As a WooCommerce merchant, you might be looking for strategies to boost your revenue and improve your customer experience. Upselling is one of the oldest and most effective sales strategies in the book. This is because it’s more expensive to acquire new paying customers to your online store but it’s much easier to upsell to existing customers.
With a good WooCommerce Upsell plugin, you can recommend a product or a combination of products that will improve your overall customer satisfaction and optimize your WooCommerce store for maximum sales per visitor.
In this article, you will gain information about what upselling is, how to upsell, the benefits of upselling. You will also gain a holistic understanding of some awesome WooCommerce upsell plugins that can help drive revenue growth to your store.
Table of Contents
What is WooCommerce?
WooCommerce is a WordPress plugin that adds basic E-Commerce functionality to your WordPress website. It’s a perfect solution to quickly start your E-Commerce website or online store in no time. The best thing about WooCommerce is that it’s free to use. This open-source plugin supports most themes available for WordPress. Around 90% of E-Commerce websites on WordPress use the WooCommerce plugin. It’s an easy-to-use plugin that doesn’t require any coding to manage an E-Commerce website.
WooCommerce is not only limited to E-Commerce products functionality. It also offers “Payment” services, “Add to cart” feature, “Shipment” services, and “Dynamic Pricing” on the websites. Further, it is compatible with small to large-scale E-Commerce sites or stores. To add more functionalities to WooCommerce, one can download WooCommerce extensions from its marketplace.
It also features Reporting and Data Analytics to get an overview of the performance of the E-Commerce site. The customizable dashboards and advanced segmenting tools add more value to it.
To have any further information on WooCommerce, you can visit here.
Key Features of WooCommerce
WooCommerece made it easier for every business to sell products and services online. It comes with many features and is still in the development of new updates.
Some of the key features of WooCommerce are as follows:
1) SEO Friendly
To build a successful online business, one needs good hands-on SEO (Search Engine Optimization). WooCommerce works on WordPress that adds more value to your website by default.
2) Smooth Integrations
WooCommerce can easily integrate with most Advertising services and Data Analysis tools to effectively run your Marketing Campaigns.
3) Local Customization
Your business may target customers for a particular region. WooCommerce is flexible to change currency, language, units.
4) Dynamic Price
WooCommerce automates the process of tax calculations and shipping prices based on the region.
What is Upselling in WooCommerce?
Upselling is the act of recommending a better or more premium version of a product to your customers at strategic points in the customer’s journey. These products are usually superior in price, features, or version.
The primary motive of upselling is to entice your visitors to purchase more and increase the Average Order Value (AOV) with minimal marketing effort.
Since these customers have already shown high buyer intent, your only task is to suggest relevant upgrades. Amazon.com is the pioneer of the upsell strategy in online retail. They did so using the phrase “customers who bought this item also bought”.
Upselling is not just about growing order sizes, but it also extends to improving the customer experience. An effective upsell strategy ensures that the customer selects the best product for their use case and that they have all the accessories they need to use that product.
A fully managed No-code Data Pipeline platform like Hevo Data helps you integrate and load data from 100+ different sources (including 40+ free sources) such as WooCommerce to a Data Warehouse, or Destination of your choice in real-time in an effortless manner. Hevo with its minimal learning curve can be set up in just a few minutes allowing the users to load data without having to compromise performance. Its strong integration with umpteenth sources allows users to bring in data of different kinds in a smooth fashion without having to code a single line.
Get Started with Hevo for Free
Check out some of the cool features of Hevo:
Sign up here for a 14-Day Free Trial!
- Completely Automated: The Hevo platform can be set up in just a few minutes and requires minimal maintenance.
- Transformations: Hevo provides preload transformations through Python code. It also allows you to run transformation code for each event in the pipelines you set up. You need to edit the event object’s properties received in the transform method as a parameter to carry out the transformation. Hevo also offers drag and drop transformations like Date and Control Functions, JSON, and Event Manipulation to name a few. These can be configured and tested before putting them to use.
- Connectors: Hevo supports 100+ integrations (including 40+ free sources) to SaaS platforms, files, Databases, analytics, and BI tools. It supports various destinations including Google BigQuery, Amazon Redshift, Snowflake Data Warehouses; Amazon S3 Data Lakes; and MySQL, SQL Server, TokuDB, DynamoDB, PostgreSQL Databases to name a few.
