As a business grows, the number of employees, departments, and projects also scale up in a similar fashion. With the growing number of teams such as Product Development, Marketing, Finance, HR, etc., Management and collaboration among these become a cumbersome task. For continuous development, an effective Management tool is needed which automates this process and boosts productivity.
Jira is a one-for-all tool that helps in Software development, Agile Project Management, Bug Tracking, Content Management, Operations, Marketing, and much more. It simplifies your task Management with its visual Kanban Boards as well as helps you collaborate with different colleagues on various projects. You can create Jira Custom Reports and Interactive Dashboards to keep a tab on all the activities and work assigned to you and check the progress of the Ongoing team projects.
In this article, you will learn how to create insightful Jira Custom Reports and Dashboards that will help you track all your business activities.
Table of Contents
Introduction to Jira
Jira is a one-stop solution for all your Project Management needs. It was initially a Bug Tracking tool for software development which has now evolved as an Issue Tracking and Agile Project Management Software. It is developed by the Leading Australian Software giant Atlassian who specializes in software products for Project Managers and Software Development Teams.
Depending upon different use cases Jira has come up with three main products, namely:
- Jira Core: Jira Core is preferred by teams from Finance, Marketing, Legal, and Operations department for General purpose Project Tracking and Dashboard reporting of task progress.
- Jira Software: It is generally used by Software Engineers, DevOps Teams, Testing Teams, and Technical Managers for Software Development, Kanban Boards, issues, and Sprints (a short span of time for completing specific tasks) reporting.
- Jira Service Management: It is a portal for customers, employees, and Helpdesk Agents used for Tracking Service Level Agreement (SLA) metrics, Problem Management and also acts as a Knowledge Base for Customers.
With constant improvement and development, Jira, now offers some of the most intuitive features:
- Scrum and Kanban Boards: These visually appealing boards display what tasks are lined up, who is working on which project, and what is the current status of a particular task. These boards help in increasing collaboration among teams and promote interaction and discussion.
- Interactive Dashboards and Reports: With a collection of insightful Reports and Dashboards, you can stay updated with the team’s progress and take actions accordingly. Different options and settings are available to configure and even create Jira Custom Reports that suit your Business Requirements.
- User-Friendly Interface: From the very beginning of working with Jira, you get clear and simple instructions at each step so that you can navigate through anywhere in the software and quickly set up your work with ease.
- Scalable and Customizable: Jira is flexible and scales up according to your growing business needs. With Custom Workflows, you can design your work based on your style.
- Free Unlimited Support: Jira Experts provide constant support and answer all your queries regularly.
You can find more in-depth documentation about these features on the official Jira website.
Hevo Data, a No-code Data Pipeline helps to transfer data from 100+data Sources (Including 30+ Free Sources) like Jira to a Data Warehouse/Destination of your choice to visualize it in your desired BI tool. Hevo is fully managed and completely automates the process of not only loading data from your desired source but also enriching the data and transforming it into an analysis-ready form without having to write a single line of code. Its fault-tolerant architecture ensures that the data is handled in a secure, consistent manner with zero data loss.
It provides a consistent & reliable solution to manage data in real-time and always have analysis-ready data in your desired destination. It allows you to focus on key business needs and perform insightful analysis using a BI tool of your choice.
Get Started with Hevo for Free
Check out what makes Hevo amazing:
Get Started with Hevo for Free
- Secure: Hevo has a Fault-Tolerant Architecture that ensures that the data is handled in a secure, consistent manner with zero data loss.
- Schema Management: Hevo takes away the tedious task of schema Management & automatically detects schema of incoming data and maps it to the destination schema.
- Minimal Learning: Hevo with its simple and interactive UI, is extremely simple for new customers to work on and perform operations.
- Hevo Is Built To Scale: As the number of sources and the volume of your data grows, Hevo scales horizontally, handling millions of records per minute with very little latency.
- Incremental Data Load: Hevo allows the transfer of data that has been modified in real-time. This ensures efficient utilization of bandwidth on both ends.
- Live Support: The Hevo team is available round the clock to extend exceptional support to its customers through chat, email, and support calls.
- Live Monitoring: Hevo allows you to monitor the data flow and check where your data is at a particular point in time.
- A Jira account with Admin Privileges.
- Working knowledge of Jira.
Steps to Create Custom Jira Dashboards
Jira’s Default Dashboard may not always be satisfactory for your team, as you work across different use cases. Thus, Jira provides you with a list of modifications that you can do to customize the Dashboard. Before designing a new Dashboard, make sure that you have admin privileges.
Follow these simple steps for a personalized Jira Dashboard:
- Step 1: Click on the Dashboards option, present in the panel on the left.
- Step 2: Click on the Three Dots option, present in the top right corner and select Create Dashboard as shown in the red box.
- Step 3: A description box will now appear, fill in the Name, Description and select who can Access this Dashboard.
- Step 4: Hit Save.
- Step 5: After this, you can click on Add Gadget to introduce useful metrics in your Dashboard.
- Step 6: A list of Gadgets will appear from which you can select the one you like and you are all set with a brand new Jira Dashboard.
You can get more detailed information about how to work with Jira Gadgets here.
