Email marketing is one of the ways for your business to expand its reach and grow its revenue. However, it’s not easy to succeed as an email marketer, and if you do it wrongly, it can ruin the reputation of your business. That’s why you need Mailchimp. It’s a tool that can help internet marketers to run email marketing campaigns. Mailchimp can help you succeed and thrive in your email marketing efforts. In Mailchimp, you will be handling a lot of data about your customer and marketing campaigns. To analyse this data, you need to export it from Mailchimp.
You may also need to export data from your Mailchimp account to keep a backup of your account outside Mailchimp. You can later re-import the data into Mailchimp. In this article, you will be learning about the Mailchimp export in detail.
Let’s see how this blog is structured for you:
- What is Mailchimp?
- How to Use Mailchimp?
- What can you Export from Mailchimp?
- What can’t you Export from Mailchimp?
- Points to Remember for Mailchimp Export
- Steps for Mailchimp Export
This is what you need for this article:
- A Mailchimp account.
What is Mailchimp?
Mailchimp is a software that gives its users the ability to create and manage mailing lists, automated campaigns, newsletters, etc. It allows you to exercise full control over your email marketing efforts from the beginning to the end. Mailchimp is easy to use, and it gives you access to many email marketing tools in one place. Although there are other email marketing tools, Mailchimp offers several advantages over them.
Mailchimp comes with pre-built and customizable email automation that makes it easy for businesses to connect to the right people at the right time without having to re-do the work every time. Some of the features that you can use to delight your customers include welcome automation, order notifications, and happy birthday messages. Mailchimp lets you automate most of the tasks that are involved in email marketing.
You can remind your customers about items they abandoned in their shopping carts, recommend items to customers that you’re sure they will love and notify customers that their orders have been received. You can also remind customers to come back to purchase stuff they saw on your site. You can do a product follow-up to get feedback or recommend new items to your customers, re-engage with customers you haven’t heard from for a while. You can also reward your loyal customers with special offers, sales, and promotions, and thank new customers after making their first purchase.
With Mailchimp, you can create multichannel campaigns to reach your audience. Remember that you can do all this conveniently without ever leaving Mailchimp. Just create your email list, and you will be ready to run your first campaign. No HTML or coding knowledge is needed to create a beautiful newsletter because Mailchimp will do it for you. You need to choose one of its pre-built templates and use the WYSIWYG builder to customize its content. You can then send out your emails immediately or schedule them to be sent later.
Hevo Data: Export your Mailchimp Data Conveniently
Hevo Data provides its users with a simple platform for integrating data. It is a No-code Data Pipeline that can help you combine data from Mailchimp and numerous other free data sources. It provides you with a consistent and reliable solution for managing data in real-time, ensuring that you always have analysis-ready data in your desired destination.
Let’s look at some unbeatable features of Hevo:
- Simple: Hevo offers a simple and intuitive user interface. It has a minimal learning curve.
- Fully Automated: Hevo can be set up in a few minutes and requires zero maintenance.
- Fault-Tolerant: Hevo can automatically detect anomalies and informs you instantly. All affected rows are kept aside for correction.
- Real-Time: Hevo offers real-time data migration. So, your data is always ready for analysis.
- Scalability: Hevo is built to handle millions of records per minute without any latency.
- Live Support: Hevo is available round the clock to extend exceptional support to its customers through chat, email, and support call.
Give Hevo try by signing up for a 14-day free trial today.
How to Use Mailchimp?
You can access Mailchimp on your web browser from here. You need a Mailchimp account to be able to log in. If you don’t have a Mailchimp account, sign up for one. You can then log in using the account that you have created. The following page will appear after a successful login:
The “Why Mailchimp” page will give you all the reasons as to why you should use Mailchimp to automate your email marketing efforts. The “Marketing Platform” menu has all the tools that you need to run your marketing campaigns.
The “Overview” section of the page introduces you to the page. All the tools that you need to deal with your targeted audience are under the “Audience” tab. It has tools for audience segmentation, customer relations management (CRM), creating lookalike audiences, etc. The “Brand” tab has all the tools that you need to manage the brand that you are marketing. It is the tab from where you can get templates to use in your marketing campaigns. It also has the tools to help you create content for your email marketing campaigns.