- Real-Time Data Transfer: Hevo provides real-time data migration, so you can have analysis-ready data always.
- 100% Complete & Accurate Data Transfer: Hevo’s robust infrastructure ensures reliable data transfer with zero data loss.
- Scalable Infrastructure: Hevo has in-built integrations for 100+ sources (including 40+ free sources) that can help you scale your data infrastructure as required.
- 24/7 Live Support: The Hevo team is available round the clock to extend exceptional support to you through chat, email, and support calls.
- Schema Management: Hevo takes away the tedious task of schema management & automatically detects the schema of incoming data and maps it to the destination schema.
- Live Monitoring: Hevo allows you to monitor the data flow so you can check where your data is at a particular point in time.
How to Upsell on Your WooCommerce Store?
There are a lot of strategies that you can employ to upsell and enhance your overall customers’ purchase experience while increasing your average order size as well. The essential ones are:
- Offering larger sizes
- Increased performance
- Motivating consumers to opt for higher specifications in a new phone such as a larger screen, higher capacity, or a more feature-rich phone
- Suggesting luxury options on a new car such as higher-quality interior materials, sound system, safety features, etc.
As an example, let’s say a customer is looking at purchasing a new iPhone for $900. After selecting the iPhone, the customer is immediately presented with several options for upgrading the storage or a more premium version of the iPhone with advanced features.
In this case, the merchant is trying to upsell the customer with a more expensive phone that has superior storage. Essentially they’re trying to get the customer to spend more on the same product that they are currently looking at.
Another easy way to coax your customers with an upsell is by offering a larger option. Customers perceive bigger items as being of higher value which makes it easier for merchants to justify the added cost. For example, on your checkout page, you could offer the shopper add-ons to the product they’re buying.
For instance, if they’re buying a t-shirt, you could offer two t-shirts at a 50% discount for the second sneaker. Alternatively, you could offer to include one t-shirt for every two t-shirts that are purchased. At the end of the day, it’s all about getting the customer to spend more so that you can increase the average order value.
Benefits of Upselling
You should not perceive upselling as a technique to merely increase sales. While that is what most often comes to mind, a good upselling strategy should focus on providing a better customer experience. For example, if you provide an online course for SEO skills, will one-to-one sessions help your students to get the most value out of the course?
Some of the advantages of Upselling are as follows:
- Increases the Customer Lifetime Value (CLV), which in turn drives up profitability
- Allows you to offer more personalized service and this improves customer relationships
- Attracts more valuable customers
- Helps to increase your sales and order value by prompting customers to add additional items to their carts
5 Best WooCommerce Upsell Plugins
There are hundreds of free WooCommerce plugins that can help you execute upselling campaigns for your customers.
Some of the best WooCommerce Upsell Plugins are:
If you are looking for a powerful plugin that can help you boost your sales then Beeketing is an excellent choice. Beeketing can help you to sell more by recommending upsell offers every time a visitor adds a product to their cart. According to their website, Beeketing’s WooCommerce plugin is currently powering marketing efforts for 32,000+ WooCommerce stores worldwide.
Beeketing’s ‘Boost Sales’ extension can be used on the cart page to motivate customers to spend more than originally intended through upsell offers for related items. When a customer adds a product to the cart, a popup appears to upsell them a list of better options that they might be interested in.
You can optionally enable Beeketing AI to automatically pick up the most appropriate products to recommend based on the customer’s shopping behavior.
- Responsive UI/UX that is optimized for any device both for you and your customers.
- Easy-to-track and real-time reports to help you analyze and optimize your marketing and conversions.
- Seamless integration with WooCommerce.
- Leverage AI to automatically select upsell products based on frequently bought together items
- Create custom rules to display upsell products at the cart stage
- Product templates are fully customizable. You can change the style and colors to suit your theme.
Price: You can get this plugin at $30/month.
If you’re looking for a WooCommerce plugin that can display your upsell, not just on the cart page, but on any page that influences customers to make purchase decisions, then OptinMonster is a great choice. OptinMonster has a great page-level targeting feature that you can configure to display targeted upsell popups in your cart, checkout, or any other relevant page in your buyer’s journey.
You can create upsell popups using one of OptinMonster’s 50+ pre-built responsive templates that are guaranteed to look good on mobile, desktop, or tablet. OptinMonster’s drag-and-drop builder also allows for fine-grained customization so that the upsell campaigns look exactly the way you want. This means that you don’t have to have coding skills to create your upsell campaigns and this saves you both time and money.
