Magento (Adobe Commerce) is one of the leading eCommerce platforms in the marketplace today, offering an extensive solution to Internet retailers. A part of its popularity comes from its diverse offers. It operates a little differently than other platforms like WordPress.
As opposed to a single solution for all its users, Magento (Adobe Commerce) offers specific packages for enterprise-level websites, small businesses, and those that fall in between. Apart from this, there are various versions of the Magento platform that can be accessed at varying levels of management and at different price points.
This blog talks about the key skills you would need to excel as a Magento Developer. It also talks about the different roles and responsibilities of a Magento Developer after a brief introduction to Magento (Adobe Commerce).
Table of Contents
- What is Magento (Adobe Commerce)?
- Key Features of Magento (Adobe Commerce)
- The Requirements for a Magento Developer
- What are the Responsibilities of a Magento Developer?
- What are the Skills Required for a Magento Developer?
What is Magento (Adobe Commerce)?
Magento (Adobe Commerce) is one of the oldest eCommerce platforms today, having been around since the initial launch way back in 2008. It accounts for a 3% market share in the eCommerce niche today. So what exactly is it?
In simple terms, it is a tool designed using Open-Source Technology to help merchants with the look and functionality of their online stores. One of the best features of this software is that it contains a bundle of valuable functionalities all packaged into one powerful software.
Released in 2015, Magento 2 (Adobe Commerce) was designed to solve the flaws inherent to Magento 1 (Adobe Commerce). These included security risks that left the website vulnerable to hackers, especially when users failed to install security patches.
Key Features of Magento (Adobe Commerce)
With Magento 2 (Adobe Commerce), clients get access to a variety of helpful features such as the ones listed below:
- User-Friendly Interface: This is perhaps one of the most significant upgrades from Magento 1 (Adobe Commerce). The new UI is as intuitive as it is sleek. The navigation tools are simpler to use and access. One might argue that it is an entirely new system!
- Streamlined Common Admin Tasks: When it comes to enhancing speed and efficiency, then this is the best feature. How? You can automate commonly performed tasks in the Admin User panel, a technique that will ultimately save you a lot of time.
- New Security Measures: This might sound a bit inconvenient, but it is a necessary security measure implemented by Magento’s (Adobe Commerce) Developers. How? Only one user can be logged in per admin account, and when a new user tries to log in, others are logged out. We will let you decide whether this is a good or bad security measure.
- Intuitive Back End Features: The Back-end section has a Touch-friendly navigation panel, which means users can easily access it on their tablets.
Simplify Magento (Adobe Commerce) ETL using Hevo’s No-code Data Pipelines
A fully managed No-code Data Pipeline platform like Hevo Data helps you integrate and load data from 100+ Data Sources (including 40+ Free Data Sources such as Magento (Adobe Commerce)) to a destination of your choice in real-time in an effortless manner.Get Started with Hevo for Free
Hevo with its minimal learning curve can be set up in just a few minutes allowing the users to load data without having to compromise performance. Its strong integration with umpteenth sources allows users to bring in data of different kinds in a smooth fashion without having to code a single line.
Check out some of the cool features of Hevo:
- Completely Automated: The Hevo platform can be set up in just a few minutes and requires minimal maintenance.
- Real-Time Data Transfer: Hevo provides real-time data migration, so you can have analysis-ready data always.
- Transformations: Hevo provides preload transformations through Python code. It also allows you to run transformation code for each event in the Data Pipelines you set up. You need to edit the event object’s properties received in the transform method as a parameter to carry out the transformation. Hevo also offers drag and drop transformations like Date and Control Functions, JSON, and Event Manipulation to name a few. These can be configured and tested before putting them to use.
- Connectors: Hevo supports 100+ Integrations to SaaS platforms such as Magento (Adobe Commerce), files, databases, analytics, and BI tools. It supports various destinations including Amazon Redshift, Firebolt, Snowflake Data Warehouses; Databricks, Amazon S3 Data Lakes; and MySQL, SQL Server, TokuDB, DynamoDB, PostgreSQL databases to name a few.
- 100% Complete & Accurate Data Transfer: Hevo’s robust infrastructure ensures reliable data transfer with zero data loss.
- Scalable Infrastructure: Hevo has in-built integrations for 100+ sources that can help you scale your data infrastructure as required.
- 24/7 Live Support: The Hevo team is available round the clock to extend exceptional support to you through chat, email, and support calls.
- Schema Management: Hevo takes away the tedious task of schema management & automatically detects the schema of incoming data and maps it to the destination schema.
- Live Monitoring: Hevo allows you to monitor the data flow so you can check where your data is at a particular point in time.
The Requirements for a Magento Developer
Here are a few Magento Developer Requirements that should be kept in mind when applying for this job:
- Strong attention to detail is one of the primary requirements for a Magento Developer.
- To break out as a Magento Developer, you should at least have a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field.
- Apart from an in-depth understanding of UX/UI trends, a Magento Developer should also have considerable experience with complete eCommerce Lifecycle Development.
- A Magento Developer should have the ability to work in a team environment. They should also have the ability to project-manage and work within strict deadlines.
- A Magento Developer should also have a good working knowledge of SEO, Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager, A/B Testing, PPC, Adobe Illustrator, and Adobe Photoshop.
What are the Responsibilities of a Magento Developer?
