Jira Software is primarily used for Project Management, Bug Tracking, and Issue Tracking. A Jira dashboard consists of various useful features and functions which simplify the process of handling issues. With Jira, you can organize, plan, track, and manage all your Agile software development projects in a single place. Trusted by over 36,000 websites worldwide, Jira is used to offer better prioritization, visibility, and increased productivity for project managers and teams.
This blog talks about the different aspects of Jira Asset Management in great detail. It also gives a brief introduction to Jira before eliciting the numerous aspects of Jira Asset Management.
Table of Contents
Introduction to Jira
Jira is a software development tool introduced by the Australian Company Atlassian in 2002. This tool is widely used for planning, tracking issues, project management, and releasing the best software. The original name is inherited from the word “Gojira” which means “Godzilla” in Japanese. Written in Java language, Jira software is available to users in four different packages, including Jira work management, Jira Software, Jira Align, and Jira Service Management. The main purpose of introducing Jira was to track bugs and issues found in software and Mobile Applications. Software Development, Project and Product Management, Task Management, Test case management are a few additional benefits of using Jira software.
With the rise in the agile development methodology in the software companies, Atlassian initiated the expansion of the Jira platform to various teams and groups. Currently, many non-technical teams use the software tool as a project-management tool, software development teams for product management, tracking bugs, and managing software development tasks, and lastly, IT teams for change management and issue tracking.
Here are a few key features of Jira that make it an indispensable tool:
- The Agile Development feature helps in the smooth utilization of Scrum, Kanban, and hybrid methods.
- It enables tracking of ongoing projects at any stage.
- Supports remote teams.
- Provides project statistics and reports to add more visibility to different situations.
- Easy to create bug’s security level.
- Supports Great Product Integrations.
- Provides roadmaps to plan stories across various sprints.
Introduction to Asset Management
Asset management is a process to keep an account of assets, deploy, maintain, upgrade, and eliminate the company’s assets as per the business requirement. The assets are classified into fixed and current assets depending on their time of use. Many applications help in managing the assets of a firm or organization on behalf of individuals or other entities. These asset management apps enable administrators to keep track and link assets to issues. Further, guarantee the accuracy, identification, and management of any associated risk. Also, they help keep track of lost or damaged assets and eliminate it from the company’s inventory.
From managing inventory to supporting users, there are many roles under an IT organization that can be tedious and challenging. So, many companies started looking for effective asset management apps that can save extra costs and benefit the company in many ways.
Key Features of Asset Management
- Inventory Management: Useful for warehousing operations and effective Asset Lifecycle Management.
- Asset Check-in and Check-out: Helps to track whereabouts of assets.
- Maintenance Management: Provides regular maintenance of the Company’s assets.
- Work Order Management: Provides visibility to the team and centralizes work requests.
- Asset Discovery: identification of all assets in the same network.
Importance of Jira Asset Management
- It helps keep track of all Company assets.
- Regular asset management checking guarantees proper recording of financial statements.
- Prepares a company to identify and manage risks beforehand.
- It helps eliminate lost or damaged assets in the company’s inventory.
A fully managed No-code Data Pipeline platform like Hevo helps you integrate and load data from 100+ different sources (including 40+ free sources like Jira) to a destination of your choice in real-time in an effortless manner. Hevo with its minimal learning curve can be set up in just a few minutes allowing the users to load data without having to compromise performance. Its strong integration with umpteenth sources allows users to bring in data of different kinds in a smooth fashion without having to code a single line.
Get Started with Hevo for Free
Check out some of the cool features of Hevo:
Sign up here for a 14-Day Free Trial!
- Completely Automated: The Hevo platform can be set up in just a few minutes and requires minimal maintenance.
- Transformations: Hevo provides preload transformations through Python code. It also allows you to run transformation code for each event in the pipelines you set up. You need to edit the event object’s properties received in the transform method as a parameter to carry out the transformation. Hevo also offers drag and drop transformations like Date and Control Functions, JSON, and Event Manipulation to name a few. These can be configured and tested before putting them to use.
- Connectors: Hevo supports 100+ integrations to SaaS platforms, files, databases, analytics, and BI tools. It supports various destinations including Google BigQuery, Amazon Redshift, Snowflake Data Warehouses; Amazon S3 Data Lakes; and MySQL, SQL Server, TokuDB, DynamoDB, PostgreSQL databases to name a few.
- Real-Time Data Transfer: Hevo provides real-time data migration, so you can have analysis-ready data always.
- 100% Complete & Accurate Data Transfer: Hevo’s robust infrastructure ensures reliable data transfer with zero data loss.
