Software Development is a tedious process that involves Planning, Execution, Testing, and Reviewing. Furthermore, your stakeholders could impose time restrictions which makes things rough. This is where a Project Management tool like Jira comes to your aid. Jira is a popular Project Management tool mainly used for planning, tracking, and managing a Software Development project. On the other hand, Bitbucket is a Git Repository Management tool that helps you keep track of your code, handle pull and push requests seamlessly. You can integrate Jira with Bitbucket to enhance its features.
Jira Bitbucket Integration is one of the powerful Integration to track bugs within your code. With Jira Bitbucket Integration, you can seamlessly review your code, find bugs, report any issues, or track the issue status without halting the background development. It is an excellent way to save time while developing any software.
This article will introduce you to Jira and Bitbucket. It will also introduce you to their key features and how they are important tools for your business. It will further provide you with a comprehensive guide that will help you manually set up Jira Bitbucket Integration.
Table of Contents
- Introduction to Jira
- Introduction to Bitbucket
- Methods to Set Up Jira Bitbucket Integration
- Benefits of Jira Bitbucket Integration
- Limitations of Jira Bitbucket Integration
Listed below are the prerequisites of Jira Bitbucket Integration:
- A Jira account with admin access.
- A Bitbucket account with admin access.
- Basic understanding of Version Control and Git.
Introduction to Jira
Jira is a Work Management tool by Atlassian that helps you and your team to manage all kinds of use cases (from requirements to agile software development). It supports various agile methodologies like Scrum, Kanban, or any other tailor-made/unique to your business model.
Jira is a one-stop tool for Project Management, Requirements & Test Case Management, Software Development, Product Management, and Task Management. Moreover, it is very easy to use Jira for your business. You can follow the simple steps given below to start working with Jira as a Work Management tool for your business:
- Log in to your Jira account and select the “Create Project” option.
- Choose a suitable template for your project from the library. Also, set up the necessary columns from the Board setting.
- Create an issue and invite your team members.
That’s it. You can now start working with your team members on the project.
Key Features of Jira
Listed below are some of the key features of Jira:
- Kanban and Scrum Boards: Kanban and Scrum are the widely used Agile Methodologies. Jira provides pre-built dashboards for both methodologies. You can even customize these dashboards as per your business requirements. These are highly flexible, interactive, and secure.
- Reporting Features: With Jira, you can create comprehensive reports. You can use these reports for various purposes like to show the amount of work done that has been completed in a sprint, a Business Intelligence report, etc.
- Jira Workflow: It is one of the prominent features of Jira. With Jira Workflow, you can create a complete project timeline (from gathering requirements to final deployment. You can also assign tasks to your team members and track their progress. Jira Workflow is highly flexible i.e. you can change the timeline of the project as per your business requirements.
For more information on Jira, click here.
Introduction to Bitbucket
Bitbucket, in simple terms, is a Cloud-based Git Repository Management solution that helps you store and manage your code. Moreover, with Bitbucket, you can not only keep track of changes made to your code but also control these changes. It provides a central hub for all your repositories. You can easily access and handle your repositories using Bitbucket.
Key Features of Bitbucket
Listed below are some of the key features of Bitbucket:
- Continuous Code Review: Bitbucket provides you with a continuous code review system that helps you review the code before merging it with the main branch. It also helps you add multiple reviewers to the chain to speed up the process.
- Access Control: It provides you granular lever access control i.e. you can ensure and control the access of your repositories. You can make sure that the right person is having access to specific repositories. Furthermore, Bitbucket follows specific Authentication and Authorization protocols becoming giving access to any person.
- Easy Integration: It is very easy to integrate Bitbucket with Continous Integration/Continous Delivery (CI/CD) tools like Jira, etc. This helps you enhance the features of Bitbucket such as bug reporting, tracking the issue status, etc.
For more information on Bitbucket, click here.
Simplify Team Collaboration using Hevo’s No-code Data Pipeline
Hevo Data, a No-code Data Pipeline helps to Load Data from any data source such as Databases, SaaS applications, Cloud Storage, SDKs, and Streaming Services and simplifies the ETL process. It supports 100+ data sources (including free data sources like Jira, etc.) and is a 3-step process by just selecting the data source, providing valid credentials, and choosing the destination. Hevo loads the data onto the desired Data Warehouse, enriches the data, and transforms it into an analysis-ready form without writing a single line of code.
Its completely automated pipeline offers data to be delivered in real-time without any loss from source to destination. Its fault-tolerant and scalable architecture ensure that the data is handled in a secure, consistent manner with zero data loss and supports different forms of data. The solutions provided are consistent and work with different Business Intelligence (BI) tools as well.Get Started with Hevo for free
Check out why Hevo is the Best:
- Secure: Hevo has a fault-tolerant architecture that ensures that the data is handled securely and consistently with zero data loss.
- Schema Management: Hevo takes away the tedious task of schema management & automatically detects the schema of incoming data and maps it to the destination schema.
