Every day, new software products have released that promise to improve the way your team works. Airtable is one such Cloud database platform that helps companies in carrying out efficient project management of business activities. Since it does not require extensive coding, it is becoming more popular in the IT industry for expediting collaboration on several mission-critical operations.
Upon a complete walkthrough of this article, you will have a decent understanding of Airtable Scripts. You will also gain a holistic understanding of the concepts associated with Airtable along with its salient features. Read along to have in-depth knowledge about Airtable Scripts.
Table of Contents
- What is Airtable?
- Getting Started with Airtable
- What are Airtable Scripts?
- Airtable Scripts Marketplace
- Some of the Popular Airtable Scripts
- What is the Pricing Plans for Airtable?
- Basic understanding of databases.
What is Airtable?
Airtable is a database tool that offers enhanced functionality by presenting data and information in an easy-to-understand format while enabling seamless collaboration. Users can leverage Airtable to Construct databases, Create Column types, Add Entries, Link Tables together, Sort Records, and Publish Views to other websites. This user-friendly Spreadsheet platform also enables firms to create custom apps without the need for coding skills to consolidate and manage your ideas, data, material, projects, and more. Airtable can store data in a visually appealing and easy-to-use Spreadsheet, It is also robust enough to serve as a database for Customer Relationship Management (CRM), Task Management, Project Planning, and Inventory Monitoring.
Key Features of Airtable
In addition to database functionality, Airtable also offers the following features:
- Single Sign-On (SSO) Integrations: Airtable works with a number of well-known single sign-on (SSO) providers, including Okta, One Login, Google Authenticate, ADFS, and Azure AD.
- Two-Factor Authentication (2FA): Airtable allows you to set up Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) for advanced identity verification.
- Documentation: Airtable allows users to store various formats of project materials, including documents, PDFs, additional Spreadsheets, images, videos, and other files.
- Premade Templates: Airtable has a number of ready-to-use project templates that enable you to get straight into the action with little setup time.
- Shared Calendar: Project managers and team members can see and modify Airtable’s shared team calendar as an additional task management option.
- Resource Management: Airtable’s customized and programmable Spreadsheets may help you keep track of your team’s time and resources.
- Custom Apps: Airtable’s open API (Application Programming Interface) enables third-party developers to create applications and functions that operate on the platform.
- Automation: Users can save time by automating monotonous processes, allowing them to concentrate on more dynamic and challenging duties.
- Real-Time Changes: The new Airtable Sync feature allows you to link projects between teams and see real-time updates without having to refresh the page.
- Establish Relations: Airtable allows users to link and create relationships between records. Using templates whose relationships are already created, users can get started with creating their workspace by simply entering input information.
- Task Scheduling: Users may pick from a variety of task lists, Kanban Boards, Gantt Charts, and Airtable’s own gallery task management displays.
For further information on Airtable, click here to check out their official website
Getting Started with Airtable
As discussed above, Airtable has a lot of functionality to offer as a visually focused Project Management tool. Apart from bringing the flexibility of being a Software-as-a-Service product, it also offers apps for macOS, Windows, iPhone, iPad, and Android.
You are only required to enter your email and create a password to sign up. After you’ve created an account, you can begin creating workspaces and databases. A Workspace is a collection of database projects where contributors can work together. It is different for each team, e.g. a Marketing team may create a different workspace than a CRM team.
To create a database (known as a base in Airtable), you can either start with a template, create a database from scratch, or import data from another source. However, if you want to import by uploading, you will need a CSV file. Although for tiny databases, you may just copy and paste the contents into the Airtable Window.
Simplify your Data Analysis with Hevo’s No-code Data Pipeline
A fully managed No-code Data Pipeline platform like Hevo Data helps you integrate and load data from 100+ different sources like Airtable to a destination of your choice in real-time in an effortless manner. Hevo with its minimal learning curve can be set up in just a few minutes allowing the users to load data without having to compromise performance. Its strong integration with umpteenth sources allows users to bring in data of different kinds in a smooth fashion without having to code a single line.
Check out some of the cool features of Hevo:
- Completely Automated: The Hevo platform can be set up in just a few minutes and requires minimal maintenance.
- Transformations: Hevo provides preload transformations through Python code. It also allows you to run transformation code for each event in the pipelines you set up. You need to edit the event object’s properties received in the transform method as a parameter to carry out the transformation. Hevo also offers drag and drop transformations like Date and Control Functions, JSON, and Event Manipulation to name a few. These can be configured and tested before putting them to use.
- Connectors: Hevo supports 100+ integrations to SaaS platforms like Airtable, files, Databases, analytics, and BI tools. It supports various destinations including Google BigQuery, Amazon Redshift, Snowflake Data Warehouses; Amazon S3 Data Lakes; and MySQL, SQL Server, TokuDB, DynamoDB, PostgreSQL Databases to name a few.
- Real-Time Data Transfer: Hevo provides real-time data migration, so you can have analysis-ready data always.
- 100% Complete & Accurate Data Transfer: Hevo’s robust infrastructure ensures reliable data transfer with zero data loss.
- Scalable Infrastructure: Hevo has in-built integrations for 100+ sources (including 30+ free sources) that can help you scale your data infrastructure as required.
- 24/7 Live Support: The Hevo team is available round the clock to extend exceptional support to you through chat, email, and support calls.
- Schema Management: Hevo takes away the tedious task of schema management & automatically detects the schema of incoming data and maps it to the destination schema.