- Scalable Infrastructure: Hevo has in-built integrations for 100+ sources (Including 40+ free sources such as Jira), that can help you scale your data infrastructure as required.
- 24/7 Live Support: The Hevo team is available round the clock to extend exceptional support to you through chat, email, and support calls.
- Schema Management: Hevo takes away the tedious task of schema management & automatically detects the schema of incoming data and maps it to the destination schema.
- Live Monitoring: Hevo allows you to monitor the data flow so you can check where your data is at a particular point in time.
Steps to Use Insights for Jira Asset Management
Insights help add more value and allow to automate, report, find and showcase asset data. Before implementation, it is best to find what assets you want to track and their information. To make it easy for the administrators to configure Insight for Jira Asset Management, we have listed a few steps:
Jira Asset Management Insights: Object Schema Creation
Object Schema represents a collection of objects and their types, attributes, references. It also includes additional information, such as roles, statuses, icons, automation rules. It permits the administrator to structure and organize information for maximum productivity in a better way. One can access N number of object schemas, each comprising various object types.
For creating one, go to Insight Object Schemas Overview and click on the Create Object Schema button.
Jira Asset Management Insights: Object Types Creation
It is a similar group comprising objects and their information. There can be various objects, but similar object types will contain the same type of information. For instance, computers, location, roles, vendors are a few examples of object types.
For creating one, visit the object schema. Choose the object and press the Object Type button. Further, click on the Create options.
Jira Asset Management Insights: Focus on Attribute Creation
Attributes represent unique information related to the object. There can be different attributes for each object which can be further customized to the object type.
For instance, under an employee object type, you may create attributes such as “name”, “role”, “address”, and “phone number”.
To create one of the attributes, select the object type and click on the Attribute button. Attributes list will display on your screen for the selected object type. Now, create one or edit the existing attributes visible on the display screen.
Jira Asset Management Insights: Generating References between Object Types
An attribute type that permits the administrators to save/store a link in various objects. This feature helps build a connection between various interrelated objects and further enables sharing data across them.
For instance, the employee object links with the role they have worked as a reference. As a result, you have access to their laptop, host, and file systems the employees maintain.
Jira Asset Management Insights: Insight Custom Field Creation
You may find different types of Insight custom fields and options to configure them under the Jira server insights. The object, object types are a few fields that are essential to link Insight assets with Jira issues.
Jira Asset Management Insights: Manual Object Creation
Under insights, you have full access to manually create objects or import data from other sources with the help of in-built imports. You may also use Insight’s free integration apps to import data.
Steps to Install a Jira Asset Management App
Let’s take an example. Are you in the IT department and manage hardware like monitors, computers, etc. In this section, we will highlight how to track inventory using a barcode reader. Follow the below-listed steps to install inventory in JIRA to find your assets.
- Step 1: Start with creating a project in Jira. Select a project type, for example, simple issue tracking for managing inventory.
- Step 2: Decide the inventory class you are willing to track. In this case, we will focus on creating an issue type for office hardware, including computer, monitor, and software.
- Step 3: Begin adding custom fields to each asset type. Select the issue type, press the admin in the top menu, and press the ‘add field’ button from the drop-down list.
- Step 4: Configure how users interact with fields by creating, viewing, and editing issue-type screens. Click the ‘create’ button, and the “create screen” pops up for that issue type.
- Step 5: Lastly, enable permissions and security to safeguard your data. If you want to restrict asset editing to a specific department, go to edit permissions and choose to browse the inventory to edit issues in the asset management project. Similarly, to check inventories assigned to users, create custom security levels with issue security schemes.
Jira is a trusted software that is free to open-source projects for a few organizations that meet certain criteria. The software comprises a wide range of functionalities and further supports permissions and encryption in transit and at rest to safeguard your data. It is one of the best software exercised by many corporations to manage, report, track, resolve bugs and manage team coordination in agile software development. Follow the above-listed steps to Use Insight for Jira Asset Management and install the application.
Hevo Data, a No-code Data Pipeline provides you with a consistent and reliable solution to manage data transfer between a variety of sources and a wide variety of Desired Destinations with a few clicks.
Visit our Website to Explore Hevo
Hevo Data with its strong integration with 100+ data sources (including 40+ Free Sources such as Jira) allows you to not only export data from your desired data sources & load it to the destination of your choice but also transform & enrich your data to make it analysis-ready. Hevo also allows integrating data from non-native sources using Hevo’s in-built Webhooks Connector. You can then focus on your key business needs and perform insightful analysis using BI tools.
Want to give Hevo a try?
Sign Up for a 14-day free trial and experience the feature-rich Hevo suite first hand. You may also have a look at the amazing price, which will assist you in selecting the best plan for your requirements.