Whether you are a small business or a large enterprise, Data Associated with customer details, order details, transactions associated with employees, marketing and advertising expenses, etc. is generated every day. Accounting for all this Data is a vital part to keep in check the cash flow and ensure profits for your business. All this information is compiled to create reports to gain proper insight into the company’s finances and make strategic decisions.
QuickBooks, Accounting Software, helps you automate all your bookkeeping so that you can easily track your revenue and expenses. QuickBooks Reports provide you with visual insight into your Sales, Expenses, Profit, and Loss, etc.
Its user-friendly Dashboard gives you a brief overview of their business activities which is highly informative for day-to-day processing. Apart from the standard reports, QuickBooks Custom Reports provide a vast variety of options to customize your Financial Reports that suit your business needs.
In this article, you will learn about setting up QuickBooks Custom Reports and Dashboards.
Table of Contents
QuickBooks is an easy-to-use Accounting Software focusing on small businesses and medium-sized enterprises. It provides an On-premise QuickBooks Desktop version as well as a Cloud-based service known as QuickBooks Online which you can access through a secure network. To use this application, you don’t require any prior Accounting knowledge as QuickBooks does all of it for you.
Aside from being an application, it acts as a Robust Database and can be scaled to store Data according to your growing business needs. Ease of Integration with other applications helps you sync your data across all teams in your organization.
Some of the key features that makes it so popular among small businesses are:
- Remote Access: Through QuickBooks Online you can enjoy its Cloud Accounting feature and manage your business anytime, anywhere, and from any device.
- Online Banking: On connecting your Bank Account with QuickBooks Online, it automatically downloads the transactions from the bank and categorizes them. You don’t have to worry about any manual Data entry error as it enters all the daily data for you.
- Accounting Reports: Keeping up-to-date with business progress is ever so easy now from the vast variety of Standard Reports and Dashboards. Also, QuickBooks Custom Reports provides you with Data Insights according to your needs.
- Multiple Users: You can allow different permissions for your employees to access QuickBooks Online. This increases collaboration between various teams in your enterprise. With this access, users can generate QuickBooks Custom Reports for their respective departments.
- Invoicing: Generate Custom Invoices and Bills. It also allows keeping track of the timely payment of the bills.
- Cash Flow Management: You can schedule timely payments to vendors and keep in check the incoming revenue with outgoing payments.
- Support: With Free unlimited support, all your queries are handled by QuickBooks Professionals.
To know more about QuickBooks, click here.
Hevo is a No-code Data Pipeline that offers a fully managed solution to set up data integration from 100+ data sources like QuickBooks (including 30+ Free Data Sources) and will let you directly load data to a Data Warehouse/Desired Destination and visualize it in a BI tool of your choice. It will automate your data flow in minutes without writing any line of code. Its fault-tolerant architecture makes sure that your data is secure and consistent. Hevo provides you with a truly efficient and fully automated solution to manage data in real-time and always have analysis-ready data.
Get Started with Hevo for free
Check out what makes Hevo amazing:
Sign up here for a 14-day Free Trial!
- Secure: Hevo has a fault-tolerant architecture that ensures that the data is handled in a secure, consistent manner with zero data loss.
- Schema Management: Hevo takes away the tedious task of schema management & automatically detects schema of incoming data and maps it to the destination schema.
- Minimal Learning: Hevo, with its simple and interactive UI, is extremely simple for new customers to work on and perform operations.
- Hevo Is Built To Scale: As the number of sources and the volume of your data grows, Hevo scales horizontally, handling millions of records per minute with minimal latency.
- Incremental Data Load: Hevo allows the transfer of data that has been modified in real-time. This ensures efficient utilization of bandwidth on both ends.
- Live Support: The Hevo team is available round the clock to extend exceptional support to its customers through chat, email, and support calls.
- Live Monitoring: Hevo allows you to monitor the data flow and check where your data is at a particular point in time.
- QuickBooks Online Account.
- Working knowledge of QuickBooks.
Customizing Dashboards in QuickBooks Online
The first page that you interact with after logging into your QuickBooks Online account is the Dashboard. If you are a new user, then that page will be empty and will start displaying the content once you start your transactions.
The Dashboard has two main tabs:-
A) Get Things Done Tab
This tab helps you with three services:
- Setup Guide: This helps you get started with your QuickBooks Online Account and setup up your basic company activities for this application.
- Shortcuts: It is a handy section that has all your favourite features to quickly Add a customer, send an invoice, pay a bill, and many more.
- Bank Accounts: This appears on the right side and displays the balance for current Bank Accounts connected to your QuickBooks Account.
B) Business Overview Tab
This keeps you aware of your business performance by displaying you metrics such as Sales, Invoices, Profit & Loss, Expenses, etc. You can change the duration for these parameters by selecting the drop-down menu on the top right corner of each parameter tab.
