ETL stands for Extract, Transform, and Load. It is defined as a Data Integration service that combines data from various sources into a single, consistent data store that is loaded into a Data Warehouse or any other target system. ETL serves as the foundation for Machine Learning and Data Analytics workstreams. Through multiple business rules, ETL organizes and cleanses data in a way that caters to the Business Intelligence needs, like monthly reporting. But ETL is not just limited to this, it can also deal with advanced analytics. This can help improve end-user experiences and back-end processes. ETL is mainly used by an organization to:
- Extract Data from Multiple Sources
- Clean the Data to Improve Data Quality and Establish Consistency
- Load the Data into a Target Database
Best ETL Tools for 2021
Modern applications need real-time data for processing purposes. So, what is an ETL tool and what they are? There are numerous ETL Tools available in the market that can simplify the Data Management task while improving Data Warehousing. These tools can help you save valuable time, effort, and money. In this article, you will be taking a look at a few open-source free tools and some commercial, licensed tools that can cater to your business requirements.
- Most Popular ETL Tools in the Market
Most Popular ETL Tools in the Market
#1) Hevo Data
A fully managed No-code Data Pipeline platform like Hevo helps you integrate and load data from 100+ different sources to a destination of your choice in real-time in an effortless manner. Hevo with its minimal learning curve can be set up in just a few minutes allowing the users to load data without having to compromise performance. Its strong integration with umpteenth sources allows users to bring in data of different kinds in a smooth fashion without having to code a single line.Get Started with Hevo for Free
Check out some of the cool features of Hevo:
- Completely Automated: The Hevo platform can be set up in just a few minutes and requires minimal maintenance.
- Transformations: Hevo provides preload transformations through Python code. It also allows you to run transformation code for each event in the pipelines you set up. You need to edit the event object’s properties received in the transform method as a parameter to carry out the transformation. Hevo also offers drag and drop transformations like Date and Control Functions, JSON, and Event Manipulation to name a few. These can be configured and tested before putting them to use.
- Connectors: Hevo supports 100+ integrations to SaaS platforms, files, databases, analytics, and BI tools. It supports various destinations including Google BigQuery, Amazon Redshift, Snowflake Data Warehouses; Amazon S3 Data Lakes; and MySQL, MongoDB, TokuDB, DynamoDB, PostgreSQL databases to name a few.
- Real-Time Data Transfer: Hevo provides real-time data migration, so you can have analysis-ready data always.
- 100% Complete & Accurate Data Transfer: Hevo’s robust infrastructure ensures reliable data transfer with zero data loss.
- Scalable Infrastructure: Hevo has in-built integrations for 100+ sources like Google Analytics, that can help you scale your data infrastructure as required.
- 24/7 Live Support: The Hevo team is available round the clock to extend exceptional support to you through chat, email, and support calls.
- Schema Management: Hevo takes away the tedious task of schema management & automatically detects the schema of incoming data and maps it to the destination schema.
- Live Monitoring: Hevo allows you to monitor the data flow so you can check where your data is at a particular point in time.
Hevo Data Pricing
The aforementioned figure depicts the pricing plans billed annually.
The different pricing models are as follows:
- Free: This plan is offered free of cost.
- Starter: This plan ranges from $249/user/month to $999/user/month and varies depending on the number of events required for your use case ranging from 20M to 300M events. These figures are for annual billing. For monthly billing, the price ranges from $299/user/month to $1249/user/month
- Business: This plan is customizable. You can get a quote from them to get an affordable price that fits your budget.
You can learn more about Hevo Data’s pricing models here.
Pentaho is a key Business Intelligence software that provides OLAP services, Data Integration, reporting, Data Mining, information dashboards, Data Mining, and ETL capabilities. By utilizing Pentaho you can transform complex data into meaningful reports and extract valuable information from it.
Pentaho allows you to create reports in numerous formats like Excel, PDF, Text, CSV, HTML, and XML.
Here are the key features of Pentaho:
- Pentaho relies heavily on multi cloud-based and hybrid architectures.
- Pentaho provides Data Processing and Data Integration features from multiple data sources.
- It is built to focus on on-premise, batch ETL use cases.
- Pentaho works based on the interpretation of ETL procedures stored in XML format. Pentaho is better than a lot of its competitors since there is no code generation involved.
- It can be deployed on a cloud provider or in an on-premise provider.
Talend allows you to handle every stage of the Data Lifecycle and puts healthy data at your fingertips. Talend offers Data Integration, Data Integrity, Governance, API, and Application Integration.
Talend also offers support for virtually every cloud Data Warehouse and all major public cloud infrastructure providers.
Here are the key features of Talend:
- Talend Studio offers a User Interface to design the flow and transformation logic.
