Many Software Developers favor both Bamboo and Jira over their alternatives because of their self-sufficiency. If you use both Jira and Bamboo, you probably log every application you build on Bamboo in your Jira instance. While working on a Jira software project, you may want to get a closer look at the status of the app’s development process on Bamboo.
A Bamboo Jira Integration allows you to view and monitor the development process of your Bamboo app on Jira without leaving the Project Management software. Read on to discover how to perform a Bamboo Jira Integration.
This article will guide you through the process of setting up Bamboo Jira Integration using 3 simple steps. It will provide you with a brief overview of Bamboo and Jira with their key features. You will also explore the key benefits of setting up Bamboo Jira Integration in further sections. Let’s get started.
Table of Contents
- Introduction to Bamboo
- Introduction to Jira
- Steps to Set Up Bamboo Jira Integration
- Key Benefits of Setting Up Bamboo Jira Integration
You will have a much easier time setting up your Bamboo Jira Integration if you have gone through the following prerequisites.
- An active Bamboo account with Admin access.
- An active Jira account with Admin access.
Introduction to Bamboo
Bamboo is a Software Development app that helps programmers automate all the plans required to prepare their applications for release. Software Developers can also use the app to build, record, integrate and test code before deploying an application.
Bamboo has a user-friendly GUI (Graphical User Interface). It divides each code into plans, stages, and jobs. In addition, this app supports CI/CD (Continuous Integration/Deployment) methodologies. This means that it will automate any repetitive code you enter into its system.
Since the Bamboo app is self-sufficient, you can reduce the time spent integrating different software to write your code. As a result, you’ll be able to focus your attention on building codes.
Key Features of Bamboo
Bamboo is one of the widely used Software Development app. Some of the key features of Bamboo include:
- Automation of Repetitive Code: By automating repetitive code, Bamboo lets programmers spend more time on writing new codes.
- Ease of Use: The user interface segments in Bamboo enable its users to build codes with different structures and targets in isolated sections. This prevents them from confusing one app code for the other.
- Direct Deployment: Bamboo offers Direct Deployment to mobile application servers like Google Play and App Store.
- Remote Access: With Bamboo, different members of a team can build code for the same app from remote locations.
- Continuous Integration/Deployment: Once a team member starts writing the code for an app, the software integrates its code automatically with that of other team members.
To know more about Bamboo, visit this link.
Introduction to Jira
Jira is an application that offers IT tools to help teams across various departments plan and manage their projects from a single platform. The software has all the tools you need to conduct a holistic Project Management process.
There are numerous Jira packages that assist users in implementing an efficient Project Management process. These packages are:
- Jira Core: This package contains tools that help non-IT teams manage their projects with ease.
- Jira Service Desk: The Jira Service Desk offers tools that facilitate communication between customer support agents and the end-users of a product.
- Jira Software: This is the Jira package made specially for Software Developers. To help programmers monitor their app development process closely, Jira Software supports integration with CI/CD tools like Bamboo. Through these integrations, Jira users can easily discover when their application is ready to deploy right from their Jira instance.
Key Features of Jira
Jira is a well-known Project Management and Collaboration platform that helps teams in achieving a unified goal. Some of the key features of Jira include:
- Workflow Customizations: The Kanban and Scrum boards on Jira software function as task management platforms. Software Developers can divide their app development process into tasks, assign the tasks to team members, and monitor the status of each task regularly.
- Release Hub: The Release Hub helps programmers verify the status of the application before release. It summarizes all the issues in an app that need to be reviewed ahead of its unveiling.
- Robust Integration Support: Developers have access to multiple REST (Representational State Transfer) and Java APIs (Application Programming Interface), as well as the Atlassian Marketplace, making it simple to extend Jira’s functionality and customize it to your company’s needs.
- DevOps: DevOps is a Jira template that guides programmers through the process of Software Development. Programmers who use the DevOps templates will receive access to first and third-party integrated tools like Gitlab (code control), Confluence (Code documentation), and Opsgenie (code monitoring).
To know more about Jira, visit this link.
Simplify Data Analysis Using Hevo’s No-code Data Pipeline
Hevo Data helps you directly transfer data from Jira and 100+ other data sources (including 40+ free sources) to Business Intelligence tools, Data Warehouses, or a destination of your choice in a completely hassle-free & automated manner. Hevo is fully managed and completely automates the process of not only loading data from your desired source but also enriching the data and transforming it into an analysis-ready form without having to write a single line of code. Its fault-tolerant architecture ensures that the data is handled in a secure, consistent manner with zero data loss.
