ free data sources) like Asana and is a 3-step process by just selecting the data source, providing valid credentials, and choosing the destination. Hevo not only loads the data onto the desired Data Warehouse/destination but also enriches the data and transforms it into an analysis-ready form without having to write a single line of code.
GET STARTED WITH HEVO FOR FREE
Its completely automated pipeline offers data to be delivered in real-time without any loss from source to destination. Its fault-tolerant and scalable architecture ensure that the data is handled in a secure, consistent manner with zero data loss and supports different forms of data. The solutions provided are consistent and work with different BI tools as well.
Check out why Hevo is the Best:
SIGN UP HERE FOR A 14-DAY FREE TRIAL
- Secure: Hevo has a fault-tolerant architecture that ensures that the data is handled in a secure, consistent manner with zero data loss.
- Schema Management: Hevo takes away the tedious task of schema management & automatically detects the schema of incoming data and maps it to the destination schema.
- Minimal Learning: Hevo, with its simple and interactive UI, is extremely simple for new customers to work on and perform operations.
- Hevo Is Built To Scale: As the number of sources and the volume of your data grows, Hevo scales horizontally, handling millions of records per minute with very little latency.
- Incremental Data Load: Hevo allows the transfer of data that has been modified in real-time. This ensures efficient utilization of bandwidth on both ends.
- Live Support: The Hevo team is available round the clock to extend exceptional support to its customers through chat, email, and support calls.
- Live Monitoring: Hevo allows you to monitor the data flow and check where your data is at a particular point in time.
Load Data from MongoDB to Power BI
Let’s see how you will connect MongoDB to Power BI in 8 easy steps:
- Go to “Administrative Tools” and select “ODBC Data Sources” corresponding to your system.
- Select “System DSN” and click “Add..”.
- In the “Create New Data Source”, select the appropriate driver. ANSI driver offers better performance but limited character sets whereas the Unicode driver offers an entire character set but limited performance.
- Now, provide connection parameters. Specify the name of the data source, TCP/IP server, port, username, password, and database.
- Go to Power BI Desktop, and select “Get Data” in the home ribbon. Click on “More..”.
- In the panel, select “Other”. Click on the “ODBC” and then “Connect”.
- In the ODBC panel, select the name of your DSN and click “OK”.
- In the navigator panel, select your database and click “Load”.
That’s it, so can power bi connect to MongoDB? Yes, you’ve now successfully learned how to connect MongoDB to Power BI.
In this blog, you have learned about MongoDB, Power BI, and how to connect MongoDB with Power BI for data analysis and data visualization. Organizations use BI tools to get better insights into their data. But if your data is present on multiple platforms and you want to integrate it before visualization, then give Hevo Data a try.
visit our website to explore hevo
For a data pipeline tool, we expect to be able to seamlessly integrate our data sources with custom scheduling, logging, and alerts. Hevo provides all these features and allows us to get access to data when we critically need it.– Chris Lockhart, Data Science Manager, Scratchpay
Hevo Data is a No-code Data Pipeline. It extracts data from the source, transforms it, and loads it to your destination. It offers pre-built integrations from 150+ sources.
SIGN UP for a 14-day free trial and see the difference!
Share your experience of connecting MongoDB to Power BI in the comment section below.
No-code Data Pipeline for MongoDB