Salesforce is a robust Customer Relationship Management (CRM) platform, powered by Customer 360. It further offers a complementary suite of enterprise applications that focus on Marketing Automation, Data Analytics, Customer Service, and Application Development. Salesforce Developers develop CRM workflows and custom solutions for business needs along with analyzing company processes.
This blog talks about the different roles and responsibilities of a Salesforce Developer in great detail. It also talks in-depth about other aspects like the skills required, future prospects, prerequisites, and average income.
Table of Contents
Introduction to Salesforce
Salesforce serves as an integrated CRM platform that provides a single, shared view across all your departments including Sales, Service, Commerce, and Marketing. Salesforce can help you empower and develop your Sales teams with integrated Lead Management, Forecasting Tools, and the ability to Quote, Price, and Configure every deal. Salesforce provides a comprehensive Cloud platform (Sales Cloud) that gives you the Customer Management Solution that is the right fit for every growth phase of your company.
Sales Cloud is an all-in-one Sales tool that also doubles as CRM software. Sales Cloud is flexible enough to accommodate businesses of any industry or size and scalable for anything you might need from it. It allows you to access data on the go through its mobile app. It can also help maximize Sales with AppExchange integrations, thus boosting business growth.
Here are a few salient Salesforce features:
- It allows you to build mobile-friendly Salesforce apps for every employee. This helps boost productivity and build a more connected workforce. Apart from this, it also helps you streamline the employee helpdesk for faster self-service.
- Salesforce offers a boost on its core services with additional functionalities such as Application Integration and Artificial Intelligence. This includes building custom-branded mobile apps; easy integration of data from ERP, IoT, and databases; and addition of predictive capabilities for every service and Sales application.
- You can make your apps more personalized and smart to meet your needs in real-time engagement, service, and purchase.
- With Experience Cloud, you can evolve on a fast, flexible platform and maximize your return on experience. It allows you to build stronger relationships with a Single Source of Truth.
- Salesforce provides a highly curated library of industry-specific expert help. This includes process flows, apps, templates, and components built to tackle every single issue faced by the user.
Salesforce ensures a personalized experience with its Customer 360 Platform. Some of the key products offered by Salesforce as a part of their suite are as follows:
- Salesforce Service Cloud: Salesforce Service Cloud offers all the tools you might need to strengthen Customer Engagement. It allows you to automate business processes with intelligent workflows, support customer interactions across each channel, get actionable insight into every customer interaction, and drive revenue with the power of Artificial Intelligence.
- Salesforce Analytics (Tableau CRM): Tableau allows you to leverage intuitive drag-and-drop analysis at every skill level. It also allows you to quickly spot visual patterns and share insights across teams to drive growth.
- Salesforce Commerce Cloud: The Salesforce Commerce Cloud allows you to convert more customers with personalized buying experiences. You can implement your strategies faster with easy-to-use tools. This allows you to stay agile and start generating a higher ROI (Return on Investment) sooner.
- Salesforce AppExchange: Salesforce AppExchange is an Enterprise Cloud marketplace. It allows you to find proven experts and apps to help you solve business challenges fast and extend your Salesforce Customer 360 from anywhere. This can be extended across any Department, Industry, and Product. It also offers app guides to help you zero in on the right apps to suit your unique business challenges.
What is a Salesforce Developer?
A Salesforce Developer is defined as a programmer who is tasked with building Salesforce applications across various PaaS (Platform as a Service) platforms. They needn’t be employed directly by Salesforce.
What does a Salesforce Developer Do?
A Salesforce CRM Developer has a deep understanding of the working of Salesforce. They also have ample experience in the platform. The developer is employed by a client/customer to customize Salesforce to the specifications of the hiring organization. The developer could also be an in-house programmer who’s skilled at working with Salesforce.
These developers leverage tools like Visualforce and Apex to develop apps. Frameworks like Lightning Component can also come in handy.
A fully managed No-code Data Pipeline platform like Hevo Data helps you integrate data from 100+ data sources (including 30+ Free Data Sources like Salesforce) to a destination of your choice in real-time in an effortless manner. Hevo with its minimal learning curve can be set up in just a few minutes allowing the users to load data without having to compromise performance. Its strong integration with umpteenth sources allows users to bring in data of different kinds in a smooth fashion without having to code a single line.
Get Started with Hevo for Free
Check out some of the cool features of Hevo:
Sign up here for a 14-Day Free Trial!
- Completely Automated: The Hevo platform can be set up in just a few minutes and requires minimal maintenance.
- Transformations: Hevo provides preload transformations through Python code. It also allows you to run transformation code for each event in the pipelines you set up. You need to edit the event object’s properties received in the transform method as a parameter to carry out the transformation. Hevo also offers drag and drop transformations like Date and Control Functions, JSON, and Event Manipulation to name a few. These can be configured and tested before putting them to use.
- Connectors: Hevo supports 100+ integrations to SaaS platforms such as Salesforce, files, databases, analytics, and BI tools. It supports various destinations including Salesforce CRM, Google BigQuery, Amazon Redshift, Firebolt, Snowflake Data Warehouses; Amazon S3 Data Lakes; and MySQL, MongoDB, TokuDB, DynamoDB, PostgreSQL databases to name a few.