Details about different Bank Accounts are also displayed on the right side of the Dashboard. You can reorder them by clicking on the ‘Pencil’ icon. You can also use the links to Connect Accounts, Go to Records, or Go to Performance Center for easier access.
Apart from Business View, which helps you track your daily progress, Accountant View is also available. This view is what you would be seeing if you have been using QuickBooks Online for a while.
To switch Views, on the top right corner, Navigate to Settings ⚙ > Switch to Business View or Switch to Accountant View.
Now that you have learned how to customize Dashboards, next will see how to create QuickBooks Custom Reports.
Building QuickBooks Custom Reports
Financial Report is of great importance to any business as it helps them understand the cash flow as well the performance of the company. QuickBooks Custom Reports are highly organized and structured which provides meaningful business insights from Raw Data. Everyone has different business needs and hence you may also want to customize your reports to see what matters to you the most.
Let’s check how to create Custom Reports in the following easy steps:
- Go to Reports on the left-hand menu.
- Select the Report of your choice.
- On the top right corner, click on the Customize button.
Now, a Customization Window will appear with different sections. This will have different filters to customize your report, with some filters available for particular reports only.
To create QuickBooks Custom Reports we will go through the following Sections in the Customization Window:
A) General Settings Section
Here you can select the period for which the report should display the Data. You can standardize your Data by selecting the Number format. You get to choose from two Accounting Methods i.e Cash and Accrual.
B) Rows/Columns Section
This section lets you choose how the Data appears in the columns and rows. For example, for Profit Loss Reports from January to March, go to the Rows/Columns settings, and in the Columns box, choose Months as your parameter. These QuickBooks Custom Reports will display Profit or Loss amounts for January, February, and March in separate columns.
You can also compare your Profit & Loss Data with previous periods, previous year, year to date, or even add columns displaying percentages. This can be helpful if you are in the E-Commerce business and want to check how much % of Sales you spend on utilities and rents.
To do this, Navigate to Rows/Columns > Change Columns and select the desired parameter.
C) Filter Section
This helps you filter which customers, vendors, accounts, or products you want to target in the report. For example, for a Monthly Design Sales Report for all Accounts and Customers, you can Create QuickBooks Custom Reports by the following steps:
- Click the Filter option.
- Go to Lists and choose “Design” for the Products/Services.
D) Header/Footer Section
Now that you have set up your QuickBooks Custom Report, in this section, you can set Report Title, Company Name, Date and Time of report preparation, etc. And once you are done with this section, click on “Run Report” to generate your QuickBooks Custom Reports.
E) Saving Custom Reports
Once you are done with all the filters, do remember to save the QuickBooks Custom Reports so that you can run them in the future when needed.
You can do this by :
- Click on the “Save Customization” button on the top right corner next to Customize Button.
- Give a Name to your report and click Save.
F) Exporting Reports to Excel
For some cases, you may find that all required columns are not available in a single report. You can add different columns from other reports by exporting your QuickBooks Custom Reports to Microsoft Excel and then do the addition manually. Once you have run the report, as shown in the Green Box, Click the Export icon and select Export to Excel.
For more information on QuickBooks Custom Reports click here.
Limitations of QuickBooks Custom Reports and Dashboards
QuickBooks is a highly efficient tool when it comes to Custom Invoices, Cloud Accounting, and Accounting Reports. But while Creating QuickBooks Custom Reports and Dashboards, there are some challenges that you may face:
- There is no option to build a QuickBooks Custom Report from Scratch. You only have the standard reports available which you can customize in QuickBooks to a limit.
- In many cases, you might want to add columns from other reports. Currently, there is no such option and you have to export the reports to Microsoft Excel and manually customize them.
- The dashboard has limited capabilities in terms of customization.
In this article, you learned how to create QuickBooks Custom Reports and Dashboards. QuickBooks provides an elegant solution to automate Accounting for small businesses and help them grow. The ease of use and customization of the standard reports proved to be quite useful as it helps in getting an overview of the company’s progress.
Though there were some limitations to these customizations and these can be improved if you integrate QuickBooks with BI tools. This can be achieved by a Cloud-based ETL Tool like Hevo Data.
Visit our Website to Explore Hevo
Hevo, a No-code Data Pipeline, can help you integrate data from different sources like QuickBooks with a Data Warehouse to be visualized in a BI Tool. Hevo with its strong integration with 100+ sources & BI tools, allows you to not only export & load Data but also transform & enrich your Data & make it analysis-ready.
Want to take Hevo for a spin? Sign Up for a 14-day free trial and experience the feature-rich Hevo suite first hand. You can also have a look at our unbeatable pricing that will help you choose the right plan for your business needs!
Share with us your experience in Creating QuickBooks Custom Reports and Dashboards. Let us know in the comments section below!