Project Management is an essential task in any organization. The organization will always have different types of projects in progress. A good example of a project is a software development project. When working on such a project, multiple developers will need to collaborate on it and steer it towards completion. This will involve numerous activities that need to be performed during the development of the project. Some of these activities include communication between the team members, tracking bugs and issues, assigning roles, tracking the amount of work done, tracking the remaining work, etc.
The process of managing all these activities can be cumbersome if done manually. The teams find it much easier if the process is automated by leveraging tools like Jira, a Project Management software developed by Atlassian. Companies can use the Jira software to manage all projects they’re working on.
In this article, you will gain information about Jira Microsoft Teams Integration. You will also gain a holistic understanding of Jira, Microsoft Teams, their key features, and the steps involved in setting up Jira Microsoft Teams Integration. Read along to find out in-depth information about Jira Microsoft Teams Integration.
Table of Contents
- Introduction to Jira
- Introduction to Microsoft Teams
- Key Features of Jira Microsoft Teams Integration
- Setting up Jira Microsoft Teams Integration
Introduction to Jira
Jira is a one-stop shop for all of your Project Management requirements. It started as a Software Development bug tracking tool and now has matured into an issue tracking and Agile Project Management software. It was created by Atlassian, a leading Australian software company that specializes in software products for software development teams.
The Jira dashboard has a lot of handy features and capabilities that make dealing with issues a breeze. Jira, on the other hand, has evolved into a robust task management solution for a number of use cases, ranging from requirements and test case management to agile software development. The Jira family of products assists teams in effectively managing their work. The Jira Product Suite is designed for a variety of teams, including IT, Operations, Software, Business, and others.
Jira’s software is offered as a cloud-hosted SaaS i.e. Jira Cloud as well as a self-managed solution i.e. Jira Server. Jira Cloud is designed for speed and ease of use, whereas Jira Server offers more autonomy and customizable options. Jira’s cost is fairly affordable for small teams, but it skyrockets as the number of users grows.
Key Features of Jira
Jira is one of the most popular projects management tools among developers, due to its amazing features. Let’s explore some of the key features that Jira offers:
- Agile Project Management
- Workflow Customization
- Robust Integration Support
- Rich Toolkit for Developers
- Enterprise-Grade Security Control
- Mobile Apps
1) Agile Project Management
All of the features of Scrum Boards and Kanban Boards may be used seamlessly with Jira. Jira also has a variety of reporting tools, such as Burn-down/up Charts, Sprint Reports, and Velocity Charts, that allow teams to monitor their progress in real-time. You may use Jira’s Agile Roadmaps to plan long-term project initiatives, identify bottlenecks, and improve your Project Workflow.
2) Workflow Customization
Jira can be customized to fulfill any requirement, whether it’s for Project Management, Issue Tracking, or Task Management. Workflows, reports, Scrum Boards, and other components can be customized as well.
3) Robust Integration Support
Developers have access to versatile REST and Java APIs, as well as 3,000+ add-ons and plugins available in the Atlassian Marketplace, making it simple to extend Jira’s power and make it fit for your business needs. As a result, Jira can seamlessly integrate into any Software environment and is ready to use as soon as your account is created.
4) Rich Toolkit for Developers
Developers will have access to a Jira Query Language (JQL) that will allow them to create filters and manipulations rapidly. To provide backlog-to-deployment traceability, Jira can be linked to BitBucket and GitHub, and new workflows can be built to manage the multiple ways users build, test, and release their apps.
5) Enterprise-Grade Security Control
Jira safeguards data and files with Bank-Grade Security and centralized administration for Jira Software and other Atlassian Cloud products. Admins can develop a flexible governance plan that doesn’t restrict access or collaboration using the tools or processes they need.
6) Mobile Apps
Jira’s native mobile apps connect Android and iOS users, making it ideal for large and distributed teams working in a variety of locations.
Introduction to Microsoft Teams
Over the last decade, Business Communications have evolved dramatically. Instead of traditional Email Communications, we’ve seen innovative and rapid alternatives to Team Communications. These new modes of Communication are more collaborative, enable document storage and come with online screen sharing capabilities. Additionally, it is simple to look for past messages or attachments in these Applications rather than squandering through your previous Email Threads.
Just like the popular Slack Platform, Microsoft Teams is a wholesome Team Communication Software offering for everyone. It’s a Cloud-based Collaboration Software, as a part of Microsoft Office 365 Suite, which includes features like Messaging, Calling, Video Meetings, File Sharing, and Secure Editing.
Microsoft Teams provides Real-time Collaboration on Content from local and remote workers across different devices, including laptops and mobile devices. Its strong integration with Microsoft products such as Word, PowerPoint, Exchange, and SharePoint makes it a very enjoyable and simple to use Application.
Microsoft Teams is a Platform where Business Teams can securely edit files and see Likes, Comments, Mentions, and Replies with just a single click. Your colleagues can add other Websites and Apps accessible to everyone. For merriment and inspiration, you can even use Emojis, GIFs, and Bots to stir up your conversations and induce exhilaration in your Team, especially during monotonous times.