- Real-Time Data Transfer: Hevo provides real-time data migration, so you can have analysis-ready data always.
- 100% Complete & Accurate Data Transfer: Hevo’s robust infrastructure ensures reliable data transfer with zero data loss.
- Scalable Infrastructure: Hevo has in-built integrations for 100+ sources, that can help you scale your data infrastructure as required.
- 24/7 Live Support: The Hevo team is available round the clock to extend exceptional support to you through chat, email, and support calls.
- Schema Management: Hevo takes away the tedious task of schema management & automatically detects the schema of incoming data and maps it to the destination schema.
- Live Monitoring: Hevo allows you to monitor the data flow so you can check where your data is at a particular point in time.
Key Roles and Responsibilities of a Salesforce Developer
Here are the roles and responsibilities of a Salesforce Developer:
- Recommend new software upgrades for the customers’ existing programs, apps, and systems.
- Analyze what are the needs of the users, then test, design, and develop software that is tailored to those needs.
- Build effective project plans and design Salesforce solutions. Add value to the three stages of project work: Development, Definition, and Deployment.
- Design every part of your desired application or a system, then plan out how those parts will gel together.
- Act in advance of the changing technological and business landscapes of Java/.Net and Salesforce platforms, and adapt accordingly.
- Create and implement programs to be used over the Internet and in-house users over the company Intranet.
- Take the lead with other programmers by creating numerous diagrams (like flowcharts) and models that will instruct them how to write additional software code as needed.
- Deal with possible inconsistencies in the quality of data and create processes that can overcome any potential system deficiencies.
- Collaborate with other computer specialists for the purposes of creating optimal software.
- Document every part of the company’s inventory of systems and applications for future reference, especially in the context of maintenance and upgrades.
It is imperative for an SFDC Developer to establish a rapport with the client and understand what the latter’s expectations are for Salesforce operation and implementation.
Salesforce Developers’ Salary
A Salesforce Developer in the United States is estimated to earn around $87,000 a year, according to the information available on Glassdoor. There are also opportunities for extra bonuses, weighing in at about $8000 as an annual average.
You can find a position that pays a maximum annual salary of $117,000 or as low as $62,000 a year. There are factors like experience and location level that can influence the annual income. Irrespective of the actual exact figure, the position is deemed as a potentially lucrative career choice.
How to Become a Salesforce Developer?
Salesforce Developers like most software developers need to have a BS in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or some related field with appropriate experience. Another prerequisite is good Computer Programming Skills. Having the skills and knowledge in the industry where those Salesforce skills will be put to best use. You should also have an understanding of Model-View-Controller Design pattern, Object-Oriented Programming principles, .NET Programming, or Java.
It is also useful to have an internship with a software business since this arrangement can give you useful connections, needed skills, and necessary experience. If you can’t get into development instantly, you can start off with a programmer position and work your way up to the level of developer.
You can also take an online Salesforce Developer Training Course that can teach you the necessary skills to get your certification.
5 Skills Required to Become a Salesforce Developer
Here are a few skills that any good Salesforce Developer should have. These include:
- Computer Skills: Having computer skills is one of the most obvious skill requirements for a Salesforce Platform Developer.
- Analytical Skills: It helps to analyze your clients’ needs and create appropriate software.
- Communication Skills: Communication Skills are required to better get your points across. This will be helpful while giving team members and subordinates clear instructions on what to do and showing customers how the apps work.
- Problem-Solving Skills: This is an integral skill since dealing with problems is the bread and butter of developers. As a developer, you will be looking over every stage of software development to ensure peak efficiency.
- Interpersonal Skills: Interpersonal skills are required since every developer would have to be a good team player.
Is Working as a Salesforce Developer a Good Career?
Based on this infographic, 1.9 million new jobs will be springing up in the Salesforce ecosystem in the next few years. There are encouraging figures that suggest increased Salesforce adoption by smaller companies, simplifying the app in order to appeal to a wider selection of users, and increased emphasis on field service and the Internet of Things.
Therefore, it is safe to assume that Salesforce will continue to grow in popularity and extend itself into more SMB markets. This means the demand for developers will continue to surge in the future.
What’s your Future With Salesforce?
You can start off with certification training for Salesforce to get hands-on expertise in developing and managing apps. This will help you get a deeper understanding of the core administrative features of the Salesforce CRM.
You will also gain a deeper insight into customization and analytical skills that can help you tailor the system for your specific implementation.
This blog talks about the different aspects of a Salesforce Developer in great detail. This includes the skills required, roles, responsibilities, prerequisites, income among others.
Extracting complex data from a diverse set of data sources like Salesforce to carry out an insightful analysis can be challenging, and this is where Hevo saves the day! Hevo offers a faster way to move data from Databases or SaaS applications like Salesforce to be visualized in a BI tool for free. Hevo Data is fully automated and hence does not require you to code.
Visit our Website to Explore Hevo
Want to take Hevo for a spin? Sign Up for the 14-day free trial and experience the feature-rich Hevo suite first hand. You can also have a look at the unbeatable pricing that will help you choose the right plan for your business needs.