- It supports most on-premise and cloud databases with connectors to various software as a service offering.
- Talend functions based on a code generation approach. This means that the code has to be built every time there is a change in logic.
- Talend works best with Batch processes.
- Talend’s ace up their sleeve is in the area of hybrid cloud and multi-cloud. This is an area where customers with extremely high Data Protection requirements manage with more than on-premise and cloud systems.
#4) AWS Glue
AWS Glue is known as a serverless ETL service that sifts through your data, performs Data Preparation, Data Ingestion, Data Transformation, and builds a Data Catalog. AWS Glue offers all the capabilities required for Data Integration so that you can start analyzing your data.
You can then put it to use within minutes as opposed to months. AWS Glue offers code-based and visual interfaces to make Data Integration simpler. Users can easily access and find data using the AWS Glue Data Catalog.
Here are the key features of AWS Glue:
- AWS Glue is mainly batch-oriented but it can also support near real-time use cases based on Lambda functions.
- AWS Glue in tandem with Lambda functions allows it to implement a serverless full-fledged ETL Pipeline.
- It offers a pay-as-you-go pricing model that charges an hourly rate, billed by the second.
- AWS Glue offers numerous noteworthy features- automatic schema discovery, integrated Data Catalog.
#5) Informatica PowerCenter
Informatica PowerCenter offers a high-performance, scalable enterprise Data Integration solution that supports the entire Data Integration lifecycle. PowerCenter can easily deliver data on-demand which includes batch, real-time or Change Data Capture (CDC). It is also capable of managing the broadest range of Data Integration initiatives as a single platform.
Here are the key features of Informatica PowerCenter:
- Informatica PowerCenter simplifies the development of Data Marts and Data Warehouses.
- It meets the requirements for security, scalability, and collaboration through the capabilities like Data Masking, Metadata Management, Dynamic Partitioning, and High Availability.
- It is mainly a batch-based ETL tool.
- It offers integrations to popular Cloud Data Warehouses like DynamoDB, Amazon Redshift, etc.
#6) Apache Nifi
Apache Nifi was designed to automate the data flow between systems. Apache Nifi executes within a Java Virtual Machine (JVM) on a host operating system. The primary components of Apache Nifi on the JVM are as follows:
- Web Server
- Flow Controller
- FlowFile Repository
- Content Repository
- Provenance Repository
Here are the key features of Apache Nifi:
- Apache Nifi architecture offers a highly concurrent model without a developer having to worry about the general complexities of concurrency.
- It lends well to visual management and the creation of directed graphs of processors.
- Apache Nifi is inherently asynchronous. This allows for very high throughput and natural buffering even as flow rates and processing fluctuate.
- It also promotes the development of loosely coupled and cohesive components which can then be reused in other scenarios while promoting testable units.
- Apache Nifi takes error handling very seriously which makes it an effective tool to work with.
#7) Azure Data Factory
Azure Data Factory is known as a serverless, fully-managed Data Integration service. With Azure Data Factory, you can easily construct ETL processes in an intuitive environment without any prerequisite coding knowledge. You can then deliver integrated data to Azure Synapse Analytics to unearth valuable insights to guide business growth.
Here are the key features of Azure Data Factory:
- Azure Data Factory is cost-effective since it allows you to enjoy a pay-as-you-go pricing model.
- Azure Data Factory allows you to ingest all your Software as a Service (SaaS) and software data with over 90 built-in connectors.
- You can use Azure Data Factory to rehost SQL Server Integration Services in a few clicks with built-in CI/CD and Git support.
- You can use autonomous ETL to unlock operational efficiencies while enabling citizen integrators.
#8) IBM Infosphere DataStage
IBM Infosphere DataStage is an ETL tool that is a part of the IBM Infosphere and IBM Information Platforms Solutions suite. It leverages a graphical notation to construct Data Integration solutions. You can avail multiple versions of IBM Infosphere DataStage like the Enterprise Edition, Server Edition, and the MVS Edition.
Here are the key features of IBM Infosphere DataStage:
- IBM Infosphere DataStage is a batch-based ETL tool.
- It is an enterprise product focused on bigger organizations with legacy data systems.
- You can cut Data Movement costs with containers and virtualizations.
- With IBM Infosphere DataStage, you can easily separate ETL job design from runtime and deploy it on any cloud.
- It allows you to run any workload 30% faster with a parallel engine and workload balancing.
- You can also extend capabilities while preserving the key DataStage investments.
Blendo allows you to access your cloud data from Marketing, Sales, Support, or accounting to accelerate data-driven Business Intelligence and grow faster. Blendo supports natively built Data Connection types that make the ETL process a breeze. It allows you to automate Data Transformation and Data Management to get to BI insights faster.