Microsoft Teams can also be integrated with third-party Web Services and Applications using User-defined HTTP Callback from Microsoft Teams Webhook functionality. This can fetch real-time updates from the Applications and allow users to subscribe to receive notifications and messages from your Web Services.
Key Features of Microsoft Teams
Some of the key features of Microsoft Teams are as follows:
- Increased Data Visibility and Better Governance
- External Collaboration
- Fewer Email Threads
- History Menu
- Powerful Integration options
1) Increased Data Visibility and Better Governance
Business Conversations happening in Microsoft Teams are persistent and traceable. Leaders can track what progress has been made by their Team Members, which areas are they facing troubles in, and how has been the group bonding and culture so far. All the files and documents which are shared with the Team Members get securely uploaded to the Microsoft Cloud, so there are no worries about Data Mismanagement or Loss.
Microsoft Teams also makes the Cloud data available to Microsoft Graph, Microsoft 365’s Data Intelligence Console, which can be used to access tremendous amounts of data in Microsoft 365, Windows 10, and Enterprise Mobility + Security.
Microsoft Teams also features better governance through Microsoft 365 eDiscovery tools, a useful tool that can be used in identifying and delivering electronic information that can be used as evidence in legal cases.
2) External Collaboration
Microsoft Teams feature a Guest Access feature that allows users to invite people outside their Organizations to join Internal Channels for Messaging, Meetings, and File Sharing. This capability facilitates Business-to-Business (B2B) Project Management and eliminates any to and fro Communication Gaps between the different Teams.
There’s also a brand new way of Team Collaboration Service called Microsoft Teams Connect that is currently in private preview and expected to be released by the end of 2021. This will allow Team Owners to add Individuals and Teams to a single Channel within a Team. More information on Microsoft Teams Connect can be found here: Microsoft Teams Connect aka Shared Channels Coming Later in 2021.
3) Fewer Email Threads
Email Threads are intimidating, especially when you need to take some reference from a previous Email Conversation.
Microsoft Teams tackles this conundrum very intelligently. Instead of CCing your Work Email Address, you can simply visit ellipses (three dots) next to any Channel and select Get Email Address. This is an Email Address for the Channel to which you’d want to send Emails, making it easier to find files and allowing others to remark.
4) History Menu
Microsoft Teams is a game-changer when it comes to User Productivity. With a special feature called History Menu, available on the top left corner of the Microsoft Teams Desktop Client, users can revisit their recently visited or opened Channels, Conversations, Files, Tabs, or Apps.
This saves users from tapping repeatedly on the back button if they get lost or want to navigate to the previous Teams Menu or Settings.
5) Powerful Integration Options
Microsoft Teams is very well integrated with the rest of the Microsoft 365 Services. Users can create and manage Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote Files within their Microsoft Team Channels and work with other Content in their Team’s SharePoint Sites. Calendaring connects right into Outlook.
Microsoft Teams can also be integrated with third-party applications using the Microsoft Teams Webhook Integration Service that allows the App to get real-time notifications and messages.
Simplify Jira ETL and Analysis with Hevo’s No-code Data Pipeline
A fully managed No-code Data Pipeline platform like Hevo Data helps you integrate and load data from 100+ different sources (including 40+ free sources such as Jira) to a Data Warehouse or Destination of your choice in real-time in an effortless manner. Hevo with its minimal learning curve can be set up in just a few minutes allowing the users to load data without having to compromise performance. Its strong integration with umpteenth sources allows users to bring in data of different kinds in a smooth fashion without having to code a single line.Get Started with Hevo for Free
Check out some of the cool features of Hevo:
- Completely Automated: The Hevo platform can be set up in just a few minutes and requires minimal maintenance.
- Transformations: Hevo provides preload transformations through Python code. It also allows you to run transformation code for each event in the pipelines you set up. You need to edit the event object’s properties received in the transform method as a parameter to carry out the transformation. Hevo also offers drag and drop transformations like Date and Control Functions, JSON, and Event Manipulation to name a few. These can be configured and tested before putting them to use.
- Connectors: Hevo supports 100+ integrations to SaaS platforms, files, Databases, analytics, and BI tools. It supports various destinations including Google BigQuery, Amazon Redshift, Snowflake Data Warehouses; Amazon S3 Data Lakes; and MySQL, SQL Server, TokuDB, DynamoDB, PostgreSQL Databases to name a few.
- Real-Time Data Transfer: Hevo provides real-time data migration, so you can have analysis-ready data always.
- 100% Complete & Accurate Data Transfer: Hevo’s robust infrastructure ensures reliable data transfer with zero data loss.
- Scalable Infrastructure: Hevo has in-built integrations for 100+ sources (Including 40+ free sources such as Jira) that can help you scale your data infrastructure as required.
- 24/7 Live Support: The Hevo team is available round the clock to extend exceptional support to you through chat, email, and support calls.
- Schema Management: Hevo takes away the tedious task of schema management & automatically detects the schema of incoming data and maps it to the destination schema.
