Setting Up Trello Slack Integration: 2 Easy Methods
You might be a Project Manager or a team member in an ongoing project, no matter what your role in the project is, you need to collaborate with other members in the project and update them timely. Going through an inbox full of E-Mails or messages is an overwhelming job. Small projects don’t require Project Management tools. But to handle large projects where the manager needs to assign various tasks to different teams, then one should use the integration of 2 or more Project Management tools like Trello Slack Integration, which can increase the efficiency of their workflow.
Table of Contents
Trello is a Project Management and collaboration tool that helps you organize projects into Boards. Trello can help you manage all the updates and progress of your projects. It uses Kanban View to fit your project data so that you can easily collaborate with others and keep track of deadlines.
Slack is another tool used by many organizations to keep a stable workflow. Slack is a messaging app for businesses that helps you communicate efficiently with other team members. It is easier to communicate using Slack rather than normal E-Mails. Your team members can discuss the top updates on a running project in a single chatbox. But how tedious it is to frequently context switch between Trello and Slack for maintaining updates at both platforms simultaneously.
Trello Slack Integration is a perfect solution to extract the best out of your team coordination. You can import Trello Boards or Cards in the chatbox and discuss with other team members for updates, or you can also attach Slack conversations in Trello Cards. In this article, you will understand Trello and Slack. Also, you will learn how to integrate Trello Slack.
Table of Contents
- Introduction to Trello
- Introduction to Slack
- Steps to Set Up Trello Slack Integration
- Benefits of Trello Slack Integration
- An active Trello account.
- An active Slack account.
Introduction to Trello
Trello is a web-based collaboration tool that helps you organize projects in Kanban View. Kanban View allows you to view various stages of a process using Cards. It’s a Project Management tool designed to increase the workflow of team members. It allows you to have a quick overview of Boards like sticky notes. You can add images, texts, colorful labels, and much more in one single Card. Cards are containers in Kanban View that can help visualize your work. You can make multiple lists for different updates and track them such as Done, To Do, Doing, etc.
There are 3 elements of Trello that you need to know:
- Boards: These are the workspaces in Trello that you can create and share with your teams. Trello offers different types of Boards such as Kanban, Timeline, Table, Map Dashboard, and Calendar.
- Lists: Lists are part of Boards where you can create multiple Trello Lists based on different tasks and categories like Pending, Done, Today, etc.
- Cards: These are components of Lists where you can define tasks and updates. These Cards support texts, images, attachments, messages, etc.
You can create multiple Trello Boards for different projects. Each Trello Board contains multiple Lists, and each List can add as many Trello Cards as you want.
Key features of Trello:
- Effortless Project Planning: It’s a perfect hassle-free Project Management tool for teams that allows you to organize customizable workflows and break down projects into smaller pieces and let you plan each unit separately.
- Task Management and Collaboration: Trello uses Kanban Boards that allow one glance view of the tasks. This setup makes it easier for team members to manage workflow efficiently. It also lets team members post messages and tag other members in Trello Cards.
- Power-Ups: Trello features Power-Ups as integration to third-party apps and services. It provides more than 200+ Power-Ups to make all essential tools used by companies available in one place.
To learn more about Trello, click here.
Introduction to Slack
Slack is a messaging app that helps businesses to connect with team members using an easy-to-use workspace. Managing daily updates and project discussions can be tedious through E-Mails. Slack is a private chat room service for a company where they can easily communicate. It supports file attachments, calling services, and much more to offer. It also helps companies to work remotely with members, freelancers, or in collaboration with other companies.
It can also integrate with many third-party apps and services such as E-Mail services, Google Drive, Trello, etc to deliver a better user experience. Slack organizes everything in one place with the help of its powerful integrations. It provides a perfect opportunity to socialize with other members, hence building a good work culture.
Key features of Slack:
- Channels and Slack Connect: Channels are groups like in any messaging application that allows members to communicate effectively on a project in a chat room. Slack Connect help to connect with teams of other companies for collaboration.
- Video and Voice Calls: With this feature, no need to create separate meeting sessions. Slack makes it easier for you to interact with team members.
- Robust Integrations: Slack supports 2200+ integration with other third-party apps and services to organize all workspace available in your chatbox.
To know more about Slack, click here.
Simplify Data Analysis with Hevo’s No-code Data Pipeline
Hevo Data, a No-code Data Pipeline helps to load data from any data source such as Trello, Databases, SaaS applications, Cloud Storage, SDK,s, and Streaming Services and simplifies the ETL process. It supports 100+ data sources (including 30+ free data sources) and is a 3-step process by just selecting the data source, providing valid credentials, and choosing the destination. Hevo not only loads the data onto the desired Data Warehouse/destination but also enriches the data and transforms it into an analysis-ready form without having to write a single line of code.Get Started with Hevo for Free
Its completely automated pipeline offers data to be delivered in real-time without any loss from source to destination. Its fault-tolerant and scalable architecture ensures that the data is handled in a secure, consistent manner with zero data loss and supports different forms of data. The solutions provided are consistent and work with different BI tools as well.
