As organizations continue to rely on data to make key business decisions, they must establish a robust Data Management plan to ensure that data across their organization are handled consistently and not misused.
This process of managing the availability, integrity, and confidentiality of enterprise data is termed Data Governance. Effective Data Governance solution also helps businesses address data privacy and security issues that are increasingly taking center stage with rising data breaches over the past several years.
You can use robust Data Governance Tools to unify your data terms and definitions and make your Data Governance planning easier.
In this article, you will gain a better understanding of Data Governance software and its framework. You will also understand the need for Data Governance Tools. Moreover, this article provides the top 13 Data Governance Tools widely used in the industry.
What is Data Governance?
Everything you do to keep data safe, private, correct, accessible, and usable is referred to as Data Governance. It entails the activities that people must do, the processes that they must follow, and the technology that will help them along the data life cycle.
In simple terms, Data Governance refers to setting the internal standards, and data policies that apply to how data is received, kept, processed, and disposed of. It establishes who has access to what data and what data is subject to regulation. Compliance with external standards imposed by industry groups, government agencies, and other stakeholders is also part of Data Governance.
Enterprises’ Strategic, Tactical, and Operational levels are all impacted by Data Governance initiatives as shown in the image above. Data Governance activities must be considered as a continuous, iterative process to efficiently manage and use data in the context of the firm and in collaboration with other data projects.
Data Governance Framework
Data Governance strategies have become more popular over time, especially as the number of digital transformation initiatives has expanded. Several components should be included in Data Governance platforms including:
- Data Standards: To give clarity around business and data definitions, data dictionaries, taxonomies, and business glossaries should be created. This documentation clears out any ambiguity in discussions, especially when it comes to metrics and reporting. It also allows stakeholders to see the data architecture, allowing teams to innovate on their own to automate operations within their field.
- Data Processes and Organizational Structure: Data Governance access controls can enable end-users to see how data is processed inside an organization. This can include things like data refresh cadences, PII limitations, regulatory data regulations, or even data access. This form of documentation aids organizational structure by defining the tasks and responsibilities of various jobs concerning data administration and maintenance.
- Tools and Technologies: Data Governance Tools and technologies, such as metadata management systems, help to support data processes and standards. These technologies can be used to store and safeguard data that an organization oversees. It can also be integrated with self-service Data Analytics Tools, allowing Analysts to query and analyze various data sets for reporting and innovation initiatives.
Why Data Governance Tools?
Data Governance seeks to build policies that outline data ownership, responsibilities, and delegations. By developing standard data definitions and formats, the objective is to create a unified understanding of each silo of data in the system. Data Governance attempts to enable confident judgments based on reliable data assets. This is why Data Governance is so important for every business.
Within a company, Data Governance frameworks often inform and document the what, who, why, and how of data. It improves consistency and accessibility across the process when organizational data is organized and constrained by pre-defined rules and standards. Data Governance Tools assist in the creation and maintenance of an organized collection of policies, processes, and protocols that govern how data is stored, consumed, and managed in an organization.
What Key Features must have in Data Governance Tools?
- The aim of the records governance plan is to be clear. Business priorities and necessities need to be outlined. Based on this, agencies want to make clear which subsets of records governance they have already got and which of them they want. For example, the requirement may be to record fine equipment as a master records management (MDM) solution.
- It is crucial to be aware of who the number one customers of the records governance device will be. Will or not it be the commercial enterprise group trying to leverage records for decisions, or will it not be the IT group trying to optimize operations? It may also be records scientists.
- The contemporary statistics waft inside the business enterprise wishes to be analyzed. Based on this, the specified statistics governance device may be determined directly to be on-premise or cloud-based. The statistics governance crew wishes to take inventory of present integrations, the contemporary quantity of statistics, expectancies of scalability, and present connectors among diverse programs and services.
1000+ data teams rely on Hevo’s Data Pipeline Platform to integrate data from over 150+ sources in a matter of minutes. Billions of data events from sources as varied as SaaS apps, Databases, File Storage and Streaming sources can be replicated in near real-time with Hevo’s fault-tolerant architecture.
Get Started with Hevo for Free
Check out what makes Hevo amazing:
- Near Real-Time Replication -: Get access to near real-time replication on All Plans. Near Real-time via pipeline prioritization for Database Sources. For SaaS Sources, near real-time replication depend on API call limits.
- In-built Transformations – Format your data on the fly with Hevo’s preload transformations using either the drag-and-drop interface or our nifty python interface. Generate analysis-ready data in your warehouse using Hevo’s Postload Transformation.