- Easy-to-create WooCommerce upsell popups
- Ships with a ton of prebuilt popup templates to help you save time
- 20+ animation effects to capture users’ attention
- Advanced page-level targeting that allows merchants to customize popups based on specific pages
- Provides A/B split testing functionality and accurate conversion analytics.
Price: OptinMonster has three pricing options, starting at $9/month.
3) One-Click Upsell Funnel for WooCommerce
As the name suggests, you can use the One Click Upsell Funnel for WooCommerce plugin to easily launch upsells on the cart and checkout page in a single click. This plugin is designed for post-purchase upsell offers which are triggered after the checkout is complete.
Customers can purchase the upsell products with a single click. It means that they don’t have to add the products to the cart again or fill out their credit card details again.
The upsell products or categories are displayed in a gallery slider.
- Easy-to-use upsell funnel builder
- Display offered products in a slider
- Smart tracking and reporting for your upsell offers
- Advanced targeting functionality that lets you set custom rules and target your offers based on conditions like coupon code used, items in cart, product categories, product tags, customer’s location, and much more
- Built-in translation to translate all text to your customer’s language
Price: You can get this plugin for $29/month billed annually.
Booster is another WooCommerce upsell plugin that helps you get started with upsells in minutes. It has hundreds of modules that cover the full spectrum of your marketing campaigns. You can use Booster to set up different discount upsells such as:
- Buy one, get one free
- Buy three, get 75% off of the next one
- Buy 2 pairs of sneakers, get a pair of socks for free
Even if you are not sure about which products to upsell, Booster’s AI algorithm can help recommend the perfect upsell offers based on past orders.
Booster also allows you to customize your cart and checkout pages. When you add related products, they are updated dynamically depending on the items the customer has added to their shopping cart.
- Mobile-friendly design to help reach every customer
- Gives you full control of how your WooCommerce upsells products are displayed in your online store
- Global upsells that can be set up to be displayed on every product
Price: Booster starts at $99/month for a single site.
5) Upsell Order Bump Offer for WooCommerce
Upsell Order Bump Offer for WooCommerce is a professional WooCommerce upsell plugin that is built to help WooCommerce merchants to boost conversions and revenue through upsell offers. This plugin allows WooCommerce merchants to display unique offers to their customers at the checkout page. The personalized upsell item is added to the shopper’s cart in one click. By just simply ticking the checkbox, the item is added to the customer’s existing order.
You can set up targeted upselling campaigns to recommend relevant offers for specific customers which increases the likelihood of customer satisfaction and in turn results in higher conversion rates.
- Create special offers on the checkout page
- Customize offer layouts according to the products
- Display multiple upsell offers on the checkout page
- Schedule your upsell offers for specific days to make the offers exclusive and available during those specific days
- The upsell offer can be placed on multiple locations on the Checkout page such as before the order summary, before or after the payment gateways, or before the place order button.
- Track your upsell campaign performance with sales reports and behavioral analytics.
Price: You can use the Free version of Upsell Order Bump Offer for the WooCommerce plugin or upgrade to a PRO version to get premium features for $69/month for a single site.
There are a ton of WooCommerce merchants that are leveraging upsell plugins and techniques to create effective product recommendations on their WooCommerce stores and you should too.
In this article, you have learned about a few upselling strategies and their benefits. It also provided information on the 5 WooCommerce Upsell plugins that can help you execute these strategies. Ultimately, it boils down to you to experiment and find out which plugin works best for your products.
Hevo Data, a No-code Data Pipeline provides you with a consistent and reliable solution to manage data transfer between a variety of sources and a wide variety of Desired Destinations with a few clicks.
Visit our Website to Explore Hevo
Hevo Data with its strong integration with 100+ data sources (including 40+ Free Sources) allows you to not only export data from your desired data sources such as WooCommerce & load it to the destination of your choice but also transform & enrich your data to make it analysis-ready. Hevo also allows integrating data from non-native sources using Hevo’s in-built Webhooks Connector. You can then focus on your key business needs and perform insightful analysis using BI tools.
Want to give Hevo a try?
Sign Up for a 14-day free trial and experience the feature-rich Hevo suite first hand. You may also have a look at the amazing price, which will assist you in selecting the best plan for your requirements.
Share your experience of understanding WooCommerce Upsell Plugins in the comment section below! We would love to hear your thoughts.