Here are a few key responsibilities that a Magento Developer needs to bear:
- Magento (Adobe Commerce) Template Coding is one of the primary responsibilities of a Magento Developer.
- Configuring and Building Magento (Adobe Commerce) 1X and 2X eCommerce websites.
- As a Magento Developer, you would have to meet with the design team to discuss the needs of the company.
- You also need to design themes and interfaces alongside developing Magento (Adobe Commerce) Modules in PHP with the help of best practices.
- Troubleshooting integration issues and setting performance goals and tasks are integral to the work of a Magento Developer.
- Magento Developers also need to update Security Patches and Website Features.
What are the Skills Required for a Magento Developer?
Here are a few skills that are required to differentiate yourself as a distinguished Magento Developer:
- Proper Time Management
- Good Communication Skills
- Offering Good Maintenance Service and Support
- Magento (Adobe Commerce) Certifications
- Creative Thinking and Technical Knowledge
- Knowledge of Programming Languages
- CMS Development Skills
- SEO Knowledge
- Passion for Work
1. Proper Time Management
If you are a Magento Developer and you wish to ensure that your time is used efficiently, then you must use the following best practices:
- Find out how much time you need to devote to a given project.
- Divide the project into manageable chunks.
- Prioritize your tasks. This ensures that they are completed in a timely and optimal manner.
- Take regular breaks to prevent burnout. This also helps you stay focused for longer periods.
2. Good Communication Skills
Before any development can begin, a good Developer must have the ability to communicate their opinions and thoughts on what would be the best for their organization or client in clear terms.
Good communication and understanding skills, let a developer understand the requirements of the client and make sure that they are delivering what is expected of them.
3. Offering Good Maintenance Service and Support
This is one of the best ways to ensure that you continue to receive a good return on your investment. Since no company wishes to know what they have been paying for something that isn’t working, Magento Developers must have a good knowledge of how to resolve customer queries on time and satisfy customer requirements.
4. Magento (Adobe Commerce) Certifications
The developers you wish to hire for the development of your website should possess a valid certification that demonstrates their valuable Magento (Adobe Commerce) skills. On the other hand, if you are applying for a job, you need to pass the Magento 2 (Adobe Commerce) Certification Exam.
This exam is designed to confirm the basic knowledge and skills required to use Magento (Adobe Commerce). To clear this exam, a developer needs to have both experience and technical knowledge in the field.
Along with this, they should also have creative and innovative skills that would help them to solve the problems at ease. Some developers often load up on specializations in specific categories to sharpen their arsenal of Magento skills.
5. Creative Thinking and Technical Knowledge
Developers should be able to understand how a website works, which parts are responsible for different functions on the website, and what is required for it to function properly.
They also need to be creative when working with this type of software. The developers need to be creative enough to come up with new ideas that can help you improve your business operations significantly.
You need to be really professional, irrespective of service providers of any field. The professional behavior of a developer helps in creating a good impact on the business as well as on your clients. This would reflect on your eCommerce website and even on your customer base.
Therefore, professionalism is a key characteristic of a developer that needs to be looked at and kept in mind while hiring a developer skilled in Magento (Adobe Commerce).
7. Knowledge of Programming Languages
Developers need to have sufficient knowledge of basic programming languages to run the projects and develop websites with the right use of programming languages.
On top of this, Query Languages and Web Development Languages are equally important when hiring a developer skilled in Magento (Adobe Commerce).
8. CMS Development Skills
The CMS technology is one of the most integral technologies that have found its footing in the digital world. All the major brands like eBay, Facebook, Google, and Amazon use a CMS in their web infrastructure because of the scalability and features that a CMS can provide.
Therefore, a developer must have good knowledge of both CMS Development and Magento (Adobe Commerce).
9. SEO Knowledge
Developers should have good working SEO knowledge and skills to develop websites that are search-engine friendly. The Magento (Adobe Commerce) sites that are developed based on SEO, rank higher in SERPs and garner the attention of the target audience. A developer skilled in SEO for Magento 2 (Adobe Commerce) is an added benefit since you don’t have to depend on an SEO or Marketing Team.
If you are on the hiring side, a developer skilled with SEO techniques can deliver products that may rank in search engines or reduce the burden of your SEO executives.
10. Passion for Work
A developer should be passionate about his/her work. The time, money, and efforts that a certified developer puts forth for achieving Magento Certification, go to depict how passionate he/she really would be.
By getting certified, you put yourself in the pile as one of the best candidates for consideration. Therefore, certified Magento developers are passionate, dedicated, hard-working, and display good work experience.
This blog talks about the different skills, roles, and responsibilities of a Magento Developer that allow him/her to excel at the job. It also gives a brief introduction to Magento.
Extracting complex data from a diverse set of data sources such as Magento (Adobe Commerce) can be a challenging task and this is where Hevo saves the day!Visit our Website to Explore Hevo
Hevo Data offers a faster way to move data from 100+ Data Sources (Including 40+ Free Data Sources) such as Magento (Adobe Commerce), other SaaS applications, or Databases into your Data Warehouse to be visualized in a BI tool. Hevo is fully automated and hence does not require you to code.
Want to take Hevo for a spin? Sign Up for a 14-day free trial and experience the feature-rich Hevo suite first hand. You can also have a look at the unbeatable pricing that will help you choose the right plan for your business needs.