- Monitoring and Observability-: Monitor pipeline health with intuitive dashboards that reveal every stat of the pipeline and data flow. Bring real-time visibility into your ETL with Alerts and Activity Logs.
- Reliability at Scale -: With Hevo, you get a world-class fault-tolerant architecture that scales with zero data loss and low latency.
- 24×7 Customer Support – With Hevo you get more than just a platform, you get a partner for your pipelines. Discover peace with round-the-clock “Live Chat” within the platform. What’s more, you get 24×7 support even during the 14-day free trial.
Hevo Data provides Transparent Pricing to bring complete visibility to your ETL spend. You can also choose a plan based on your business needs.
Simplify your Data Analysis with Hevo today!
SIGN UP HERE FOR A 14-DAY FREE TRIAL!
The use of proper Data Governance Tools is critical for successful and long-term Data Governance. Data Governance goals can be achieved more quickly and easily with the right tool. Some of the widely used Data Governance Tools are listed below:
1) Alation Data Catalog
The Alation Data Catalog offers users a single point of reference for numerous data sources, making it easier to identify and locate the information they want. The Alation data catalog is one of those data catalog tools which aids in the automation of Governance operations such as updating data dictionaries and training users about good Governance principles, as well as offering collaborative options for information sharing.
Price: On Request
Ataccama is a Platform-as-a-Service for self-driven Data Management and Governance. It makes data administration simple with AI-driven automated capabilities. With a “self-driving” strategy aimed to automate, increase efficiency, and convenience of use, Ataccama ONE automatically analyses data quality and classifies data to help firms prioritize and concentrate. All essential data assets can have security and privacy regulations automatically enforced, making data available to those who need it.
Price: On Request
Visit Ataccama Homepage to learn more.
Collibra is a Data governance tool for enterprises that automates data operations and keeps cross-functional teams on the same page. It provides Natural Language Search, Data Governance Automation, and Data Stewardship.
Users can use Collibra’s interactive data lineage diagrams to graphically understand data elements like regulations, problems, relationships, and flow. It has its own data catalog powered by Machine Learning, that can be connected to the business glossary and governance standards.
Price: On Request
4) SAP Master Data Governance
SAP Master Data Governance software(SAP MDG), is accessible on-premises or in the Cloud. It is developed to perform effective enterprise data management, decrease risk, improve compliance, and lower the total cost of ownership. SAP MDG consolidates master data and automates replication and syndication of master data throughout the system landscape. It also measures, monitors, and improves master data quality and workflows.
Price: On Request
Informatica offers a Data Governance platform and Compliance services. Its enterprise Data Governance solution is available in the Cloud or on-premise. It is the most tried-and-true solution, allowing business and IT to work together seamlessly.
Informatica creates a data catalog by scanning across many Cloud platforms automatically. It allows for data lineage tracking to be done automatically. It keeps track of data migration, from high-level system views to granular column-level lineage, and analyses the impact. Informatica dismantles silos and brings together IT, security, and business teams to guarantee that data is compliant with regulations such as GDPR (General Data Protection Legislation).
Price: On Request
OvalEdge is a Data Catalog and a cost-effective Data Governance solution. Companies can adapt the tool to meet their business demands due to its agile architecture. OvalEdge also uses algorithms and user inputs to illustrate relationships between your data, giving you a 360 degree of your data.
Data lineage tracking aids in the tracking of data from beginning to finish, as well as any anomalies that may have happened along the process. Using a business dictionary, OvalEdge allows you to create data quality and data definition guidelines. You can also assign roles and responsibilities using OvalEdge’s policy controls.
Price: 100$/month, annually, for the starter pack.
7) IBM Data Governance
IBM Data Governance assists you in locating data objects, as well as their physical location, definition, attributes, and application. It works with both structured and unstructured data. It can assist you in reducing compliance risks.
IBM Data Governance offers features such as a flexible Data Governance plan, Data Cataloging, and acquiring valuable data for Big Data initiatives. It also enables privacy and security features, such as the ability to secure personally identifiable information, predictive consumer intelligence, and personal health data.
- Lite Version: Free
- Standard: $300 per instance, with $0.50 per capacity unit-hour and $50 for each extra user.
- Professional: $7,000 per instance, with $0.40 per capacity unit-hour and $300 per extra user.
Atlan’s data workspace platform supports Data cataloging, Data Quality, Data Lineage, and Governance. For developing a shared understanding of data, the software includes a Google-like Search interface, automated Data Profiling, and a searchable Business Lexicon. No matter where your data flows, users can manage bandwidth utilization and adoption throughout an ecosystem using granular Governance and access restrictions.