- Live Monitoring: Hevo allows you to monitor the data flow so you can check where your data is at a particular point in time.
You can try Hevo for free by signing up for a 14-day free trial.
What are Airtable Scripts?
Airtable Scripts can help the user:
- Find and combine duplicate records, and create a list of duplicate records using custom logic.
- Determine which records do not meet a custom constraint or validation rule.
- Compute a value based on the other cells for each record in a view and write the result to an output field.
- Get data from an API and write the result to an output field for each record (for example, currency conversion rate).
- Give a name to new projects, then generate the project and task records automatically.
Airtable Scripts can help users personalize workflow by allowing them to make extensive changes to the data or by introducing efficiencies that allow making several changes at once. In other words, the Customization characteristic of Airtable Scripts can help in getting a comprehensive perspective of company data by building Custom Booking apps ranging from Project dependencies to Data Cleaning. It also includes Airtable-specific classes and methods for reading, writing, and updating data in the base, as well as user input and output.
You can use custom made Airtable Scripts for:
- Financial Dashboards
- Detailed Reports
- Connecting to an external API
- Processing Recurring Orders
- Automated Invoices
- Custom Scheduling
- Data Cleanup
- Data Validation
Airtable Scripts Marketplace
Airtable Scripts are designed to assist you in working more efficiently by automating routine tasks. However, you do not have to be a programmer to benefit from Scripting. From removing duplicate records to email validation, randomizing values, to converting URLs to attachments, Airtable’s Scripting templates may help you automate routine operations within your database.
You can get any Airtable Scripts templates straight from the Scripts Marketplace. You have to choose the Script you want to use, then select the right workspace and base you want it to run in. Eventually, on your chosen base, launch the Airtable Scripts, and you are ready to run your script!
Airtable Scripts forms an integral part of the scripting activities on Airtable, i.e., whether using a Script template or creating a custom Script of your own, they take place within the Airtable Scripts app.
However, the Airtable Scripts app is generally included in the Pro and Enterprise version of the Airtable Apps. Fortunately, until September 2021, the Scripting app is accessible on the Free and Plus subscription plans. The Airtable Apps aid in augmenting the functionality of Airtable bases by allowing users to import new data, and display and summarise existing records in creative ways.
Airtable also has its community of fellow Scripting creators to share their Custom-made Scripts, provide feedback, and connect with each other. You may even submit your developed code to the Airtable Scripts Marketplace to share with others. It is important to note that Airtable cannot guarantee that the source code of a community-generated Script works efficiently or whether it is updated. These codes are added and put to showcase, with the expectation that they work.
Some of the Popular Airtable Scripts
The Airtable Scripts Marketplace houses a number of Scripts that can be used for a diverse range of functions. Some of them are discussed below:
1) Find and replace
This operates in a similar way to the find and replaces tool in your preferred Word Processor program. It finds all text matches and replaces them with a text field of your choice. It is ideal for making large-scale changes to text content, such as Rebranding, Product Renaming, Message Refreshes, and so on.
2) Currency Converter
This Script converts currencies in your base using an external API. You may modify it to work with various currencies or use it as a starting point for another API integration.
3) Convert attachments to URLs
This Script populates attachments in your base using pre-existing URL fields. It retrieves the attachments at the URL and then uploads them back to your base as an attachment in the relevant record using the URL you share.
4) Gantt auto-set dates
The Script uses a Tasks table, a ‘Preceding Task‘ column, and a project start date to automatically set each Task’s start and finish dates sequentially based on the Tasks that came before it.
5) Create records for multiple templates
This Script generates new records depending on a template that you specify. To implement it, you will need four key components: a Parent Table, a table of template types, a table of templates, and a Child Table where your new entries will be stored.
6) Add Images from Google Maps
Using a field containing an address, this Script populates an attachment field with an image from Google Maps. You will need a Google Maps API key to use this Script.
7) Delete Duplicates
This Script searches across multiple records with the same cell value using the field selected by you. The Script then counts how many duplicate records there are and allows you to remove them all at once.
What is the Pricing Plans for Airtable?
For teams or individuals who are just starting with Airtable, they can try out some of Airtable’s most important features for free. The free edition allows you to create unlimited databases and invite an infinite number of collaborators. However, each database is limited to 1,200 records, and you receive 2GB of storage space per database, which is very ample provided you are not dealing with large files. In addition, you’re restricted to two weeks of revision and snapshot history, as well as 100 automation, runs each month.
Airtable offers three other plan options in addition to the free version: Pro, Plus, and Enterprise. For Non-profit and Educational groups, the Company offers discounts on certain programs.
Airtable can be considered a wonderful database tool and a visually better alternative to Sheets and Excel. It not only aids organizations in managing their workflow, saving projects or business information, and delivering outputs, but it also assists them in understanding the relationships between tables and developing Custom apps.
In this article, you have learned about the Airtable Scripts. This article also provided in-depth knowledge about Airtable, its key features, its components, and the ideal use cases for different types of Airtable Scripts.
Hevo Data, a No-code Data Pipeline provides you with a consistent and reliable solution to manage data transfer between a variety of sources such as Airtable and destinations with a few clicks. Hevo with its strong integration with 100+ sources & BI tools allows you to not only export data from your desired data sources & load it to the destination of your choice, but also transform & enrich your data to make it analysis-ready so that you can focus on your key business needs and perform insightful analysis using BI tools.
Share your experience of understanding the concepts related to Airtable Scripts in the comments below!