Popular relational database management systems like Oracle are actively used to record large numbers of transactions by large numbers of people. These include transactions like online banking, shopping, order entry, downloading a pdf on a web page, viewing a specific video, etc. Querying this data for analytical purposes puts quite a load on the database. This is due to its Online Transaction Processing Architecture, thereby leading to high licensing costs.
Using a data warehouse like Azure Synapse is a more practical choice. By replicating data from Oracle to Azure, you can leverage its Online Analytical Processing structure. Azure can quickly scale and run complex queries much faster than Oracle. By replicating data from Oracle to Azure, you can also perform a more holistic business analysis. Get a complete customer profile by integrating Oracle data with all your sales, support, marketing & product data sources.
You can easily replicate data from Oracle to Azure Synapse via Azure Data Factory(ADF)’s Copy Data Tool. You can seamlessly leverage this tool for your data transfer with the proper source and destination credentials.
In this article, you will learn how to effectively move data from Oracle to Azure using ADF’s Copy Tool in 8 easy steps.
Note that currently, Hevo doesn’t support Azure as a Destination.
Table of Contents
How to Connect Oracle to Azure?
Leveraging Azure Data Factory’s Copy Data Tool, you can simply follow the steps given below to start moving data from Oracle to Azure:
- Step 1: Log in to your Azure account and navigate to the Azure Data Factory Overview page. Click on the Copy Data Tool option.
Step 2: Enter a unique name of your Data Pipeline for the Oracle to Azure data transfer. Once done, click on the Next button.
- Step 3: Type Oracle in the search bar and click on the Oracle icon.
- Step 4: A new dialog box will appear on your screen where you can provide your Oracle credentials to allow Azure Data Factory to connect to Oracle. After that, select the tables you want to replicate and move towards the destination step.
- Step 5: Similarly, for the destination, search Azure Synapse and click on the respective icon.
- Step 6: Enter your Azure Synapse credentials to complete the connection.
- Step 7: Select the table schema mapping and click the Next button. This example considers the existing table schema.
- Step 8: Finally, you can now link your account for staging and click on the Next button to start the data replication process.
Best Scenarios to use Copy Data Tool
Azure Data Factory’s Copy Data Tool is effective for the following use cases:
- Single-Use Data Transfer: Compared to executing queries on Oracle Database, Azure’s consumption-based pricing might seem attractive. Though, a long-term data pipeline integration service can be expensive. Hence, the Copy Data Tool is excellent for short-term & one-time Oracle to Azure data replication.
- No Data Transformation Required: As the Copy Data Tool offers little to no data transformation features, it isn’t advised to use it on clean, analysis-ready data.
- Integrations Within Azure: Standalone Azure Data Factory will not be enough if you need to integrate with data sources outside the Azure Ecosystem. Thus, due to its limited integrations, it is best applicable only for connecting to Azure-based data sources.
Putting It All Together
If you need to extract & combine data from multiple sources in different formats, you would need to dedicate a portion of your engineering team to achieve this. They will develop, maintain & manage the ever-changing data connectors for all your sources. Moreover, you would need to write custom transformation scripts to clean & standardize data to make it analysis-ready. It can be challenging when your business is growing, and so are the number of data sources you use.
A simple yet powerful remedy for this is using a No-Code solution that fully manages and maintains the data pipelines for you. Opting for a Cloud-based Tool like Hevo enables you to shift your focus on getting insights from your data rather than extracting & preparing it.Visit our Website to Explore Hevo
Hevo offers an easy-to-use UI that allows anyone from a data engineer to a business analyst to set up the data pipeline in a matter of minutes. With 150+ plug-and-play connectors, seamlessly replicate data in just a few clicks from sources like Oracle to a Data Warehouse like Redshift, BigQuery, Snowflake, or a destination of your choice.
Saving countless hours of manual data cleaning & standardizing, Hevo’s pre-load data transformations get it done in minutes via a simple drag n drop interface or your custom python scripts. No need to go to your data warehouse for post-load transformations. You can simply run complex SQL transformations from the comfort of Hevo’s interface and get your data in the final analysis-ready form.
Share your experience of connecting Oracle to Azure! Let us know in the comments section below!