Steps to Set up Jira Custom Reports
Jira offers a diverse set of intuitive products, out of which, here you’ll come across creating Jira Custom Reports for the two most popular Jira platforms:
A) Building Custom Reports in Jira Software
There are four types of standard Jira Custom Reports:
- Agile Reports: These reports provide you with an overview and help you monitor the business performance. Jira houses 9 such Standard Reports namely Burndown Chart, Sprint Chart, Velocity Chart, Cumulative Flow Diagram, Version Report, Epic Report, Control Chart, Epic Burn Down, and Release Burn Down.
- Issue Analysis Reports: These default reports track bugs; when a bug was created and resolved, pending issues, etc. There are 7 such Reports namely Average Age Report, Created Vs Resolved Issue Report, Pie Chart Report, Recently Created Issue Report, Resolution Time Report, Single Level Group by Report, and Time Since Issues Report.
- Forecast and Management Report: This includes Time Tracking Report, User Workload Report, and Version Workload Report.
You can construct Jira Custom Reports from any of the above by changing the configuration settings for that particular report. For example, for building Jira Custom Reports for the Control Chart Template, you can implement the following steps:
- Step 1: Navigate to Reports on the left side menu.
- Step 2: A list of charts and reports will appear, Select Control Chart.
- Step 3: Different Customization options are available below the graph.
- Step 4: Select Time Period, and refine your Jira Custom Reports with the filters provided.
You can export these reports from Jira to Excel for more customization
B) Building Custom Reports in Jira Service Management
Jira Service Management (Previously known as Jira Service Desk) specializes in Bug Tracking and is an excellent Ticketing (requests or issues raised by customers) Tool. Along with the default reports, there is a flexible Jira Custom Reports option available to design your desired report.
To fabricate these Jira Custom Reports, follow the easy steps given below:
- Step 1: Go to Reports on the left vertical menu for your particular Service project.
- Step 2: Click on the New Report option and add the Name for it. In this example, let’s choose Customer Satisfaction to understand the average user ratings.
- Step 3: Select the Add Series option, found in the top right Corner.
- Step 4: Now, enter the Details for the New Series as follows:
Series = Average rating
Label = Bugs
Filter by (advanced) = issuetype = "Bug"
- Step 5: Choose the colour of the graph appropriate for your Series data.
- Step 6: Click on Add.
- Step 7: The Filter by field is currently set to Advanced Search which uses Jira Query Language (JQL). You can go back to basic Filter by Selecting the Basic option on the right side of the Filter by Box.
- Step 8: You can also add different factors for comparison like feedback, support, or adding a new feature to check customer behaviour. To do this, add the following data:
Series = Average rating
Label = Feedback
Filter by (advanced) = issuetype = "Feedback"
Series = Average rating
Label = Support
Filter by (advanced) = issuetype = "Support"
Series = Average rating
Label = New feature
Filter by (advanced) = issuetype = "New feature"
These Jira Custom Reports will now help you see which parameter is crucial to the customer.
Limitations of Jira Custom Reports and Dashboards
Jira as an application has been a leading solution for Bug Tracking in the Software Development industry. However, while using Jira Custom Reports and Dashboards you may come across a few obstacles:
- Agile Reports and Forecast & Management Reports both support a limited number of settings/configurations to create Jira Custom Reports. Creating and customizing them from scratch is not currently possible.
- In some use cases, you might want to combine columns from two reports and make a single Custom Report. Presently, you can only do that by exporting these Jira Custom Reports to Microsoft Excel and editing there.
- With only basic integration capabilities with other popular applications used in businesses, syncing and combining your data with other data sources and visualizing it in a single report can be an issue.
In this blog, you learned how to construct a custom Jira Dashboard so that you can keep yourself aware of the project progress from start to finish. From a step-by-step method, you now know how to design Jira Custom Reports that will help you interpret and picture different metrics crucial for gradual growth. With all these insightful visuals from Jira Custom Reports, you get to know what is the current project status and what needs to be done to achieve the decided goals.
Industries like Healthcare, Finance, Marketing have been using Jira because of its robust workflow engine and effortless Team Onboarding process. Though when used at such a large scale where the data is doubling every day at an astounding rate, Handling and Customising the Exported Agile reports in Excel can be quite a challenge. Also, integrating these Jira Custom Reports with data from other platforms used in different departments would require an exceptional engineering bandwidth, to write custom code and develop integrations. All of this can be comfortably solved by using a Cloud-Based ETL tool like Hevo Data.
Visit our Website to Explore Hevo
Hevo Data, a No-code Data Pipeline helps you transfer data from various data sources like Jira into a Data Warehouse, Databases, SaaS platforms or a Destination of your Choice to be visualized in a BI Tool. This streamlines all your data integration problems and saves your valuable engineering bandwidth which now can be utilized in activities like Bug Resolving, Customer Satisfaction, etc. This is a fully automated and Secure Real-Time process that doesn’t require you to write any code!
Hevo with its strong integration with 100+ sources & BI tools (Including 30+ Free Sources) such as Jira allows you to not only extract data from your desired data sources & load it to the destination of your choice but also transform & enrich your data to make it analysis-ready so that you can focus on your key business needs and generate Insightful Custom Reports using BI tools.
Want to take Hevo for a spin? Sign Up for a 14-day free trial and experience the feature-rich Hevo suite first hand. You can also have a look at our unbeatable pricing that will help you choose the right plan for your business needs!
Share with us your experience of creating Jira Custom Reports and Dashboards. Let us know in the comments section below!