Details about your campaigns can be found under the “Campaigns” tab. It is the tab that can create new campaigns and manage your past and current marketing campaigns. To gain insights from your marketing campaigns, use the “Insights” tab. Here, you can get analytics, reports, and smart recommendations for your email marketing campaigns. Mailchimp offers different pricing plans, and these can be found under the “Pricing” page.
Mailchimp offers four different pricing plans as mentioned below:
- Free Plan: It is free of cost and includes all the basic tools.
- Essential Plan: It cost $.99 a month. It includes the must-have features for email marketing campaigns.
- Standard Plan: It costs $14.99 a month. It includes all the essentials tools and provides better insights into your growing businesses.
- Premium Plan: It costs $299 a month It includes all the advanced features, including customization.
Note that although you are required to pay to use these three plans, you will gain access to advanced tools for running marketing campaigns. The “Resources” page of Mailchimp provides you with free resources that can help you know how to get started with Mailchimp and use it with ease.
What can you Export from Mailchimp?
Before starting with Mailchimp export, it’s good to know what you’re allowed to export. The following list contains the data that can be exported from Mailchimp:
- Audiences: This folder contains separate files for subscribed, cleaned, unsubscribed, and transactional contacts.
- Reports: This folder contains different reporting data.
- Templates: Template folder contains HTML files for all email templates.
- Campaigns: It is a CSV (Comma Separated Values) file containing all regular email campaigns found on the Campaigns page.
- Content Studio Files: This is a folder with all content and image assets that have been stored in the “My Files” section of Content Studio.
- Events: It is a CSV file with all custom events that have been passed into Mailchimp. It contains the event name, timestamps, and email address of the contact who created each event.
Although Mailchimp allows you to export a lot of data from your account, there are data that you cannot export. It is what you will be learning in the next section.
What can’t you Export from Mailchimp?
Mailchimp doesn’t allow you to export the following from your account:
- Deleted Audiences: Mailchimp doesn’t keep data of the deleted audiences.
- Billing Receipts: Mailchimp exported data won’t include past and current billing statements.
- Third-Party Information: You can only export the information for contacts stored in Mailchimp. However, you can use the Mailchimp API to sync data between Mailchimp and any other application that you use to manage your contacts.
- Website, Ad, and Landing Page Content: The content for your remarketing ads, social media ads, landing pages, and your websites cannot be exported.
Points to Remember for Mailchimp Export
Before you start with the Mailchimp export, note the following points:
- You are only allowed to export one account per 24 hours.
- Mailchimp will email you when the export process completes. The amount of time taken to export data is determined by the size of the data.
- When your exported data is ready, Mailchimp will create a zip file for all the data you’ve requested. You can access the exported file from your account, and it’s not included in the email they send to you.
Steps for Mailchimp Export
Use the following steps to achieve the Mailchimp export process:
Step 1: Log into your Mailchimp account.
Step 2: Click the drop-down on the right of your profile photo and choose “Account”.
Step 3: Click the “Settings” drop-down menu, then select “Manage your data”.
Step 4: You will be prompted to choose the kind of data that you want to export. It can be Campaigns, Audiences, Reports, Templates, etc. Click the checkbox next to each data that you want to export.
Finally, click the “Export Data” button.
Mailchimp will then bundle all your requested data into a zip file and upload it on the “Manage my data” page of your account. You can download it from there. You will also receive a notification on your email when the exported data is ready.
Here are the limitations associated with the Mailchimp export:
- You can only export one account for every 24 hours.
- Not every data can be exported. For example, you cannot access the data of your deleted audiences.
- The deletion process may take a longer time, especially when you’re dealing with a huge amount of data.
In this article, you have learned how to use Mailchimp for your campaigns and how to perform Mailchimp export. You have also learned about the types of data that you can export and the types of data that you cannot export from Mailchimp. But, if you want to export your Mailchimp data to a database or data warehouse, then try Hevo.
Give Hevo a try by signing up for a 14-day free trial today.
Share your experience of Mailchimp export in the comment section below.