Data Export MySQL Workbench: 2 Easy Methods
Often, there is a need to migrate data from MySQL to external sources, which may be to a file (CSV, Excel), another database, a cloud platform, or some other external tool. The movement of data is required when you want to perform analytics on the data (which may not be possible in MySQL itself) or to move the data into a modern ecosystem for better compatibility.
Table of Contents
This article will give you a comprehensive guide on MySQL and its key features in brief. You will also explore various methods to export data from MySQL. The primary focus of this article is the Data Export MySQL Workbench feature which will also be discussed in further sections. By the end of this article, you will gain complete knowledge about these methods and their implementation.
Table of Contents
- What is MySQL?
- Top 6 Key Features of MySQL
- Why exporting a database is important?
- Methods to Export Data from MySQL
What is MySQL?
MySQL is an accessible and popular open-source Relational Database. It is widely used by many small and big industries when there is a need to store structured data and perform quick analytics to understand the behavior of the data.
Key Features of MySQL
Some of the most important key features of MySQL are as follows:
- Free Source: Free and easy to use.
- ANSI SQL: MySQL uses the standard form known as ANSI SQL with a universe of Data Analytical functions.
- Driver availability: With the help of available drivers, it can easily integrate with many programming languages and modern tools.
- Integration: Easy integration with operating systems.
- Support huge databases: MySQL provides support for large databases, up to 50 million rows or more in a table.
- Memory Usage: The default file size limit for a table is 4GB, but this can be increased to a limit of 8 million terabytes (TB) (provided the operating system supports it).
To know more about MySQL, visit this link.
You will have a much easier time understanding the ways for the Data Export MySQL Workbench feature if you have gone through the following aspects:
- MySQL Server running on-premise or on the cloud.
- Basic knowledge of Data Export MySQL Workbench feature.
Note: This article uses MySQL 8.0.20 to demonstrate the Data Export MySQL Workbench feature.
Simplify Integrations Using Hevo’s No-code Data Pipeline
Hevo Data helps you directly transfer data from 100+ data sources (including 30+ free sources) to Business Intelligence tools, Data Warehouses, or a destination of your choice in a completely hassle-free & automated manner. Hevo is fully managed and completely automates the process of not only loading data from your desired source but also enriching the data and transforming it into an analysis-ready form without having to write a single line of code. Its fault-tolerant architecture ensures that the data is handled in a secure, consistent manner with zero data loss.
Hevo takes care of all your data preprocessing needs required to set up the integration and lets you focus on key business activities and draw a much more powerful insight on how to generate more leads, retain customers, and take your business to new heights of profitability. It provides a consistent & reliable solution to manage data in real-time and always have analysis-ready data in your desired destination.Get Started with Hevo for Free
Check out what makes Hevo amazing:
- Real-Time Data Transfer: Hevo with its strong Integration with 100+ Sources (including 30+ Free Sources), allows you to transfer data quickly & efficiently. This ensures efficient utilization of bandwidth on both ends.
- Data Transformation: It provides a simple interface to perfect, modify, and enrich the data you want to transfer.
- Secure: Hevo has a fault-tolerant architecture that ensures that the data is handled in a secure, consistent manner with zero data loss.
- Tremendous Connector Availability: Hevo houses a large variety of connectors and lets you bring in data from numerous Marketing & SaaS applications, databases, etc. such as HubSpot, Marketo, MongoDB, Oracle, Salesforce, Redshift, etc. in an integrated and analysis-ready form.
- Simplicity: Using Hevo is easy and intuitive, ensuring that your data is exported in just a few clicks.
- Completely Managed Platform: Hevo is fully managed. You need not invest time and effort to maintain or monitor the infrastructure involved in executing codes.
- Live Support: The Hevo team is available round the clock to extend exceptional support to its customers through chat, email, and support calls.
Why exporting a database is important?
- Back up for catastrophic system failure: Exporting a database creates a backup that you can use to restore your database in case of system failure.
- Data versioning: Specific versions on your database can be saved by exporting the database from MySQL. You can analyze or restore any particular version of the database.
Methods to Export Data from MySQL
There are various ways by which you can export MySQL data, i.e., by using the in-house Data Export MySQL Workbench feature or programmatically (Python, Java, etc.) or by some other ways. Here you will look into the most popular and easy way to export the data from MySQL:
Before we start discussing different methods to export data, let’s first consider the following points:
- The schema we have defined is “test”.
- The table name is “orders”.
- The orders contain the following attributes:
- order_id: Id of the order placed.
- order_date: Date of the order placed.
- custormer_id: Id of the customer who has placed the order.
- order_status: Status of the order (CLOSED, PENDING_PAYMENT, COMPLETE, PROCESSING, PAYMENT_REVIEW, PENDING, ON_HOLD, CANCELED, SUSPECTED_FRAUD).
- The MySQL Server’s process should have write access to the target folder containing the target CSV file.
- The target CSV file must not exist.
Method 1: Data Export MySQL Workbench Feature
The Data Export MySQL Workbench feature provides an inbuilt option to export the data into CSV format.
You can download Data Export MySQL Workbench from here. Below is the step-by-step procedure on how you can utilize the Data Export MySQL Workbench feature with ease.
- First, prepare the query and execute it to get the desired result set.
- From the result panel, click on the Export option.
- On the save dialog box, enter the file name, choose CSV as the file format, and click the Save button as shown by the image below.
Method 2: Using MySQL Commands
The simple way to export data from MySQL is to use the inbuilt feature of extracting the data by using the SQL approach. This command exports the data into CSV format with the specified “delimiter” and “escape characters”.
CSV files are the best when we talk about Data Analytics because of their structured format and ease of integration with the existing available tools.
Step 1: First, we have to prepare the query which contains the desired data to be exported. Here, we are exporting the data where order_status is COMPLETED.
Step 2: Mention the optional parameters like field delimiter, field enclosing option, and execute the query using execute option in the Workbench.
- Step 3: On successful completion of the query, the CSV will be exported to the mentioned location.
Below are the schematics for the MySQL command :
Below is the command for your reference :
SELECT order_id, order_date, customer_id, order_status FROM test.orders WHERE order_status = 'COMPLETE' INTO OUTFILE 'c:/Temp/output/Completed/orders.csv' FIELDS ENCLOSED BY '' TERMINATED BY ',' ESCAPED BY '"' LINES TERMINATED BY ' ';
There are a variety of options in the market to migrate or export data from the MySQL server to the required destination. One of the popular in-house options among them is the Data Export MySQL Workbench feature which has been discussed in this article. Now, you have a comprehensive idea of how you can easily export data using the Data Export MySQL Workbench and SQL commands.Visit our Website to Explore Hevo
Businesses can use automated platforms like Hevo Data to set the integration and handle the ETL process. It helps you directly transfer data from a source of your choice to a Data Warehouse, Business Intelligence tools, or any other desired destination in a fully automated and secure manner without having to write any code and will provide you with a hassle-free experience.
Want to take Hevo for a spin? Sign Up for a 14-day free trial and experience the feature-rich Hevo suite first hand. You can also have a look at the unbeatable pricing that will help you choose the right plan for your business needs.
Have you used the Data Export MySQL Workbench feature? Let us know in the comments section below.