Check out why Hevo is the Best:
- Secure: Hevo has a fault-tolerant architecture that ensures that the data is handled in a secure, consistent manner with zero data loss.
- Schema Management: Hevo takes away the tedious task of schema management & automatically detects the schema of incoming data and maps it to the destination schema.
- Minimal Learning: Hevo, with its simple and interactive UI, is extremely simple for new customers to work on and perform operations.
- Hevo Is Built To Scale: As the number of sources and the volume of your data grows, Hevo scales horizontally, handling millions of records per minute with very little latency.
- Incremental Data Load: Hevo allows the transfer of data that has been modified in real-time. This ensures efficient utilization of bandwidth on both ends.
- Live Support: The Hevo team is available round the clock to extend exceptional support to its customers through chat, E-Mail, and support calls.
- Live Monitoring: Hevo allows you to monitor the data flow and check where your data is at a particular point in time.
Steps to Set Up Trello Slack Integration
Now that you have understood both Trello and Slack. In this section, you will learn 2 methods to Trello Slack Integration. The following methods are listed below:
Method 1: Trello Slack Integration Using Power-Ups
This method will use Slack Power-Ups in your Trello account. The steps for Trello Slack Integration are listed below:
- Login to your Trello account here and click on Boards located on the navigation sidebar of the screen.
- Here, choose Board you want to add to Slack.
- Now, your Board will open and go to the three-dotted Show menu option on the top right side of the Board, as shown in the image below.
- Click on the Show menu and select the Power-Ups option, as shown in the image below.
- It will open a list of Power-Ups available on Trello. Here, Search for Slack.
- Now, click the Add button to add Trello Slack App, as shown in the image below.
- A dialog box will pop up. Here, click on Add Alerts.
- Now it will prompt to add a team. Click on the Add Slack Team button.
- A new browser window will open granting permission for Trello Slack Integration. Click on the Allow button.
Cheers, Trello Slack Integration is accomplished.
The free version of Trello offers 1 Power-Up only. In case you require more than one Power-Ups then you have to subscribe to a paid plan for Trello.
The next method described below doesn’t need Trello’s paid plan for Trello Slack Integration.
Method 2: Integrating Trello App from Slack
To follow this method, you can access the Slack App either from a Web browser or an installed app on the operating system. Steps for Trello Slack Integration are as follows:
Step 1: Add Trello App on Slack
- First, open your Slack App, and from the left sidebar of the window, click on the Apps option, as shown in the image below.
- A list of Slack Apps will open. Here, search for Trello in the search bar located at top of the page.
- Now, click on Add button of the Trello card, as shown in the image below.
- The Slack App Directory will open in a new tab of the browser. Here, click on the Add to Slack button located at the left-hand side of the screen, as shown in the image below.
- Click on Add to Slack on the next page, as shown by the below image.
- Now, a new page will open where you can set the visibility of your Workspace to Private or Public.
- Then click on Add to Slack button to integrate Trello Slack, as shown in the image below.
- Now, you can view all the permissions and click on the Allow button to integrate Trello Slack.
Step 2: Link your Slack Account to your Trello Account
- Open your Slack account and click on Trello App from the Apps section located on the navigation Sidebar, as shown in the image below.
- It will open a new direct message window with Trello App.
- Now, click on the Lightning bolt icon in the message field, as shown in the image below.
- Here, search Trello or write /trello and hit enter. It will ask to Authorize Trello App, as shown in the image below.
- Click on Authorize link, and a browser window will open.
- Now, click on Allow button and then click the Link Accounts button to link Trello Slack accounts.
That’s it! You have successfully integrated Trello and Slack.
Benefits of Trello Slack Integration
- You can type commands in Slack to create Trello Cards and even tag team members to them.
- Trello Slack allows you to send Trello Cards in Slack channels or direct messages to team members and plan the project. It helps in starting a conversation on a project taking reference to Trello Cards right in the chatbox.
- It helps you set reminders and deadlines on Trello Cards from Slack itself.
- You can add project-related conversations from Slack directly into Trello Cards. All the updates, changes discussed on the project will add to Cards. It avoids context switching between both platforms.
- Get notification in Slack whenever any updates are added to Trello Cards. This will help you focus on work instead of frequently checking Trello updates.
In this article, you learned about Trello and Slack. You came to know about simple steps to Trello Slack Integration and the importance of Trello Slack to make your Project Management efficient. Trello Slack is a great way to organize your management tasks effectively and give you more time to work on projects. Trello contains important project-related data that is useful for companies. Organizations use Trello event logs and other data to analyze with Operational Data. This allows companies to optimize their operations.Visit our Website to Explore Hevo
Want to take Hevo for a spin? Sign Up here for a 14-day free trial and experience the feature-rich Hevo suite first hand.
Share your experience of learning about the Trello Slack Integration in the comments section below!