Here are the key features of Blendo:
- With trustworthy data, analytics-ready schemas, and tables, you can accelerate your exploration to insights time, created and optimized for analysis with any BI software.
- You can sync and automate from any SaaS application into your Data Warehouse.
- You can use ready-made connectors to connect to any data source, which helps save countless hours and help you unearth actionable insights for your business.
- You can create integrations with inputs like HubSpot, MailChimp, Mixpanel, Salesforce, Shopify, Stripe, MySQL, Google Ads, and Facebook Ads among many more in a matter of minutes.
The StreamSets DataOps platform allows you to power your digital transformation and modern analytics with continuous data. It allows you to monitor, build, and run smart Data Pipelines at scale from a single point of login. StreamSets also allows you to quickly build and deploy batch, streaming, ML, CDC, and ETL pipelines. It also allows you to manage and monitor all your Data Pipelines from a single pane of glass.
Here are the key features of StreamSets:
- With flexible Hybrid and Multi-Cloud deployment, you can move easily between on-premises and multiple cloud environments without rework.
- You can reduce maintenance time by 80% with automatic updates and no rewrites.
- You can control gaps and eliminate blindspots through global transparency and control of all Data Pipelines at scale across Multi-Cloud and Hybrid frameworks.
- StreamSets allow you to keep jobs running even when structures and schemas change.
#11) Google Data Flow
Google Data Flow is known as a fully-managed service that can execute Apache Beam Pipelines within the Google Cloud ecosystem. It offers large-scale Data Processing with real-time computation. It also helps you minimize processing time, latency, and cost through batch processing and autoscaling.
Here are the key features of Google Data Flow:
- Google Data Flow allows you to focus on programming instead of managing server clusters as Data Flow’s serverless approach eliminates operational overhead from Data Engineering workloads.
- It enables simplified and fast Streaming Data Pipeline development with lower Data Latency when compared to its competitors.
- Google Data Flow provides virtually limitless capacity to manage your spiky and seasonal workloads without overspending through Resource Autoscaling working in tandem with cost-optimized Batch Processing capabilities.
- Google Data Flow’s real-time AI capabilities enable real-time reactions with near-human intelligence to voluminous events. Customers can build intelligent solutions ranging from anomaly detection and predictive analytics to real-time personalization and other advanced analytics use cases.
Xplenty is widely known as a Data Integration, ETL platform that streamlines Data Processing and saves valuable time. This allows your business to focus on insight instead of getting stuck with Data Preparation. It provides users with jargon and a coding-free environment that has a point-and-click interface. This enables simple Data Integration and Data Processing.
Here are the key features of Xplenty:
- Xplenty allows you to connect to over 140 sources including Data Warehouses, Databases, and Cloud-based SaaS platforms.
- You can leverage Xplenty’s Data Security team with the Xplenty platform’s Security Transformation features to ensure that your data is stored in a compliant and secure manner.
- Xplenty provides unlimited support by video and phone for all users to ensure a smooth User Experience.
- Xplenty is an easy-to-setup platform, that can handle millions of records per minute without latency.
#13) IRI Voracity
IRI Voracity is a Data Management platform that allows you to control your data in every stage of the lifecycle while extracting maximum value from it. It combines Data Integration, governance, migration, and discovery in a managed metadata framework built on Eclipse.
Voracity users can design batch or real-time operations that combine already optimized ETL operations. It also supports hundreds of data sources, and feeds visualization and BI targets directly as a “Production Analytics Platform”.
Here are the key features of IRI Voracity:
- You can optimize and combine data transformations with Hadoop or CoSort engines.
- You can improve the speed of legacy ETL tools or discard them by converting their mappings automatically.
- You can power CDR Data Warehouses, IoT, and Clickstream Analytics, plus billing and batch jobs.
- You can find, de-ID, risk-score, and classify PII to comply with privacy laws. You can capture changes, virtualize test data, improve quality, track lineage, and manage metadata with IRI Voracity.
Xtract.io is well-known as a web data extraction service that allows you to accelerate your data-driven global business using AI-powered Data Aggregation and Extraction. You can grow your business with their suite of enterprise-grade platforms and solutions.
Xtract.io believes in building tailored solutions which provide their customers the flexibility and agility that they seek. Xtract.io also gives precise location data for you to get accurate and detailed insights into your market, customers, competitors, and product.
Here are the key features of Xtract.io:
- Xtract.io utilizes AI/ML technologies like Image Recognition, NLP, and Predictive Analytics to deliver accurate information.
- It also combines data from a plethora of sources, removes duplicates, and enriches them. This allows the data to be more consumable.
- Xtract.io builds powerful APIs to push a steady stream of fresh data directly into your premises. This includes both on-premises and in-cloud frameworks.