Hevo takes care of all your data preprocessing needs required to set up the integration and lets you focus on key business activities and draw a much powerful insight on how to generate more leads, retain customers, and take your business to new heights of profitability. It provides a consistent & reliable solution to manage data in real-time and always have analysis-ready data in your desired destination.Get Started with Hevo for Free
Check out what makes Hevo amazing:
- Secure: Hevo has a fault-tolerant architecture that ensures that the data is handled in a secure, consistent manner with zero data loss.
- Schema Management: Hevo takes away the tedious task of schema management & automatically detects the schema of incoming data and maps it to the destination schema.
- Minimal Learning: Hevo, with its simple and interactive UI, is extremely simple for new customers to work on and perform operations.
- Hevo Is Built To Scale: As the number of sources and the volume of your data grows, Hevo scales horizontally, handling millions of records per minute with very little latency.
- Incremental Data Load: Hevo allows the transfer of data that has been modified in real-time. This ensures efficient utilization of bandwidth on both ends.
- Live Support: The Hevo team is available round the clock to extend exceptional support to its customers through chat, E-Mail, and support calls.
- Live Monitoring: Hevo allows you to monitor the data flow and check where your data is at a particular point in time.
Steps to Set Up Bamboo Jira Integration
Now that you understand the basics of Bamboo and Jira, let’s move into how to integrate these platforms. If you want to view your Bamboo build process from your Jira instance, you have to create a 2-way application link between the two apps.
That said, you should also upgrade your Bamboo version to 5.4, and your Jira version to 6.2 if you want to get the best out of the integration. Below are the steps you can follow to set up Bamboo Jira Integration:
- Step 1: Sign in to your Bamboo Account and Navigate to Application Links
- Step 2: Create a New Link for the Bamboo Jira Integration
- Step 3: Download the Bamboo Jira Plugin on your Server
Step 1: Sign in to your Bamboo Account and Navigate to Application Links
The first step in setting up Bamboo Jira Integration is to sign in to your Bamboo account. You can follow the below-mentioned procedures to navigate to the Application links.
- Select the Settings icon at the top of your Homepage, and select Manage Apps as shown below.
- Then, select Application Links.
Step 2: Create a New Link for the Bamboo Jira Integration
After you have navigated to the Application Links, you can follow the below-mentioned procedures to create a new link for the Bamboo Jira Integration.
- Go to the empty field on the page, and enter the URL of your Jira instance.
- Next, click on the Create new link tab below the URL field to begin the integration process.
Note: You have to be an admin on your Jira and Bamboo accounts to create a 2-way application link.
Step 3: Download the Bamboo Jira Plugin on your Server
In this step, you will have to download the Bamboo Jira Plugin on your server. You can follow the below-mentioned procedures.
- Fill all the dialogue boxes on the page with the correct information to complete your Bamboo Jira Integration. You can access the new application link on the Configure Application Links page on your Bamboo account as shown below.
- After integrating your Jira account with Bamboo, you’ll also have to download a Jira Bamboo plugin on your server. You can find the Jira Bamboo plugin on the Atlassian Plugin exchange.
With this, you have successfully set up your Bamboo Jira Integration. It’s as simple as that.
Key Benefits of Setting Up Bamboo Jira Integration
Some of the key benefits of setting up Bamboo Jira Integration include:
- While viewing software issues on your Jira development panel, you’ll be able to determine the status of the Bamboo build(s) related to the issue. You can access such apps with the Build result dialog feature on Jira.
- The development panel on Jira will also show you the deployment information for your Bamboo builds. Some of these details are the release date of the app, its deployment status, and the environment where the app was deployed. Click on Deployment Dialog in your Jira development app to reveal this information.
- Releasing a software version on Jira will automatically run the application in Bamboo.
Having learned the basics and functions of Bamboo and Jira as well as the benefits of integrating both platforms, you are ready to integrate your Bamboo and Jira. Log on to your Bamboo account, and follow the steps in this guide to link your Jira instance to your Bamboo account.Visit our Website to Explore Hevo
Businesses can use automated platforms like Hevo Data to set the integration and handle the ETL process. It helps you directly transfer data from Jira, Data Warehouse, Business Intelligence tools, or any other desired destination in a fully automated and secure manner without having to write any code and will provide you with a hassle-free experience.
Want to take Hevo for a spin? Sign Up for a 14-day free trial and experience the feature-rich Hevo suite first hand. You can also have a look at the unbeatable pricing that will help you choose the right plan for your business needs.
Share your experience of setting up Bamboo Jira Integration in the comments section below!