- Minimal Learning: Hevo, with its simple and interactive UI, is extremely simple for new customers to work on and perform operations.
- Hevo Is Built To Scale: As the number of sources and your data volume grows, Hevo scales horizontally, handling millions of records per minute with very little latency.
- Incremental Data Load: Hevo allows the transfer of data that has been modified in real-time. This ensures efficient utilization of bandwidth on both ends.
- Live Support: The Hevo team is available round the clock to extend exceptional support to its customers through chat, email, and support calls.
- Live Monitoring: Hevo allows you to monitor the data flow and check where your data is at a particular point in time.
Methods to Set Up Jira Bitbucket Integration
Now that you have a basic understanding of Jira and Bitbucket, let’s set up Jira Bitbucket Integration. In this section, you will be setting up Jira Bitbucket Integration using “Application Links”. You can set up Application Links by 2 methods:
- Jira Bitbucket Integration: During Bitbucket Installation
- Jira Bitbucket Integration: After Bitbucket Installation
Let’s walk through both these methods one-by-one
Jira Bitbucket Integration: During Bitbucket Installation
Follow the steps below to set up Jira Bitbucket Integration during the Bitbucket Installation:
Step 1: Configure Jira Application Options
Follow the steps below to configure Jira application options:
- Log in to your Jira account and click on the Settings Icon > System.
- Select General Configuration > Edit Settings and set the values as given in this link.
- Once done, click on the “Update” button.
Step 2: Connect to Jira
Run the Bitbucket Setup Wizard and click on the “Integrate with Jira” button when you reach that part of the installation. Once clicked, you will be asked for the following information:
- Jira Base URL: This is the URL of the Jira server that you want to integrate with Bitbucket. For example, http://jira.sample.com
- Jira Username: This is the Jira admin username. Only the admin username will work here.
- Jira Password: This is the password of the Jira admin account.
- Bitbucket Server Base URL: The Bitbucket URL that you will provide here will override the base URL of Bitbucket. Jira will use the Bitbucket Server Base URL to access your Bitbucket instance.
Click on “Connect” when you are done and finish the setup process as shown in the image below.
Jira Bitbucket Integration: After Bitbucket Installation
Follow the steps below to set up Jira Bitbucket Integration after Bitbucket Installation:
- Step 1: Start the Application Link Wizard
- Step 2: Enter the Jira Base URL
- Step 3: Complete the Application Link Wizard
Step 1: Log in to your Bitbucket Account
Log in to your Bitbucket account. Under Settings, click on “Application Links”.
Step 2: Enter the Jira Base URL
Enter the Jira Base URL that you want to integrate with Bitbucket. Click on the “Click New Link” button when you are done.
Step 3: Complete the Application Link Wizard
Finish the Application Link wizard. This will conclude the Jira Bitbucket Integration.
NOTE: Select “Automatic Link-Back” for 2-way Jira Bitbucket Integration. You will need System Admin global permission for using that feature.
That’s it! You have successfully set up Jira Bitbucket Integration using the Application Link.
Benefits of Jira Bitbucket Integration
Listed below are some of the benefits of Jira Bitbucket Integration:
- With Jira Bitbucket Integration, all your Bitbucket repositories automatically sync with Jira. This allows you to track your repositories and the progress made by your team.
- Jira Bitbucket Integration notifies everyone in your team regarding any updates, issues that have been deployed, the success rate of the code deployment, etc. This helps everyone in the team to stay updated and on the same page. Moreover, it also provides real-time deployment status to everyone in the team.
- It provides you the ability to view and create branches and at the same time pull requests and view commits made in your Bitbucket repository. You can perform all these activities inside the Jira Issue Development Panel.
Limitations of Jira Bitbucket Integration
Listed below are some of the limitations of Jira Bitbucket Integration:
- Jira Bitbucket Integration is a Manual Integration process and therefore demands technical proficiency in this field.
- Jira Bitbucket Integration is not autonomous which makes it an extremely tedious process. Every time you create a repository in Bitbucket, you need to link it with Jira. Else you would not be able to use Jira features in that particular repository.
- Most people are more familiar with GitHub when compared to Bitbucket. Therefore it takes time and effort for any developer to adapt to a new interface. This can be a problematic situation when you have to deliver software in a limited time frame.
The article introduced you to Jira and Bitbucket. It also introduced you to the key features of both the tools and how they can come in handy for your business. Furthermore, it provided a comprehensive guide that can help you while manually setting up Jira Bitbucket Integration. It had provided 2 different methods to successfully set up Jira Bitbucket Integration.
With the complexity involved in Manual Integration, businesses are leaning towards Automated Integration. It is hassle-free, easy to operate, and does not require any technical background. In such a case Hevo Data is the right choice for you!Visit our Website to Explore Hevo
Want to take Hevo for a spin? Sign Up for a 14-day free trial and experience the feature-rich Hevo suite first hand.
Share your experience of setting up Jira Bitbucket Integration in the comments section below!