- Xtract.io’s powerful dashboards and reports let decision-makers and analysts make quick data-driven decisions at a glance.
Jaspersoft is widely regarded as a leader in the Data Integration segment that focuses on ETL. It is a part of the Jaspersoft Business Intelligence Suite that offers a customizable, flexible, and developer-friendly Business Intelligence platform tailored to each customer’s needs.
Here are the key features of Jasper:
- It allows you to build data visualizations and reports to exact design specifications.
- With Multi-tenant support, you can manage security to data and access resources for all your SaaS customers.
- It allows you to deploy using any method. It is 100% open architecture and can be run anywhere on anything. You can design, manage, and embed analytics and reports with programmatic control easily.
#16) DB Software Laboratory
DB Software Laboratory offers an end-to-end Data Integration solution to the top companies of the world. It designs products that help automate business decisions.
Utilizing this automated process a user can take a look at the ETL processes at any time to get a view of where it exactly stands.
Here are the key features of DB Software Laboratory:
- DB Software Laboratory is a commercially licensed ETL tool that is easy to use and has a fairly fast processing speed.
- DB Software Laboratory can work easily with OLE Database, Text, SQL Server, XML, etc.
#17) Sybase ETL
Sybase ETL includes the Sybase ETL Server and Sybase ETL Development. Sybase ETL Development is a GUI (Graphical User Interface) that is used for designing and creating Data Transformation projects and jobs. It provides a complete simulation and debugging environment that is designed to speed up the development of ETL Transformation flows.
Sybase ETL Server is a distributed and scalable grid engine that connects to data sources and extracts and loads data to data targets using Transformation Flows.
Here are the key features of Sybase ETL:
- It provides the ability to extract data from numerous sources like Sybase IQ, Sybase ASE, Oracle, Microsoft Access, Microsoft SQL Server, and many more.
- It allows you to load data into a target database through delete, update, and insert statements, or in bulk.
- It provides you with the ability to cleanse, merge, convert, and split data streams. This can then be used to insert, update, or delete data in a data target.
#18) SAS Data Integration Studio
SAS Data Integration Studio is well-known as a visual design tool that implements, manages, and builds Data Integration processes. It can carry out these operations irrespective of Data Souces, platforms, or applications. It has a multiple-user, easy-to-manage environment that allows collaboration on large enterprise projects with repeatable processes.
Here are the key features of SAS Data Integration Studio:
- Its customizable metadata tree allows you to visualize, display, and understand metadata.
- It displays the ability to distribute Data Integration tasks across any platform as well as virtually connect any target data store or source.
- It has a dedicated GUI for profiling data that makes it easier to repair source system issues while retaining the business issues for use in any Data Management process.
- SAS Data Integration Studio also allows interactive testing and debugging of jobs during development. Apart from this, it also supports full access to logs.
#19) SAP BusinessObjects Data Integrator
This is a Data Integration and ETL platform that allows you to extract data from any source, transform, integrate, and format that data into any target database. The focus of this tool is to extract and transform data.
This tool also provides a basic set of commands to cleanse and document your data. Apart from this, the transformations or applied business rules are built via a graphical user interface. This makes it easy to follow through with your workflows.
Here are the key features of SAP BusinessObjects Data Integrator:
- SAP BusinessObjects Data Integrator allows you to execute, schedule, and monitor batch jobs.
- You can use this tool to build any type of Data Mart or Data Warehouse as well.
- It provides support for Sun Solaris, Windows, AIX, and Linux platforms.
Skyvia is a Cloud Platform that offers cloud to cloud backup, data access via OData Interface, management via SQL, and no-coding Data Integration. Skyvia is highly scalable since it has flexible pricing plans for every product which makes it suitable for all types of companies ranging from enterprise companies to small startups.
It also offers contemporary Cloud agility that eliminates the need for manual upgrades or deployment.
Here are the key features of Skyvia:
- Skyvia provides you with the ability to preserve source data relations in the target.
- It also offers data import without duplicates complete with bi-directional synchronization.
- Skyvia also gives you pre-defined templates for common Data Integration scenarios.
- You can easily automate data collection from disparate Cloud sources to a Data Warehouse or database.
- You can easily migrate your business data between cloud apps automatically with just a few clicks.
This blog discusses the 20 best ETL tools currently present in the market. Based on your requirements, you can leverage one of these to boost your productivity through a marked improvement in operational efficiency.
Extracting complex data from a diverse set of data sources can be a challenging task and this is where Hevo saves the day!Visit our Website to Explore Hevo
Hevo offers a faster way to move data from Databases or SaaS applications into your Data Warehouse to be visualized in a BI tool. Hevo is fully automated and hence does not require you to code.