You are going about your day setting up and operating your organization’s data infrastructure and preparing it for further analysis. Suddenly, you get a request from one of your team members to replicate data from Zendesk to PostgreSQL.
We are here to help you out with this problem. You can transfer data from Zendesk to PostgreSQL using custom ETL scripts. Or you can pick an automated tool to do the heavy lifting. This article provides a step-by-step guide for both of them.
Table of Contents
How to Connect Zendesk to PostgreSQL?
To replicate data from Zendesk to PostgreSQL, you can either use CSV files or a no-code automated solution. We’ll cover replication via CSV files first.
Export Zendesk to PostgreSQL using CSV Files.
You can export CSV files from Zendesk and import them to PostgreSQL.
- Step 1: Navigate to “Admin Centre” > “Account“, then select Tools > Reports.
- Step 2: Click “Request file” beside the appropriate export option for CSV or XML exports.
- Step 3: Completion of a background task is communicated via email. Click the link in the email notification to download the report as a CSV zip file.
- Step 4: To import this CSV file into the PostgreSQL table, you can use COPY statement as follows:
COPY persons(first_name, last_name, dob, email)
Using CSV files and SQL queries is a great way to replicate data from Zendesk to PostgreSQL. It is ideal in the following situations:
- Less Amount of Data: This method is appropriate for you when the number of reports is less. Even the number of rows in each report is not huge.
- One-Time Data Replication: This method suits your requirements if your business teams need the data only once in a while.
- No Data Transformation Required: This approach has limited options in terms of data transformation. Files exported in CSV format may need to be transformed into other file formats for mainframe, tape, data exchange, and reporting applications. In addition to converting to and from CSV files, you also need to integrate and transform the data contained within them, report on it or manipulate it for data analytics and visualization, and manage its quality, security, etc. Hence, it is ideal if the data in your spreadsheets is clean, standardized, and present in an analysis-ready form.
- Dedicated Personnel: If your organization has dedicated people who have to perform the manual downloading and uploading of CSV files, then accomplishing this task is not much of a headache.
This task would feel mundane if you would need to replicate fresh data from Zendesk regularly. It adds to your misery when you have to transform the raw data every time. With the increase in data sources, you would have to spend a significant portion of your engineering bandwidth creating new data connectors. Just imagine — building custom connectors for each source, transforming & processing the data, tracking the data flow individually, and fixing issues. Doesn’t it sound exhausting?
How about you focus on more productive tasks than repeatedly writing custom ETL scripts, downloading, cleaning, and uploading CSV files? This sounds good, right?
In that case, you can…
Automate the Data Replication process using a No-Code Tool
Going all the way to use CSV files for every new data connector request is not the most efficient and economical solution. Frequent breakages, pipeline errors, and lack of data flow monitoring make scaling such a system a nightmare.
You can streamline the Zendesk to PostgreSQL data integration process by opting for an automated tool. To name a few benefits, you can check out the following:
- It allows you to focus on core engineering objectives. At the same time, your business teams can jump on to reporting without any delays or data dependency on you.
- Your sales and support team can effortlessly enrich, filter, aggregate, and segment raw Zendesk data with just a few clicks.
- The beginner-friendly UI saves the engineering team hours of productive time lost due to tedious data preparation tasks.
- Without coding knowledge, your analysts can seamlessly aggregate campaign data from multiple sources for faster analysis.
- Your business teams get to work with near real-time data with no compromise on the accuracy & consistency of the analysis.
As a hands-on example, you can check out how Hevo, a cloud-based No-code ETL/ELT Tool, makes the Zendesk to PostgreSQL data replication effortless in just 2 simple steps:
Step 1: Configure Zendesk as a Source
Configure Zendesk as the source in Hevo.
Step 2: Configure PostgreSQL as a Destination
Configure PostgreSQL as your Destination.
That’s it, literally! You have connected Zendesk to PostgreSQL in just 2 steps. These were just the inputs required from your end. Now, everything will be taken care of by Hevo. It will automatically replicate new and updated data from Zendesk to PostgreSQL.
You can also visit the official documentation of Hevo for Zendesk as a source and PostgreSQL as a destination to have in-depth knowledge about the process.
In a matter of minutes, you can complete this No-Code & automated approach of connecting Zendesk to PostgreSQL using Hevo and start analyzing your data.
Hevo’s fault-tolerant architecture ensures that the data is handled in a secure, consistent manner with zero data loss. It also enriches the data and transforms it into an analysis-ready form without having to write a single line of code.
Hevo’s reliable data pipeline platform enables you to set up zero-code and zero-maintenance data pipelines that just work. By employing Hevo to simplify your data integration needs, you get to leverage its salient features:
Get started for Free with Hevo!
- Fully Managed: You don’t need to dedicate time to building your pipelines. With Hevo’s dashboard, you can monitor all the processes in your pipeline, thus giving you complete control over it.
- Data Transformation: Hevo provides a simple interface to cleanse, modify, and transform your data through drag-and-drop features and Python scripts. It can accommodate multiple use cases with its pre-load and post-load transformation capabilities.
- Faster Insight Generation: Hevo offers near real-time data replication, giving you access to real-time insight generation and faster decision-making.
- Scalable Infrastructure: With the increased number of sources and volume of data, Hevo can automatically scale horizontally, handling millions of records per minute with minimal latency.
- Transparent pricing: You can select your pricing plan based on your requirements. Different plans are put together on its website and all the features it supports. You can adjust your credit limits and spend notifications for increased data flow.
What can you hope to achieve by replicating data from Zendesk to PostgreSQL?
By migrating your data from Zendesk to PostgreSQL, you can help your business stakeholders find the answers to these questions:
- What percentage of customers’ queries from a region are through email?
- The customers acquired from which channel have the maximum number of tickets raised?
- What percentage of agents respond to customers’ tickets acquired through the organic channel?
- Customers acquired from which channel have the maximum satisfaction ratings?
- How does customer SCR (Sales Close Ratio) vary by Marketing campaign?
- How does the number of calls to the user affect the activity duration with a Product?
- How does Agent performance vary by Product Issue Severity?
Exporting & uploading CSV files is the go-to solution for you when your data analysts require fresh data from Zendesk only once in a while. But with an increase in frequency, redundancy will also increase. To channel your time into productive tasks, you can opt-in for an automated solution that will help accommodate regular data replication needs. This would be genuinely helpful to support & product teams as they would need regular updates about customer queries, experiences, and satisfaction levels with the product.
Even better, your support teams would now get immediate access to data from multiple channels and thus deliver contextual, timely, and personalized customer experiences.
So, take a step forward. And here, we’re ready to help you with this journey of building an automated no-code data pipeline with Hevo. Hevo’s 150+ plug-and-play native integrations will help you replicate data smoothly from multiple tools to a destination of your choice. Its intuitive UI will help you smoothly navigate through its interface. And with its pre-load transformation capabilities, you don’t even need to worry about manually finding errors and cleaning & standardizing them.
With a no-code data pipeline solution at your service, companies will spend less time calling APIs, referencing data, building pipelines, and more time gaining insights from their data.
Skeptical? Why not try Hevo for free and take the decision all by yourself? Using Hevo’s 14-day free trial feature, you can build a data pipeline from Zendesk to PostgreSQL and try out the experience.
Here’s a short video that will guide you through the process of building a data pipeline with Hevo.
We’ll see you again the next time you want to replicate data from yet another connector to your destination. That is if you haven’t switched to a no-code automated ETL tool.
We hope you have found the appropriate answer to the query you were searching for. Happy to help!