Price: On Request
erwin combines Data Governance, Enterprise Architecture, Business Process, and Data Modeling into one software platform. By linking physical metadata to particular business terminology, it allows customers to locate and harvest data, as well as arrange and deploy data sources. erwin can assess complicated lineages spanning systems and use cases by importing information from data integration tools and cloud-based platforms.
Price: On Request
10) Alex Solutions
Alex’s technology-agnostic data catalog is available as a full Cloud or hybrid solution. It prides itself on its low total cost of ownership, embracing automation from the start to boost productivity and scalability. Alex is focused on simplicity of deployment across many use cases as a single, out-of-the-box platform.
It can harvest and ingest metadata from a variety of platforms, both on-premises and in the cloud, and supports connectors for all major cloud providers. Alex’s automatic data lineage capability allows users to quickly alter the context between business, user, application, and technology lineages with only a few clicks.
Price: On Request
11) ASG technologies
ASG Technologies, a subsidiary of Rocket Software, describes ASG Data Intelligence as a restoration for “statistics distrust.” As the corporation notes, tons of the wealth of statistics created and accrued regularly is going unused due to commercial enterprise managers, statistics scientists and different cease customers both can not discover it or do not apprehend and agree with it. ASG DI, because the device is thought for short, ambitions to assist corporations to deal with troubles thru hard and fast metadata management, statistics lineage, and statistics governance capabilities.
Price: On Request
12) Apache Atlas
Apache Atlas is amongst the best data governance tools. It is an open-source tool that is built upon a foundational set of metadata control and information governance talents for businesses with information-extensive platforms. It’s ordinarily designed to be used in Hadoop clusters. However, it is able to additionally trade metadata with gear and procedures out of doors in the Hadoop atmosphere to permit integration with different structures for analytics applications.
Price: Open Source
13) Data360 Govern
Data360 Govern, which is owned by Precisely, is also one of the best low-cost data governance tools. The tool offers real-time monitoring of information and helps numerous enterprise procedures and effects to assist businesses in meeting their enterprise goals, with dashboards and reviews that may be custom designed to give customized insights. It additionally automates information governance workflows, metadata harvesting, and the uploading of information nice rankings from the partner Data360 DQ+ software program and different information nice gear from Precisely or rival vendors.
Price: On Request
Choosing the right Data Governance Tools for your Data Governance framework should be done after understanding your own Data Governance strategy’s objectives and goals.
What are the Key Benefits of Data Governance Tools?
As data and apps have grown more important to businesses, Data Governance Tools and Technologies have become more important to ensure the integrity of data assets. Let’s have a look at some of the benefits of Data Governance Tools.
- Creates a Standardized View: In business terminology and concepts, inconsistencies are common as various users employ different phrases to describe the same concept. Hence, a business dictionary is included in Data Governance Tools to guarantee that all terminology is standardized and that everyone is on the same page.
- Effectively Collaborate Business Information: Data Governance Tools organizes all of a company’s data into an easy-to-navigate data catalog, allowing people with the appropriate rights to view and collaborate on data in minutes. This is accomplished through self-service, hence, reducing the workload on data teams.
- Increased Data Literacy and Understanding: Everyone in your organization must be data literate to leverage data assets to make better business choices if you want to succeed as a data-driven firm. A Data Governance Tool is a simple platform that allows corporate users to locate and collaborate on data assets. As practically every operation can be completed through self-service, this allows users to become more literate while also relieving the burden on data teams.
- Compliance and Regulation: Every sector has its own set of rules, and non-compliance with these regulations may result in hefty penalties. Hence, Data Governance Tools ensure compliance with regulations while also safeguarding security and privacy.
In this article, you learned about Data Governance and understood the need for Data Governance Tools. You explored the best Data Governance Tools in the market. At the end of this article, you learned the various benefits offered by Data Governance Tools.
However, extracting complex data from a diverse set of data sources like Databases, CRMs, Project management Tools, Streaming Services, and Marketing Platforms can be quite challenging. This is where a simpler alternative like Hevo can save your day!
Hevo Data is a No-Code Data Pipeline that offers a faster way to move data from 150+ sources, into your Data Warehouse to be visualized in a BI tool. Hevo is fully automated and hence does not require you to code.
VISIT OUR WEBSITE TO EXPLORE HEVO
Want to take Hevo for a spin?
SIGN UP and experience the feature-rich Hevo suite first hand. You can also have a look at the unbeatable pricing that will help you choose the right plan for your business needs.
Share your experience with Data Governance Tools in the comments section below!