- Live Monitoring: Hevo allows you to monitor the data flow so you can check where your data is at a particular point in time.
Key Features of Jira Microsoft Teams Integration
Some of the key features of Jira Microsoft Teams Integration are as follows:
- Without ever leaving Jira, you can instantly create new Microsoft Team Channels linked to your Jira issues.
- All comments and events related to your issue will be shared automatically in your Teams channel.
- You can trigger notifications with events and fine-tune with JQL.
- You can send messages to Microsoft Teams channels, private channels, and direct messages.
- Notifications can be filtered by priority, resolution, status, type, assignee, reporter, and sprint.
- All notifications include specific information such as the user, event, and field names, and many more.
- It also works with Jira Software, Jira Service Desk, and Jira Core.
Setting Up Jira Microsoft Teams Integration
The steps involved in setting up Jira Microsoft Teams Integration are as follows:
- Jira Microsoft Teams Integration: Installing Jira Server into Microsoft Teams
- Jira Microsoft Teams Integration: Installing Microsoft Teams for Jira Server
- Jira Microsoft Teams Integration: Authentication
A) Installing Jira Server into Microsoft Teams
- Step 1: In your Microsoft Teams, select the “Apps” menu in bottom-left corner.
- Step 2: In the search box, search for “Jira Server”.
- Step 3: Click the tile and follow the installation dialog.
The installation provides the following capabilities within Microsoft Teams:
- Messaging Extension
- Team and personal tabs
B) Installing Microsoft Teams for Jira Server
To install the Microsoft Teams for Jira Server app in your Jira instance, you need to be a Jira administrator.
- Step 1: Go to Administration and then click on the “Applications” option.
- Step 2: Now, select the “Application links” option.
- Step 3: In the link form, enter https://jira-server.msteams-atlassian.com/, and click the “Create new link” option.
- Step 4: If you see a warning saying that “No response was received from the URL you entered“. You may ignore it and click the “Continue” button.
- Step 5: On the first screen of the Application link:
- You can enter “Microsoft Teams” as the Application Name.
- Select the checkbox that says “Create incoming link.“
- Select the Create incoming link checkbox.
- Click the “Continue” button.
- Step 6: On the next screen, you can enter the following consumer details:
- Consumer key: OauthKey
- Consumer name: MicrosoftTeamsIntegration
- Public key: You can copy it from the app’s configuration screen.
- Step 7: On next screen of the Link applications dialog, you can enter the following consumer details:
- Enter “OauthKey” as a value for Consumer key.
- Enter “MicrosoftTeamsIntegration” as a value for Consumer name.
- Enter Public key which can be copied from app (add-on) configuration screen.
- Step 8: Click the “Continue” button. You would now see an application link as given in the following image.
- Step 9: Once the configuration is set, you can see the following Jira ID at the bottom of the configuration screen:
The Jira ID will be requested from Microsoft Teams users during authentication. You can share this ID with your users.
The steps followed for the Authentication of Jira Mircrosoft Teams Integration are as follows:
- Step 1: Enter your Jira id in Microsoft Teams.
- Step 2: Click on the “Connect” button.
- Step 3: Now, on the next screen click on the “Authorize” link. The link will be in the following format: https:///jira/plugins/servlet/oauth/authorize?oauth_token=.
- Step 4: You will either be redirected to third-party identity provider like Azure Active Directory or it will open Jira login page. Now, you can put your credentials and log in accordingly.
- Step 5: You will be redirected to Jira authorization page asking to allow Microsoft Teams to access to your data in Jira.
- Step 6: Click on the “Allow” button. Now, you will be redirected to “Access Approved” Jira page.
- Step 7: Now, copy the verification code from the “Access Approved” Jira page.
- Step 8: Paste the verification code in the Verification Code field in Microsoft Teams.
- Step 9: Click the “Continue” button. If the code is correct, you will be redirected to the “Authentication successful” page and popup should close.
For further information on Jira Microsoft Teams Integration, you can follow the Official Documentation.
In this article, you have learned about Jira Microsoft Teams Integration. This article also provided information on Jira, Microsoft, their key features, and the steps involved in setting up Jira Microsoft Teams Integration.
Hevo Data, a No-code Data Pipeline provides you with a consistent and reliable solution to manage data transfer between a variety of sources and a wide variety of Desired Destinations with a few clicks.Visit our Website to Explore Hevo
Hevo Data with its strong integration with 100+ data sources (including 40+ Free Sources) allows you to not only export data from your desired data sources & load it to the destination of your choice but also transform & enrich your data to make it analysis-ready. Hevo also allows integrating data from non-native sources using Hevo’s in-built Webhooks Connector. You can then focus on your key business needs and perform insightful analysis using BI tools.
Want to give Hevo a try? Sign Up for a 14-day free trial and experience the feature-rich Hevo suite first hand. You may also have a look at the amazing price, which will assist you in selecting the best plan for your requirements.
Share your experience of understanding Jira Microsoft Teams Integration in the comment section below! We would love to hear your thoughts.